• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] just need a little help with some questions

mudflap2020

Android Enthusiast
Ok so I had a virgin mobile galaxy victory before and I not new to rooting and flashing Ron's and kernels. But I have a few questions: what is Knox? How do I know if I have it? What are the downsides to knox?

Before with rooting my victory there was less security measures and everything was simpler and not to mention we had twrp recovery. Btw does this phone have twrp recovery?
Lastly, my phone is the newer version of gs3 with mk5 already preinstalled, what should I do step by step to root, get a custom recovery and not run into problems?

I heard people who have 4.3 (like me) and flashed Roms for older versions of android can get soft or hard bricked. I'm just scared because I don't want to mess my phone up

I just got my phone too and rooted it with the above mentioned link. Yes mine had mk5. It's was very easy to root with the newbie guide ☺

Ok thank you but what about knox what affect does it have if I root it with the mentioned link. How does it affect warranty flashing Roms. I just want to know becuade I'm not a newbie to rooting but I don't know what knox boot loader is or does and I have best buy warranty I don't want to void it.

Also I just really love this phone has the same internals as my old victory. But everything on that phone was capped like it was segregated from unleashing its full power when I was done with it I had twrp recovery with 400hz gpu and 1.78 hz cup dual core btw the developers for kernels like jerryscript and others had to work hard to unleash the phone. But on this phone what kernels are available any with gpu overclock? Can I flash any generic gs3 kernel or do they have to be for this phone? Roms I understand are carrier specific so I can only flash virgin mobile galaxy s3 roms only. Thank you for reading and answering this page seems to have more traffic than the victory lte virgin mobile which is surprising considering how expensive this phone its over the victory but he'll why am in even talking about this, thanks for reading and happy holidays

So I am off to work but for now read every single thread on page one of this forum, starting with the stickies. You will learn a lot from the posts on here, a lot of great members with great info, especially TheBritton and jdsingle76. If you need any specific answers, PM me or post. I use Tapatalk while at work, but that only gives me the basics, some things I need to be on my computer for. Will be back on the forums really late tonight as usual, always glad to help out or answer where I can. Welcome to the forums!

Quick answer on Knox and warranty: rooting has always voided warranty, none of us are strangers to that. Tripping Knox does the same thing, except now you can't cover your tracks like with some unrooting methods. You only really need to know this-DO NOT use Odin to try to "return to stock" with a pre-Knox bootloader. Period. End of story. You will be beyond anybody's help if you do, for now at least. Read the links I provided in my previous reply, and like I said, if you have the time today, read the threads on page one of this forum.

hey if I justn want to root and not install any roms I don't need to flash mk5 rom from the britton in his mk5 rooting for newbie,s right I just need to flash superuser right

holddown volume up home button and power button till the samsung logo it should say recovery loading in blue in the top left corner of your screen

any kernels that overclock up to 1.7 plus and does it have to be a virgin mobile specific made kernel made specifically for this phone or can I go over to xda and flash an at&t or tmobile kernel and have no problems, I want no problems but I want at least 1.7 ghz overclock and if possible a gpu clock that suppasses 400mhz of the stock kernel thank you for reading.

First off It has to be specifically made I'm almost positive on this. Also why do you want to over-clock what are you trying to run? Every app runs smoothly on this phone. There is no need for it yet, and it only heats your phone up faster. If you want to over-clock you might have to wait for the roms to update and it is added into it.

Ok thank you but what about knox what affect does it have if I root it with the mentioned link. How does it affect warranty flashing Roms. I just want to know becuade I'm not a newbie to rooting but I don't know what knox boot loader is or does and I have best buy warranty I don't want to void it.

Also I just really love this phone has the same internals as my old victory. But everything on that phone was capped like it was segregated from unleashing its full power when I was done with it I had twrp recovery with 400hz gpu and 1.78 hz cup dual core btw the developers for kernels like jerryscript and others had to work hard to unleash the phone. But on this phone what kernels are available any with gpu overclock? Can I flash any generic gs3 kernel or do they have to be for this phone? Roms I understand are carrier specific so I can only flash virgin mobile galaxy s3 roms only. Thank you for reading and answering this page seems to have more traffic than the victory lte virgin mobile which is surprising considering how expensive this phone its over the victory but he'll why am in even talking about this, thanks for reading and happy holidays

I want to overclock becuase I run need for speed max settings gta vice city maxed out dead trigger 2 high settings and asphalt 7 but all the mentioned games are running at 25 fps including nova 3 which runs native 720p but doesnt have full textures or affects on the iphone variant running at a lower clock speed don't know why but any who that's why I want the extra horsepower hey I was complaining with my victory which has the same soc and the resolution was lower and I had it overclocked. Although devs had to tweak out some things for that phone it ran great the low res made it faster. So this phone running in nd 720p has to render and process more with the same internals mind you that it isn't capped like the victory was and the cpu had done extra cache so I heard. This phone performs exceptional whennot in uunder high demanding games like nova or just any poorly ported or un optimized gameloft game but for what I want to use it for I need it. And hey if I don't need to utilize the extra power ill just lower theco ok cms and governors with trickster mod which is an excellent mod tool along with pimp my Rom, but beware use it only if you know what you are doing becuase it can Bork your system but if you know what you are doing then pimp my rom is really cool.

I've seen people take their s3 on YouTube to 2hz and beyond but that is way overkill it'll fire your die your cpu your hand your phone I know how good 1.7ghz is he'll these games are running at fight resolution so it needs the push just look at the Sony Xperia ultra full 1080p with Snapdragon 800 @2.2ghz and adreno 330 for 540 more lines of resolution compared to our phone at the rate phones are going a smartphone will eventually be the equivalent of a low, to mid end x86 computer with dedicated graphics, the problem is that phones don't have heatsinks for cpus so they have to run cool and be power efficient all thanks to arm

Realistically, the super-gamer scenario excluded, I wouldn't recommend overclocking at all. 1512 mhZ with dual core is more than awesome enough, but if you want to eat bootloops for breakfast, by all means overclock. I do bump up my minimum to 540 just for quicker response when turning it on, but plenty of users have mentioned dropping their max below 1512 and not noticing any difference in performance. And remember, benchmark scores mean pretty much nothing in terms of actual performance.

I don't care about benchmark scores I had a phone before (victory ) which technically had the same chipset and it wasn't rated for 1.78ghz clock speed, but with 1.7 it was butter that phone was kinda s eggregated and locked down, what I mean is that with the same chipset as this phone it had the worst jagged, performance even considering the lower resolution benefit was unpolished in games, but in everyday use it was golden and warm. What I'm trying to say is that I'm familiar with the chipset, but not the software like all the shifty unholy ota updates and features of this phone minus the basic touchwiz interface l, I'm pretty sure that its beneficial for a this phone considering it has to work extra hard to push hd content. I first noticed this phone was super fast but not all the time, like the stock kernel liked to jump a lot from frequencies and when I rooted and set it to performance and 1.5 the phone never shudders except when doing user powerful gaming. Try it yourself, try downloading nova 3 or need for speed most wanted or asphalt 7 or 8 or gangster Vegas, gta 3& vice city or dead trigger on high settings. Do you get above 30fps? I know I sound like a glorious pc gaming master race but I'm not I love these games on this beautiful colorful screen and I want to play them without a hit in performance I hope you understand what I'm talking about. Thanks for replies an especially the Britton, I feel like I just got a shout out when the most/ very popular people say something on my thread but any input is nice.

I'm feeling you buddy, don't worry! Everyone can and should use their device in the way they see fit, the rest of us just try to give the best advice we can even if we don't do exactly the same thing as another user with our phones. And the benchmark remark was just a general observation, not linked to anything specific you had posted. I wish you luck, I won't be too much help for your particular desire as I don't game on my phone, but will post if I have an answer to anything in general!

Is there a way to summon the kitty cat man? The mr. Brittons? Does he have any imput? Will I ever find I uber powerful kernel to flash? Tune in next time to find out!

You know dev options are hidden to access it go to about phone and start tapping everywhere and you eventually find it if not Google 4.3 hidden dev options. But anyways in dev options THERE'S an Anti aliasing option, games like despicable me, real racing 3 grand theft auto and many other visually benefit from this, although it can make your game unplayable like asphalt 7 goes to about 22-25 frames per second

What is the absolute limit we can take this soc?, many phones use it, its popular yet capped in many phones in regards to performance .

The new top of the line snapdragon 800 soc can reach 2.2 ghz on stock kernel, STOCK KERNEL! and the gpu clock rate is just 50mhz although it has 're amped architecture and features like some new open gles support and other goodies! But usually Qualcomm innovates in just clock speeds and just adding more, come on just look at the adreno 220 with overclocking it is literally the Same as a 225 and the 220 is a capped 225 even tough it was in some flagship on its prime like the evo 3d and others.

Is there a way to summon the kitty cat man? The mr. Brittons? Does he have any imput? Will I ever find I uber powerful kernel to flash? Tune in next time to find out!

Lol!! That me laugh out loud for sure!
Right now, the best custom kernel is the DKP kernel. But as struckn pointed out overclocking is really not necessary but if you did you shouldn't be able to go above 1.7GHz without stability issues any higher will likely cause freezes and would require increasing the stock voltage.

It is a proven fact that in some cases overclocking to a certain point actually decreases performance. Even though you have a higher clock cycle there are more error rates. I have ran into this first hand with my computers. Recently, I successfully overclocked a 2.8GHz quad core to 3.4GHz but the benchmark tests actually decreased as a result.

The top of the line Android games have minimal requirements suitable for our stock processor. Believe me, I know how fun it is to overclock and I have done it to my S3 plenty of times to see what kind of score I can get but I doubt you will see any real world day to day improvement in doing so with this device. Dual core 1.5GHz is plenty fast. Especially with the default ondemand governor.

Back
Top Bottom