• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] just need a little help with some questions

Mr.mittens, sorry mr.Britton, I dont care about benchmarks but know about the errors you speak of, I do however dont give anything about the minimal requirements look at real racing 3 on low(default on our phone) then use rr3 graphics to change to high and very high, I understand the minimal requirements In ram and clock speed, but look at the jump he'll it looks like psp to ps4 comparison, I understand the framerate issues in doing so but thats exacly why I need a little bit of nitrous to chug on, mr kitty cat man I can explain it like this its like your hungry and you need some treats to chug on for the day. This soc struggles at 1.5 to run asphalt 7 natively at 720p on defualt graphics settings for this phone the game with the graphics look stunning but the frames just look at google play reviews for s3 users. Can the cat see what I'm talking about? Will the golden premium member join again? Will anyone else join this discussion, and how long before mr.mittens comes back to answer? Tune in next time to find out!

No no no, my thread will stay on the top please, I know people have some imput on this topic, surely the thundercat has some imput! ( by thunder cat i mean the britton)

Mr.mittens, sorry mr.Britton, I dont care about benchmarks but know about the errors you speak of, I do however dont give anything about the minimal requirements look at real racing 3 on low(default on our phone) then use rr3 graphics to change to high and very high, I understand the minimal requirements In ram and clock speed, but look at the jump he'll it looks like psp to ps4 comparison, I understand the framerate issues in doing so but thats exacly why I need a little bit of nitrous to chug on, mr kitty cat man I can explain it like this its like your hungry and you need some treats to chug on for the day. This soc struggles at 1.5 to run asphalt 7 natively at 720p on defualt graphics settings for this phone the game with the graphics look stunning but the frames just look at google play reviews for s3 users. Can the cat see what I'm talking about? Will the golden premium member join again? Will anyone else join this discussion, and how long before mr.mittens comes back to answer? Tune in next time to find out!

Although I'm not as brilliant as the "kitty man" I'll give you my two cents please take the time to read this....

If you have anti aliasing enabled that's going to be your main killer performance wise. Believe me when I got my new pc I ran crysis 3 full settings no problems 60 fps, but when I turned on antaliasing it killed my performance try turning that off. I really didn't notice a difference on pc's, and I imagine its the same for phones. Also if you turn that off there is a good chance of you being able to run the game still at very high. Plus antialiasing affects THE GRAPHICS CARD's Performance not your processor so I don't think that overclocking would affect your performance vastly. This is of course is what happens with pc and its what I think happens with phones too. Again Antialiasing affects the GPU not the CPU. Can you overclock a GPU on a phone?

Thanks for your 2 cents I already kinda knew as kills performance so I turned it off, as for gpu overclock I know its possible but it is much harder than cpu overclock it is possible I have seen it on android phones before

Mr kitty man do you know a link or anything for stock kernel that is flashable with mk5, 4.3 knox boot loader just in case I need or want it in the future? Remember stock kernel for 4.3 knox boot loader and mk5 baseband I dont want no Bollywood or errors like that remember I'm unfamiliar with this software but not hardware or capabilities and stuff like that

mr britton "Thunder Cat" said thats its 1.7ghz before it gets unstable. So I wouldn't go further than that unless your just testing the limits. Your going to be use it regularly so overclock it to 1.7ghz. That is for our phone.

on my phone I could only get up to 1.78ghz before it would get unstable, now I'm running cm 11 and I think its smoother with the stock clock and cm 11 than it was oc'd with the 4.3 ROM imo

The name is Britton.

Also, I'm not sure what else needs to be known about overclocking. Don't overclock. It's not needed. That's pretty much the end of it. As for stock kernel, there isn't one so backup everything with custom recovery.

The end.

mudflap2020, the new thread you created questioning overclocking is the same question already asked and answered in the other thread you created so I have moved your duplicate questions into the first thread.

Let's not post multiple threads asking the same question because it does clutter up the forum. Creating multiple threads for a question already answered is unnecessary and causes more confusion. Thanks for understanding.

Holy crud I almost soiled myself, I installed dkp kernel, at 1.7 it was golden, but then you see I was eating some Doritos and got bold and tried to slide to 1.8+ I then tried to load asphalt and loud beeping or ringing sound, phone freezes and reboots, thanks to no frills overclock it doesnt save the settings if there is an unclean boot thank god for that I was about to shoot out a shit volcano of kittie cats so after that it rebooted just fine and I changed the clocks to 1.4 min and max and I also put it on performance. My fault for not backing up before flashing dkp, but, am I now stuck with this kernel? With no stock flashable stock kernel I can't revert as i didn't backup, no problems running this kernel at stock clocks or 1.7 but I'm kinda mad and sad I'm stuck with this kernel forever! And getting a stock mk5 knox flashable zip stock kernel is going to be a pain in the processor, as I'm still afraid of knox like its hiv for my phone. But I'm still pretty sure that I could flash a package like that anyways becuase it wouldn't change boot loader and knox would allow such an action without a hardbrick (aka phone kamikaze) isn't this right britton? Please clear up if flashing stock kernel that predates knox would hardbrick or not.

As I stated a few times in this thread, 1.7GHz is the highest you can go. Glad you've learned that lesson yourself with no ill effects.

There is no stock kernel by itself. If you don't take a backup before installing dkp kernel then you're only option is to reinstall the MK5 rom.

Lessons learned: Listen to the advice you ask for from guides. Always take backups.

Holy crud I almost soiled myself, I installed dkp kernel, at 1.7 it was golden, but then you see I was eating some Doritos and got bold and tried to slide to 1.8+ I then tried to load asphalt and loud beeping or ringing sound, phone freezes and reboots, thanks to no frills overclock it doesnt save the settings if there is an unclean boot thank god for that I was about to shoot out a shit volcano of kittie cats so after that it rebooted just fine and I changed the clocks to 1.4 min and max and I also put it on performance. My fault for not backing up before flashing dkp, but, am I now stuck with this kernel? With no stock flashable stock kernel I can't revert as i didn't backup, no problems running this kernel at stock clocks or 1.7 but I'm kinda mad and sad I'm stuck with this kernel forever! And getting a stock mk5 knox flashable zip stock kernel is going to be a pain in the processor, as I'm still afraid of knox like its hiv for my phone. But I'm still pretty sure that I could flash a package like that anyways becuase it wouldn't change boot loader and knox would allow such an action without a hardbrick (aka phone kamikaze) isn't this right britton? Please clear up if flashing stock kernel that predates knox would hardbrick or not.
I'm glad you learned your lesson, but why didn't you listen to us? You can really screw up your phone by not following instructions. People on here post their advice sometimes from past experiences when they say no more than 1.78ghz You really shouldn't go above that. We aren't here to lie and deceive people. I know Mr Britton is very good with the s3 and rooting etc.., but that doesn't mean to not listen to the other methods/members. I even quoted from his post to not go over. Nevertheless I'm glad you didn't break your phone just listen to other people. You are always allowed to ask us stupid questions, believe if you saw my p.m messages you would think I couldn't turn an android on.

Thank you,
Eric

Can I flash the mk5 4.3 rom, I have knox and that rom is for people who dont have knox so wouldn't it brick my phone becuase it would modify knox? Is the 4.3 rom that is meant for users who haven't done the ota update compatible for me a user that had done the ota update? Is it safe the flash given I have knox, 4.3 mk5? If anything I just want to know if I can use it if I ever want to revert to stock kernel, it just seems people on this forum are at different levels.

If anything can you guys link any roms that would work under my status I'm much confused on what I can flash without knox going crazy (stupid knox is like hiv) remember I can only flash things that won't trigger knox

If anything can you guys link any roms that would work under my status I'm much confused on what I can flash without knox going crazy (stupid knox is like hiv) remember I can only flash things that won't trigger knox

Give me a few minutes so I can get on my computer to give you a detailed reply. Using Tapatalk right now, but computer is better for some things!

Can I flash the mk5 4.3 rom, I have knox and that rom is for people who dont have knox so wouldn't it brick my phone becuase it would modify knox? Is the 4.3 rom that is meant for users who haven't done the ota update compatible for me a user that had done the ota update? Is it safe the flash given I have knox, 4.3 mk5? If anything I just want to know if I can use it if I ever want to revert to stock kernel, it just seems people on this forum are at different levels.

OK, for starters, I would presume that you have read through the sticky threads very carefully, at least the OP of each. Lots of information there, that is why they are stickied. Britton does an awesome job maintaining his threads, and I try to do the same. So, to touch on your questions:

Anybody can flash JD's MK5 ROM. Anybody. The upside to his ROM is that someone, like myself, who does not have the Knox bootloader (we call it "Knoxed up" now), can safely flash his ROM without fear of getting Knoxed up. Nothing that "modifies" Knox (it can't really be modified, it either is on your phone or isn't); what his ROM does, in conjunction with SuperSU, is put Knox in its place so that it can't bother you. You will never even know it is still on your phone, for all intents and purposes. The ONLY thing that will cause Knox to act up is using Odin for pushing a .tar file meant to restore the MG2 or MD7 bootloader (bootloader is not modem, always keep this in mind; flashing modems is 100% safe if you need to try to improve your signal/data connectivity). Also, stay away from any advice telling you to try the MD4 bootloader from Sprint. Here is the current rule regarding Odin: ONLY use Odin for pushing a custom recovery. Period. If you don't already have Philz Touch installed, I would highly recommend doing so now, and then put Odin on the back burner unless you need it for another custom recovery (which you shouldn't once you have Philz). Knox WILL F your phone up big time if you try to replace it with another bootloader, which is only possible via Odin, NOT by flashing a custom ROM from custom recovery. Therefore, the answer to your question about available ROM's to flash: all of them. Do JD's first, get it running the way you want, then make a backup which you will never get rid of, because this will be your fallback stock ROM if you ever need it. I get rid of backups I no longer need to free up space as I progress through various ROM's, but I always keep his original file and two backups on my phone for a rainy day. After you have used that one, feel free to try anything from the OP of my CM 11 thread, I have already done all the dirty work of getting those ready to flash, as have several other users further on in that thread. Post number three in my tutorial has links to tons of ROM's on XDA as well, and a lot of them are upgrading to 4.4.x as we speak. There are also some pretty nice ones based on stock 4.3 as well, like M.O.A.R. and Static Power, if you prefer more of a stock feel. Basically the sky is the limit. DO NOT fear Knox, just respect it and put it in the corner where it belongs! Let me know if you need further clarification, PM or post is fine either way.

Back
Top Bottom