• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [MOD] Universal LTE Virgin Mobile APN Fix [WIP] CM/AOSP 4.4.x

I think the only rom that works 100% on the triband model s3 (the one you have) is octos. They have a triband build.
octos for triband sphL710t

Ah, I see. Thank you! I'll give this a go now. :)

*edit*

A few hours in and LTE, is a go! I did have to use Google Messenger for SMS/MMS though, and I've noticed it MMS doesn't work if Wifi is on. Obviously this isn't difficult to work around, but does anybody know of a solution for this? [I'm happy as-is, but if I could avoid having to toggle WiFi for the sake of MMS, that would be nice]

Last edited:
Ah, I see. Thank you! I'll give this a go now. :)

*edit*

A few hours in and LTE, is a go! I did have to use Google Messenger for SMS/MMS though, and I've noticed it MMS doesn't work if Wifi is on. Obviously this isn't difficult to work around, but does anybody know of a solution for this? [I'm happy as-is, but if I could avoid having to toggle WiFi for the sake of MMS, that would be nice]
I don't have the triband myself, but try asking in the octos thread. Those guys are super helpful. Devs and users alike are all willing to help resolve issues.

I have a "Data Done Right" phone from Virgin.... If I show you my apns-conf.xml from the phone, and the APN backup I got from APN backup & restore, can you look at them and tell me why it isnt working and maybe help me?? I put a new carbon 4.4.4 rom on my LG VOLT... and LTE 4g, 3g, nothing works...

Attachments

@MopedRyder I have been trying to flash this on the moto e and while the previous versions would flash and make 3g work the R2 build .zip that is up crashes twrp and I get an output saying the .zip is corrupt. I am working with a few others over at the MOTO E 2015 xda forum on getting LTE working for VM and Sprint users http://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...nt/rom-cm12-0-moto-e-2015-lte-t3086497/page27 So far this is what we have been able to do with VM:

1. Proper Carrier label
2. Proper numeric operator
3. Proper default network
4. Proper default network subscription
5. Proper Carrier APNs selection (when kernel is toggled to permissive, but then they default and disappear)

These are the apns-conf.XML and eri.XML we are working with. Could you take a look and see if we are missing a detail? I've tried the dirty flash method you outlined but it didn't work for me. I appreciate any help you can offer :)

Do you have any suggestions?

Attachments

Last edited:
Okay so I am on the Alliance v9 Rom and this fix worked great expect for the fact that when I have 4g Internet I do not have cell service. I can access the internet and everything just cannot make calls. On 3g internet everything is fine and works great, just when I have 4g. Anyone else had this problem and know to fix it?

I don't know if anybody has a fix or will reply to this older thread. I just installed the APN fix on my LG Volt from Virgin Mobile and I see the data bars with an exclamation mark next to it. I manually selected APNs and they only work until the phone is rebooted. Then nothing works no matter what I do, need to reflash rom.

I don't know if anybody has a fix or will reply to this older thread. I just installed the APN fix on my LG Volt from Virgin Mobile and I see the data bars with an exclamation mark next to it. I manually selected APNs and they only work until the phone is rebooted. Then nothing works no matter what I do, need to reflash rom.

is this lollipop? if you haven't already, try this, this is what i have to do on lollipop (ignore what doesn't apply to you but note how the APN fix is applied and rom reflashed w/o reapplying apn fix.)
9. a. Go to "Install Zip", "Choose zip from /storage/sdcard1". Select "cm-12.1-[today's date]-NIGHTLY-d2spr.zip". Click "Yes"
b. When it has finished, go back to your SD card, and do the same with "tk_gapps-stock-5.1.1-[DATE]-signed.zip"
c. Then "Universal_vmu_ApnFix-v.R2.zip"

10. a. Reboot your phone. As soon as it is done booting and optimizing, reboot it back into recovery
b. Flash the CM-12.1 file again
c. Then the gapps-5.1 file, in that order Do not flash the APN Fix again

excerpted from
www.vmroms.com/index.php?topic=882.0a

but i think i've seen that same fix in these forums

Last edited:
is this lollipop? if you haven't already, try this, this is what i have to do on lollipop (ignore what doesn't apply to you but note how the APN fix is applied and rom reflashed w/o reapplying apn fix.)
9. a. Go to "Install Zip", "Choose zip from /storage/sdcard1". Select "cm-12.1-[today's date]-NIGHTLY-d2spr.zip". Click "Yes"
b. When it has finished, go back to your SD card, and do the same with "tk_gapps-stock-5.1.1-[DATE]-signed.zip"
c. Then "Universal_vmu_ApnFix-v.R2.zip"

10. a. Reboot your phone. As soon as it is done booting and optimizing, reboot it back into recovery
b. Flash the CM-12.1 file again
c. Then the gapps-5.1 file, in that order Do not flash the APN Fix again

excerpted from
www.vmroms.com/index.php?topic=882.0a

but i think i've seen that same fix in these forums

Yes it worked!!! Thank you so much. Will report back if I have any problems.

Unfortunately I spoke too soon. After performing those steps it worked fine for the rest of the night. Next morning back to having an exclamation mark next to the signal bars.

What's the status on this fix for CM13?

When I flash the fix on a clean install of the latest d2spr nightly, it does not seem to work (LTE doesn't work, MMS doesn't work). The carrier name does switch from Sprint to Virgin Mobile, however.

You have to dirty flash the rom a second time after first boot.

Flash rom
Flash gapps
Flash apn fix
Boot into rom, you can do wifi setup etc
Reboot to recovery
Flash rom again (but don't wipe anything aka dirty flash)
Reboot
Profit!

Worked on LineageOS 14.1 installed on Galaxy S5 Virgin Mobile version (SM-G900P) when installed per your instructions. Thanks and good work!

Posting to report that unfortunately, using LineageOS 15.1 on a Galaxy S5 Virgin Mobile (SM-G900P), the "dirty flash" technique does not work :(

Edit: Got it working :)

I had originally followed the procedure outlined by mydian, and didn't have any success. I'll cop to the fact that this is a finicky process, though, and that probably works for some. Afterwards I read further back in the thread and tried the procedure mentioned by Madbat, and that did work. I'll quote it here for posterity:

It works if you follow my method.
1. Proper wipe
2. Flash ROM, gapps, and apn fix.
3. Boot once to system
4. Boot back to recovery and dirty flash ROM and gapps again (no wipe no APN fix).
5. Profit

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom