• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Qualcomm Sent Me A DMCA Takedown

JerryScript

Android Expert
Well, it finally happened. Qualcomm just sent me a DMCA takedown notice via my Github account. This means I cannot do any work involving any blobs from Qualcomm or I risk being sued for work I have always given away for free. Nevermind the fact that everyone using my software has a license for their Qualcomm products due to purchasing them in the first place.

This truly marks the end of my development for the Victory, sorry everyone, it was fun while it lasted.

You can expect anyone using the Qualcomm blobs to get a DCMA takedown soon, since there are no open source alternatives, that means everyone making ROMs for the Victory. If they could, they would make you pay multiple times for the license you purchased when you bought your phone, greedy bastards!

You can expect anyone using the Qualcomm blobs to get a DCMA takedown soon, since there are no open source alternatives, that means everyone making ROMs for the Victory. If they could, they would make you pay multiple times for the license you purchased when you bought your phone, greedy bastards!

Well I guess next time I'm in the market for a phone to try to avoid qualcomm.

Wow that can be tough. Almost every phone I look at has Qualcomm snapdragon something or other. Got an s3 In the mail yesterday ($170 on eBay new in box). Geez.

Wow that can be tough. Almost every phone I look at has Qualcomm snapdragon something or other. Got an s3 In the mail yesterday ($170 on eBay new in box). Geez.

if you want to stick with samsung you can get the Exynos processor... I do believe the new Note 4 has a octo-core version with an Exynos processor. That version is supposed to have 4GB of ram too. I will have to do some more research but I am likely to go that route.

Sorry to hear about the take down Jerry. That's a real bummber :(

That's going to be really hard because just about every new phone that gets released in the US is Qualcomm. The only other choice is Samsung with the Exynos processors that are also closed source, but those also don't usually make it to the US. Combine that with the region locking that Samsung has started to implement and thus importing goes out the window as well. There haven't been very many new phones with NVIDIA Tegra processors either. The one exception for Qualcomm is the Nexus line because all the binaries are posted on Google's developer website, so that's always an option.

Back
Top Bottom