• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Virtuous 3.2 and Swype - bad couple?

JSS12

Android Enthusiast
Hey all,

So I have had Virtuous 3.2 up and running for some time now... and it's wonderful!

My only issue is that I am part of the Swype beta, yet when I try to install Swype on my phone after some time it throws my phone into a boot loop.

I recently installed Virtuous 3.2 after performing a complete factory wipe (all cache and dalvik etc included). I put all my apps on and left my phone alone for sometime. I recently added the HeyItsLou #4 kernel and again left it for several days with no problems. Then performed a nandroid backup (thank god).

Since then the only thing that I added to my phone was Swype --> boot loop. Did a Nand restore and all is back to normal - except without Swype.

Anyone else having these issues? Will there be a fix for this?


Thanks!

-JSS
 
Give it another shot and see if it works, could have been a bad installation. Just keep your backup in case you have problems again.
 
I'm running Virtuous 3.2 and Swype. The only issue that i have is that sometimes i go to use it and it just beeps at me. I have to long click on the message, select "Input Method" change it to the standard Keyboard, and then repeat the process selecting "Swype" and it fixes the problem. That happens about once or twice a month.
 
Have you installed any other keyboards, maybe something to replace the 'stock' keyboard that came with the ROM? If so, maybe that keyboard and Swype don't get along.

Also, the folks at Sywpe fairly recently created a new installer. Maybe you could download their most current installer and try that for a fresh install of Swype.
 
I'm running Virtuous 3.2 and Swype. The only issue that i have is that sometimes i go to use it and it just beeps at me. I have to long click on the message, select "Input Method" change it to the standard Keyboard, and then repeat the process selecting "Swype" and it fixes the problem. That happens about once or twice a month.

So 24 hours in and so far all is well, but already today I had this issue... I hope it is just once or twice a month and not a daily occurrence.

Is this something that most ppl have to deal with?
Something they will likely fix?
 
Keep in mind that Swype is in beta, as such there are likely to be some problems every now and then. And the reason they do a beta release is to work on these pesky little problems.

I have to do the input method swap anytime I reboot my phone (rooted, but still on stock ROM). I only reboot once a week or so, so it's not really a bother.
 
So 24 hours in and so far all is well, but already today I had this issue... I hope it is just once or twice a month and not a daily occurrence.

Is this something that most ppl have to deal with?
Something they will likely fix?

The issue with having to reselect Swype via the "Input Method" usually happens only after a reboot. For me, every time I reboot, I have to long-press a text box, select the standard keyboard and then immediately reselect Swype. This works every time and don't have to do it again until a phone reboot.
 
The issue with having to reselect Swype via the "Input Method" usually happens only after a reboot. For me, every time I reboot, I have to long-press a text box, select the standard keyboard and then immediately reselect Swype. This works every time and don't have to do it again until a phone reboot.


Thanks for that. I couldn't figure out what was triggering it. At least now I'll know when to expect it and can just fix it as soon as i reboot.
 
Back
Top Bottom