• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Volume down causes dropped calls

Bionic2

Sep 29, 2011
I have noticed several times since day 1 that my phone will drop calls when pushing the volume down button. For some reason the call volume seems to go up on its own. When I make a call I will dial the number and when I notice the high volume I hit the volume down button. This almost always causes the phone to drop the call immediately. Anyone else experience this?

I have noticed several times since day 1 that my phone will drop calls when pushing the volume down button. For some reason the call volume seems to go up on its own. When I make a call I will dial the number and when I notice the high volume I hit the volume down button. This almost always causes the phone to drop the call immediately. Anyone else experience this?

This happened to me yesterday, I hit the volume down a few times and dropped the call. I called the person back and they said they heared 'boops' and then the call ended.

Upvote 0
It's only happened to me once (and I also often adjust the volume during calls) I was just too strange a coincidence I hit the volume down and it immediately hung up.

I wouldn't have posted anything if I hadn't seen this thread. I figured I'd add a 'me too' so that it if more people had seen it we'd start to see the pattern.

-I'm running stock 5.5.893 for the record

Upvote 0
I have also experienced this problem. I have had the phone since launch and on occasion I have been speaking on the phone with my girlfriend who has US Cellular. I have turned down the phone before or turned it up and the call was lost. The first few times I figured it was her provider because it's US cellular, well after reading this I now know the culprit.

Upvote 0
No case, no screen protector, running 5.7.893. It only happens when I hit the down volume rocker while the phone is against my face. If I pull it away from my face, let the screen wake up, then hit the volume down, I don't have a problem.

My wife has the exact same problem and she is running stock. Don't know what the latest OTA was, but she did it about a month ago. She also has no case or screen protector.

Upvote 0
No case but I do have a screen protector. I have the latest ota and am not rooted. Happened to me again today. For some reason my volume seems to turn up on its own. It may be that I turn it up when listening to a message on google voice. I go to make a call, realize how loud it is and pull it away from my face and hit vol down. Usually the call drop and the ringer volume goes down to vibrate.

Upvote 0
I too just had this problem last night during a call. I did have the in pocket protection checked until just now, so I will report back with any issues. I have the latest OTA, a TPU case and a screen protector, and my Bionic is stock. I haven't had the nuts to root, basically because I'm sure I'd turn it into a paper weight.

Upvote 0
I too just had this problem last night during a call. I did have the in pocket protection checked until just now, so I will report back with any issues. I have the latest OTA, a TPU case and a screen protector, and my Bionic is stock. I haven't had the nuts to root, basically because I'm sure I'd turn it into a paper weight.

Well it happened again with the in pocket protection off this time. It seems to not matter.

Upvote 0
I got a new bionic from Verizon. Hasn't happened yet but it's only been a few days. Big difference is my old phone had an eBay screen protector which covered the entire screen. The new phone I got the Verizon screen protector which only covers the lit portion of the screen. Time will tell. New phone definitely didn't cure the data drops.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones