• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Was the Gear Watch worth it?

darkcyber

Android Expert
I just ordered the Note 3 and did not order the Gear Watch. My Note 3 has not come in yet, but was curious to options on the watch. I went to the local Verizon store and played with the watch before I placed my order but was not impressed. It really doesn't seem to do a lot and is very thick. I can't see paying over $300.00 for it, that is the cost of the phone by itself. I didn't ask if VZW tacked on the usual $30.00 upgrade fee to the watch as well.

Anyways, back to the original question. If you did purchase the watch, what are your thoughts about it? Pros and Cons.

Thanks!

I own the Gear watch. I think that it is a very nice entry level smart watch from Samsung. The display is clear and bright, notifications work properly, the phone features work flawlessly as do features for voice memo and the camera app. The one BIG drawback is S Voice. S Vioice is a DISGRACE on the watch AND the phone. The S Voice app deserves a grade of F. There is no comparing S Voice to Siri or Google Now. Do I recommend the Gear watch? ABSOLUTELY. The watch is a luxury purchase, not a necessity however.

Just a friendly FYI:

Being that the GALAXY GEAR is an accessory exclusive to the NOTE 3 (ATM anyway),it makes perfect sense to discuss it here in the NOTE 3 forum.

However,there is a forum exclusivesly for the GALAXY GEAR,if you're interested (overlooked this myself until yesterday):

Samsung Galaxy Gear - Android Forums

Admittedly,things are pretty quiet at the present time,hopefully that'll change as development progresses & the GEAR becomes compatible w/more devices.

Mine is due to deliver on 10/18/13.Looking forward to seeing everyone over there soon. :)

Thanks for the input. I may break down at some point and get one...never know :D

Kolio,

Thanks for the tip...I actually had no clue there was a separate thread/forum for the Gear. I figured it would have be in this forum since it is tied to the Note 3. Thanks again!

I was not initially interested in the Gear mostly due to the price; I really think there should have been a bundle offer knocking off $50 or $100 if purchased with the Note 3.

But after reading the forums I decided to take the plunge. I got it at Best Buy for the points and comfort of an easy return should I not like the watch.

I've only had the Gear since Friday but so far I'm really impressed! The screen is great and it is overall very responsive and having notifications on your wrist is really a convenience. As mentioned this is a luxury item and being so fond of tech I couldn't resist. I really think there is a future and look forward to some developer love.

It is also worth mentioning that the watch is not really that thick. I think Samsung is doing themselves a disservice with the ungainly tether/harness thing every retailer has on the watch so nobody walks away with it. That harness make the watch looks so bulky and difficult to test fit in the store.

When I ordered the Gear I was positive I would be returning it but I just had to try it out.

This is the best thing since sliced bread, i.e. you never have to fumble through your pockets or purse to find your phone only to end up accidentally hanging up on whoever called you. Having your phone and tons of other stuff I have yet to figure out how to use is pure genius. You'd have to cut my hand off to get this Gear from me.

What a surprise !

I ordered my Note 3 with the 30% online coupon code and saved $90.00. Could have saved the same amount if I had purchased the watch, but just really didn't think I wanted it. I might have to reconsider :D

I know this is going to sound like a really dumb question (and might be) but if you have a Verizon Note 3, will ANY Samsung Gear Watch work with it? i.e. can you purchase a watch from ebay, T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, or do you have to get a Verizon branded one for it to work?

I know this is going to sound like a really dumb question (and might be) but if you have a Verizon Note 3, will ANY Samsung Gear Watch work with it? i.e. can you purchase a watch from ebay, T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, or do you have to get a Verizon branded one for it to work?

I'm guessing it's universally compatible,much like any other BLUETOOTH device,but,a good question nevertheless.

A co-worker of mine has a SPRINT GN3 & GEAR.I have a T-MOBILE GN3 but no GEAR (ATM).I'll test this out tomorrow,if he's willing,as he's grown quite fond of it............... ;)

I'll be back later today (10/14/13),hopefully w/a definitive answer.

I also bought one and I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not but I love my gadgets so I had to try it lol. I'm actually using it quite a bit I use the phone when I'm out walking the dog I don't have to hold it too my ear I just keep it at arms length and I hear just fine and the people I'm taking to don't have any difference in sound they don't even realize when I switch back to the phone. I use the pedometer, I like getting the notifications where I can decide if I need to take the phone out to respond or if I just need to read it. I do think that it draws more phone battery though because I don't seem to be getting as good battery life as everyone else is saying but I'll just get a back up battery and be fine.

I was not initially interested in the Gear mostly due to the price; I really think there should have been a bundle offer knocking off $50 or $100 if purchased with the Note 3.

Samsung offered me GBP 100 [US$ 160] off if I purchased a Note 3 combined with the watch. I still didn't want it.

When you guys mention about getting notifications, can you get other emails beside GMail? I'm talking about your ISP provider email, Exchange email notification, Yahoo, etc.? I'm one of those early smartwatch adapters and been using it for awhile, so I'm well aware of benefit of smart watch and can't imagine my life without it. But notification of phone call, txt, Gmail, and music control is a common thing among these watches. But when it comes to other email clients, like all of the accounts you have under you Email program (Exchange service, POP, IMAP, etc.) - I have to use multiple apps to fine tune notifications where for example with my MetaWatch I have to use a combo of Executive Assistant linked to Augmented SmartWatch Pro synced to my watch to get my work Exchange emails and my POP account from internet service provider.

I have read a number of reviews and comments, and still not clear if every email notification is delivered? That concerns me because I can't rely on 3rd party apps for that.

When you guys mention about getting notifications, can you get other emails beside GMail? I'm talking about your ISP provider email, Exchange email notification, Yahoo, etc.? I'm one of those early smartwatch adapters and been using it for awhile, so I'm well aware of benefit of smart watch and can't imagine my life without it. But notification of phone call, txt, Gmail, and music control is a common thing among these watches. But when it comes to other email clients, like all of the accounts you have under you Email program (Exchange service, POP, IMAP, etc.) - I have to use multiple apps to fine tune notifications where for example with my MetaWatch I have to use a combo of Executive Assistant linked to Augmented SmartWatch Pro synced to my watch to get my work Exchange emails and my POP account from internet service provider.

I have read a number of reviews and comments, and still not clear if every email notification is delivered? That concerns me because I can't rely on 3rd party apps for that.

If you use the stock email app you do get other emails I only added my verizon.net which is yahoo and I get those notifications you don't get the whole message but a good portion of the message and you need to use the phone to respond if you you want to respond.

I'm guessing it's universally compatible,much like any other BLUETOOTH device,but,a good question nevertheless.

A co-worker of mine has a SPRINT GN3 & GEAR.I have a T-MOBILE GN3 but no GEAR (ATM).I'll test this out tomorrow,if he's willing,as he's grown quite fond of it............... ;)

I'll be back later today (10/14/13),hopefully w/a definitive answer.

I kind of figured they are all universal since they are blue tooth, but wondered if anyone knew 100% for sure. Since I was stupid and didn't order the watch at the same time I did the phone (and got 30% off the entire purchase), now VZW has removed the discount and just looking around for the best deal. Thought if they were 100% universal then I will just look for the best deal regardless where it comes from :smokingsomb:

Another question. When using the watch for phone calls, the watch basically acts as a speakersphone...correct? i.e. everyone around you can hear the conversation.

It never bothered Dick Tracy.

Well, I saw a video on the watch from Samsung that shows holding the watch basically to your ear and talking. So, I didn't know if it worked more in close proximity to the ear or it was loud enough that anyone near you could hear your whole conversation holding it at arms length away :D

Another question When using the watch for phone calls, the watch basically acts as a speakersphone...correct? i.e. everyone around you can hear the conversation.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is like a speaker. I talk with it at arms length so if you want a private conversation then no you wouldn't use it but I have a large but not fenced in lot to walk the dog so I'm not worried about any one hearing but I can walk the dog and talk and not have to hold anything but the leash. So anytime you works use a speaker phone it works.

Another question When using the watch for phone calls, the watch basically acts as a speakersphone...correct? i.e. everyone around you can hear the conversation.

Yes it is like a speaker. I talk with it at arms length so if you want a private conversation then no you wouldn't use it but I have a large but not fenced in lot to walk the dog so I'm not worried about any one hearing but I can walk the dog and talk and not have to hold anything but the leash. So anytime you works use a speaker phone it works.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like it might work better outdoors and not so much in the office...lol! I am leaning more toward getting one when I finally get my Note 3 in.

Yes it is like a speaker. I talk with it at arms length so if you want a private conversation then no you wouldn't use it but I have a large but not fenced in lot to walk the dog so I'm not worried about any one hearing but I can walk the dog and talk and not have to hold anything but the leash. So anytime you works use a speaker phone it works.

Sounds like it might work better outdoors and not so much in the office...lol! I am leaning more toward getting one when I finally get my Note 3 in.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily anywhere you'd use a speaker phone it would work I'm just not working right now and the dog decides that he needs to go out every hour I just have lots of opportunity to talk outside make use of that time lol.

I kind of figured they are all universal since they are blue tooth, but wondered if anyone knew 100% for sure. Since I was stupid and didn't order the watch at the same time I did the phone (and got 30% off the entire purchase), now VZW has removed the discount and just looking around for the best deal. Thought if they were 100% universal then I will just look for the best deal regardless where it comes from :smokingsomb:

Another question. When using the watch for phone calls, the watch basically acts as a speakersphone...correct? i.e. everyone around you can hear the conversation.

I also hope it works with my Verizon Note 3. Just ordered thru T Mobile using new 30 off code. ACCOFFER07

I also hope it works with my Verizon Note 3. Just ordered thru T Mobile using new 30 off code. ACCOFFER07

The Gear is universal as long as you have the right version of Android and Touch Wiz, hence only the Note 3 for now. I expect Samsung to push for carriers to get updates out to other Galaxy devices, specifically the S3 and S4.

About using the Gear for phone calls, the mic is surprisingly good but the speaker could be louder. Still very convenient. I also read somewhere you can only make calls by "returning" a call but that is not the case. There is a dialer but it is tiny. Still convenient for a quick call and VERY cool, especially for demoing the Gear. Dialing by contact though is much easier.

So, did you have to create an account with TMobile to place the order? I am trying to order it now and it's asking if I have an existing account or want to create a new one :( NO, I just want to buy the accessory...lol!

bad1550,

Thanks for the tip! Just ordered me one also at the $90.00 discount...sweet :)

So, did you have to create an account with TMobile to place the order? I am trying to order it now and it's asking if I have an existing account or want to create a new one :( NO, I just want to buy the accessory...lol!

No I did not have to create an account.

I was able to just order it, hopefully goes through.

Back
Top Bottom