• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Was The Release of the Nexus 4 a Power Play by Google?

Google is definitely going to cut out the carriers sooner or later. Google and Microsoft were even interested in buying White Space in the UK. And Google is in talks with Dish for a collaboration on a wireless network as well. I think they got burned by Verizon and Sprint and they know they will need to bypass them and no LTE was a huge middle finger to the carriers. Here is a good read on the matter as well:
Meet Your Next Wireless Carrier: Google - GSM Nation Blog

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
More I think about this the more I like it, Nexus line is showing that if you put a high quality product out there people will buy it. But I also think tat Google is getting ready to make a run at all the cellular carriers out there, with Google and Dish Network talks, Google owning Motorola and Google Fiber; Google has the making for becoming a cellular provider. Plus Google has said in the past they are going after mobile market in a big way.

Most likely the Nexus line will still be produced under partnerships with other companies to show the possibilities of android, but all this is just pure speculation on my part. Maybe all this is just one big proof of concept like Google Fiber is or as this link shows Google has way bigger plans.

Google Wireless Could Be Google Fiber in Your Pocket | Pocketnow

If this all true then Motorola will be making new handsets or a new network :D

I can't even explain to you the jollies I get from this.

6253e78ad47587beb11b45b54beb5fff.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones