• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Webpage Redirect Loop

N

Nexus 5 Browser Issues

I keep getting redirected to a bunch of different sites and it seems looped. As soon as I hit back in Chrome enough times to go back to a webpage I was looking at, it redirects again.
It only occurs in browsers. I have tried a lot of different ways to fix it from reading online about it but no luck.
I have scanned the phone with a bunch of different malware and antivirus apps but no luck finding anything. One in a while it will start pushing a popup loop in the browser and as soon as I close the popup, the phone begins to vibrate and does not stop until I close chrome.
Only happens on this phone and it does not matter if its connected to wifi or data for the issue to occur.

The phone is a Nexus 5 (not rooted).

Any help regarding this issue would be much appreciated.

Assuming it's not a fault on your phone (you can test this by trying 'back' here on Androidforums), there are two ways this is done.
  1. Server-side redirect (if this is the casae, there's nothing you can do other than avoid those sites).
  2. Client-side redirect via scripting. For this, go into Settings in Chrome, and then Site settings. Disable JavaScript, either globally or on a per-site basis.

It is definately client side scripting as it happens on any site, including this one. But there has to be a better solution than disabling javascript for all webpages.

If it's happening even on this site, then it sounds more like some unwanted program got installed on your device. Download one of the reputable security apps from Play Store (Avast is good, but there are others) and see if it finds anything.

Addon detector is another good app from Play Store to find where popups and redirects maybe coming from

Clear the cache and uninstall all the recent apps that you can recall before any of this started.

Back
Top Bottom