• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Weird problem with keyboard manager

myshkin

Android Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2012
Ft Worth, Texas
Ok, this just started yesterday and I haven't changed anything since I installed BP2.1...no new apps, I haven't uninstalled anything. Nothing has changed on my phone so I don't know why I'm getting this error notification all of a sudden. I installed keyboard manager because everytime my phone rebooted it changed my keyboard. So I installed keyboard manager for root users and that solved my problem. Then starting yesterday when my phone would reboot, or I would reboot it when it's starting up and you see all the little messages...whatever app has been granted superuser permission....after keyboard manager I would see this message "java-lang security exception using null token requires permission android.permission write_secure_settings". So I checked my settings in keyboard manager but they were just like originally set and I had no problems until yesterday. So then I went to superuser and made sure my su binary was current...it was. Then I went into CWM recovery and ran the fix permissions, no change. I did consult my pal Google with that error warning and it is connected to keyboard manager. I didn't see where anyone offered a solution, just saying they hoped the next update fixed the problem....these were a couple years old though. So, I've wiped all caches, erased history, just cleaned everything up. Not thinking it would help, but knowing someone would probably suggest to wipe caches.
I just really don't understand why it was working fine, no problems, no warnings and then out of the blue I get this? Any ideas??
Oh, in the settings, I disabled KM and rebooted and of course the error wasn't there anymore.

anna

Ok, this just started yesterday and I haven't changed anything since I installed BP2.1...no new apps, I haven't uninstalled anything. Nothing has changed on my phone so I don't know why I'm getting this error notification all of a sudden. I installed keyboard manager because everytime my phone rebooted it changed my keyboard. So I installed keyboard manager for root users and that solved my problem. Then starting yesterday when my phone would reboot, or I would reboot it when it's starting up and you see all the little messages...whatever app has been granted superuser permission....after keyboard manager I would see this message "java-lang security exception using null token requires permission android.permission write_secure_settings". So I checked my settings in keyboard manager but they were just like originally set and I had no problems until yesterday. So then I went to superuser and made sure my su binary was current...it was. Then I went into CWM recovery and ran the fix permissions, no change. I did consult my pal Google with that error warning and it is connected to keyboard manager. I didn't see where anyone offered a solution, just saying they hoped the next update fixed the problem....these were a couple years old though. So, I've wiped all caches, erased history, just cleaned everything up. Not thinking it would help, but knowing someone would probably suggest to wipe caches.
I just really don't understand why it was working fine, no problems, no warnings and then out of the blue I get this? Any ideas??
Oh, in the settings, I disabled KM and rebooted and of course the error wasn't there anymore.

anna

I've had this happen too. No clue how or why, but I didn't really look into either. Uninstalled it, then reinstalled it and it worked for a little while and broke again.

I installed gingerbread keyboard, then deleted the stock keyboard and it made gingerbread keyboard stick. Try that maybe.

Upvote 0
I just unistalled the keyboard manager & re installed it. Now it's not even asking for superuser permission & it's not on the list of apps in superuser, even though the name is keyboard manager for root users. *shrug* if it's not working like it's supposed to, I don't see any reason to keep it. I did email the developer, we'll see if I hear back. So it's not working like it should but I'm not having problems with SwiftKey sticking. I think when I was having trouble I was using the red keyboard, I don't even have that installed anymore. I am going to just uninstall kb manager & do some reboots & test if my keyboard sticks.

On another note, just out of the blue my phone started rebooting a lot yesterday. I don't even have to be using it & I will notice my boot animation all of a sudden. So I set my clock speeds to normal & it's still doing it. It just seems finky that I start having problems when I wasn't even mucking around with my phone. Normally it's me doing something to it that screws it up. Lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones