• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Well hello brick

you guys need to realize that you were only boot looping a very common thing all you need to do a factory reset
You couldn't do a reset if you were bricked. No menu items were available because the phone kept rebooting. Not in recovery, not in bootloader and not in power on vol dn either. Boot looping is something else entirely.

You couldn't do a reset if you were bricked. No menu items were available because the phone kept rebooting. Not in recovery, not in bootloader and not in power on vol dn either. Boot looping is something else entirely.

Yup

no... even the original bricks were fine in hboot and fastboot. just constant reboots when booted to recovery or the OS. running PG05IMG files did not fix. these original bricks would flash the fimrware and look fine,till you tried to boot it :eek: then you could boot to the stock recovery,or the OS and it would still reboot. thats why the theorys were failing/bad eMMC chips

as i said,it could have something to do with the .exe files vs PG05IMG,it could be that the firmware available wasnt capable of fixing like the newer firmware is,or it could be a different issue with same symptoms.

whatever the reasons,im glad its fixed :D

Sorry Scotty, but you're mistaken. True bricks would reboot in bootloader too. There was no way of breaking the chain. I believe there were only about 1/2 dozen or so that did this. I heard there were also reports of hboot rebooting on non rooted phones too. I do think that ship has sailed, however. If you can get into hboot without rebooting then it's not a brick.

Sorry Scotty, but you're mistaken. True bricks would reboot in bootloader too. There was no way of breaking the chain. I believe there were only about 1/2 dozen or so that did this. I heard there were also reports of hboot rebooting on non rooted phones too. I do think that ship has sailed, however. If you can get into hboot without rebooting then it's not a brick.

got any links? first i heard of rebooting in bootloader is from you ;)

read thru the original thread: [NOTICE] Gingerbread Related Bricking - May 27th 2011 update - xda-developers

if bootloader rebooted as well,theres no way folks would have been able to flash whole RUUs. the prollem has always been bootloops in recovery and into the OS. never bootloader.

I think Scottie is right. My phone was bricked. NOT bootlooping. I know the difference lol. I wonder if it was really a hardware issue, why would the exe fix it?
In my particular case, I had been on a sense Rom for a few days. I had just flashed a kernel and lowered my voltages to my normal levels and then brick.

I think Scottie is right. My phone was bricked. NOT bootlooping. I know the difference lol. I wonder if it was really a hardware issue, why would the exe fix it?
In my particular case, I had been on a sense Rom for a few days. I had just flashed a kernel and lowered my voltages to my normal levels and then brick.
Semi-brick, not a paperweight. Full brick = never to be used as a device again.

I. I wonder if it was really a hardware issue, why would the exe fix it?
It wouldn't... Can't fix hardware with software :eek: either the ones fixed wit the .exe files were a different prollem,or the prollem was never really a hardware prollem.

They never found out for sure what caused any of them. By the time ibrick bricked his,jcase no longer cared. Basically all the big names had moved on from trying to figure it out,after it happened on froyo and stock phones as well,and folks stayed on gb with no issues. Chalked it up to "hardware issues" cause it happens over such a wide range of software.

*shrug* like i said... Well prolly never really know.

I'm incline to think that its more the firmware that's fixing,rather than the method(.exe vs pg05img). But we've seen .exes work for sure so im hesitant to tell someone to use the pg05img and risk their phone just to see what happens ;)

It's possible ibricks phone was different,and the .exe would have failed just as the pg05img did.

Back
Top Bottom