• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What do you think about the new LG G5 flagship?

Thanks guys for the help. I see my post was moved, Thank you mange!
Never having any other UI before find lg's pretty okay. Never had an app drawer either so I can't say I miss it. I can say I don't miss loading and resuming screens, those were annoying on windows. Even win10 had them bad. Real glad we made the switch.
The reason we went for lg is, my wife's mother uses a g4 and always loved it and it seemed to get updates more so than other oems. According her.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
I'm almost a week into this phone & even w/o root,I'm really settling in just fine.
The experience reminds me of the LG G2: An all-around kick-ass phone. :thumbsupdroid:
I felt LG dropped the ball a bit on the G3/G4,but,are on a roll with the V10 &G5.

My one little naggy thing that has me considering returning this particular handset & getting another G5,is the SD/SIM Tray fit:
The tray on mine sits a bit recessed,or,is just a serious WTH on the final build.
The edge of the phone is proud on the backside of the SD/SIM Tray & the edge is quite blunt.
Not exactly sharp,but,feels like crap.
I'm hoping this is just a dud & not the prevailing fit/finish with everyone.

Anyone else have this "sharp/blunt" edge around the SD/SIM Tray?

Upvote 0
Checked both ours, flush and smooth. Sounds like maybe just a defective unit.
Exchanged my handset this morning (for another Gold one) :

The T-Mobile clerk was more than happy to do the exchange & definitely took note of the mismatched chamfered edges & the sharp/protruding edge surrounding the SD/SIM Card slot.

The replacement handset is free of any such defects:
Looks & feels great,nice fit & finish with the main body & the battery module,it's a keeper. :)

(Updated my original 2 centavo user review to reflect the changes) : :thumbsupdroid:
http://androidforums.com/threads/wh...ew-lg-g5-flagship.1004215/page-2#post-7262749

Upvote 0
I'm almost a week into this phone & even w/o root,I'm really settling in just fine.
The experience reminds me of the LG G2: An all-around kick-ass phone. :thumbsupdroid:
I felt LG dropped the ball a bit on the G3/G4,but,are on a roll with the V10 &G5.

My one little naggy thing that has me considering returning this particular handset & getting another G5,is the SD/SIM Tray fit:
The tray on mine sits a bit recessed,or,is just a serious WTH on the final build.
The edge of the phone is proud on the backside of the SD/SIM Tray & the edge is quite blunt.
Not exactly sharp,but,feels like crap.
I'm hoping this is just a dud & not the prevailing fit/finish with everyone.

Anyone else have this "sharp/blunt" edge around the SD/SIM Tray?
Can you post a pic?

Upvote 0
Can you post a pic?
I no longer have the G5 or any pics of it.
However,I did return & get a 2nd G5 which had a lot better overall fit & finish,smooth/seamless edges all-around.

I actually prefer LG devices to most other mfgs offerings,but,my experience w/them is the quality control/consistency needs improvement.
Don't hesitate to exchange your G5 if you feel the quality/fit & finish/etc... is less than acceptable (if you're within the window of opportunity to do so).

Upvote 0
I know mine has bad light bleed and a blotch on the screen. Which is ridiculous for this level of phone.
If you noticed the light bleed & blemish on the display & didn't return the device within the return/exchange time frame, you've done yourself a disservice by taking no action.
Getting your carrier/LG to do anything about it now will not be as easy & could cost you some out of pocket expense for shipping/handling/deductibles on extended warranties.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones