• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What is "Rooting" my phone?

Mewkiss

I've seen people talk about rooting their phones.

Can someone explain in a really simple method what it means, what it does, do I have to do it, how do I do it etc.

So much to learn.:confused:

not to be rude but try google, you will get all the info you need or want there, personally I wouldn't do it, Unless you have the funds to buy a new phone when you brick that one

not to be rude but try google, you will get all the info you need or want there, personally I wouldn't do it, Unless you have the funds to buy a new phone when you brick that one

The problem with google is it is too technical. If I can't come here to get simplified answers then where? And if you think I'm too dumb or lazy, then don't answer my questions. It's a win win.

Rooting your phone gives you superuser, or admin level access to the phone. If you have ever used Mac OS or *nix you are familiar with having to enter the admin password to install program and change certain settings.

Stock, you are locked out of doing so and can only make the changes the manufacturer and/or carrier allow you to make. When you root there are a number of things you can do, such as remove unwanted preinstalled apps that you don't use, install and run apps that require the elevated permissions such as Titanium Backup or Link2SD. With some phones it is the only way to take a screenshot. It also allows you to install a custom recovery and custom ROM.

Rooting in and of itself, you probably won't brick your phone. Installing the custom roms and recoveries can brick your phone. Also, rooting voids your warranty.

Were I to choose to root my Slider, is there a preferred method to do so? I haven't seen any Slider-specific instructions, so is there a comparable model that is similar enough to use the same methods?

My main reason for this is internal memory, and disposing of the bloatware (Poynt, Virgin Mobile Live, Scvngr) that uses WAY too much of it. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom