• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What to do if..

Treydude

You are rooted and need to take your phone in for service? Just click unroot, restore apps on titanium then delete z4 and titanium?

Back everything up with titbu and flash to stock. They wont be any the wiser.
When you get your phone back pop your SD in and reinstall z4, root, and use titbu to reinstall your apps. Its faster than waiting for market over 1x and all your settings and data are as they were when you backed them up.
Finally, re-dump bloat.

Problem is I need to take in for service cause my SD card and the slot seem messed up. The memory slot door always opens while in my pocket, every time i turn my phone on it either says i do not have a memory card or that its damaged, but if i turn it back off take it out and put it back in THEN turn the phone back on its fine.

Also, I am on Cricket, downloading is rather quick on 3g, not to rub it in or anything =P

If you're having a physical issue with the phone, it's likely that they would replace the phone itself. I can't see a store rep repairing microelectronics, if you know what I mean.

So just unroot and delete rooting programs before going in?

If its a physical problem you shouldn't need to do anything software wise but I'd its to cya (cover your arse) just in case then I'd do the wipe. No need to bother with deleting if you just flash. Flashing will also replace any tell-tail signs like missing carrier apps.

Problem is I need to take in for service cause my SD card and the slot seem messed up. The memory slot door always opens while in my pocket, every time i turn my phone on it either says i do not have a memory card or that its damaged, but if i turn it back off take it out and put it back in THEN turn the phone back on its fine.

You know what? I had the sdcard door problem too and the thing was, THE SD CARD WASNT EVEN IN ALL THE WAY!
I was like wtf is going on, so then I took the sdcard out and blew in the little sdcard hole (Nintendo style) then put the sdcard back in with like a quarter or something (because I have no nailz) like until I heard a click.
I cant believe how deep you gotta press that damn memory card in before it clicks...

You know what? I had the sdcard door problem too and the thing was, THE SD CARD WASNT EVEN IN ALL THE WAY!
I was like wtf is going on, so then I took the sdcard out and blew in the little sdcard hole (Nintendo style) then put the sdcard back in with like a quarter or something (because I have no nailz) like until I heard a click.
I cant believe how deep you gotta press that damn memory card in before it clicks...

I was like WHAT THE?!? Then I realized it wasn't going in all the way. So I went and got myself a nail and pushed it all the way down. After that no problem. At least it's securely in there right? XD

Now Ive upgraded from quarters to guitar picks. lol
If youre gonna ram your sdcard, might as well do it in style right?

Guitar picks, for jammin tunes out and jammin sdcards in.
LOL. I am always taking stuff apart so I have plenty of long pointy objects to jam my SD cards with. Err...That sounded kinda wrong. XD

I joined this forum just to say WTF!?!? and THANK YOU for the advice to push my SD in until it clicks. I had the same pocket problem, same error messages, and thought what a stupid design flaw on an otherwise great phone... and why aren't more people complaining about it?

THANK YOU ANDROID FORUMS!

PS- I used the round end of a paper clip. And I definitely heard the click. :)

I joined this forum just to say WTF!?!? and THANK YOU for the advice to push my SD in until it clicks. I had the same pocket problem, same error messages, and thought what a stupid design flaw on an otherwise great phone... and why aren't more people complaining about it?

THANK YOU ANDROID FORUMS!

PS- I used the round end of a paper clip. And I definitely heard the click. :)

Each and every one of us comes here to learn new things and spread the things they've learned. Welcome to the Forum of the great Ascenders! We are one of many Ascending forums out there. ^^.

Every phone I've had that used a microSD card (Samsung Messager, Sanyo Incognito, Huawei Ascend) required you to push very hard on the card to get it seated propertly; this is NOT unique to the Ascend.

You rock! That fixed it all :)

You rock! That fixed it all :)

Sweet. Now you wont have to unroot and flash and all that junk!
Glad to be of service.

Also, its the combination of small ass slot and super deep pushing that makes this tough. Fortunately, I just so happen to be a pro in pushing things in slots. *winks*

New problem, the ear piece speaker seems to of taken a dump on itself, only way I can make or recieve a call is speaker phone. Since this will be an in store deal, should I flash to stock or just unroot and delete offending programs?

At least you all aren't having the same problems we all had when the Pentax K7 DSLR's first came out. The camera is weatherproof, so the SD Card has to make a seal when it's in. Once it was in, it pretty much took a pair of plyers to get it back out. It took mine a couple months of constant use to finally loosen up.

That said, after a bit of use, I bet all of our cards in our phones will go in a little easier. Just have to break them in.

New problem, the ear piece speaker seems to of taken a dump on itself, only way I can make or recieve a call is speaker phone. Since this will be an in store deal, should I flash to stock or just unroot and delete offending programs?

I'd just unroot and delete offending programs. Get rid of any personal data or info you have on there, because they will most likely just replace it.

I agree with Rockstar. It's a equipment problem. Just unroot and get rid of personal data. They will replace the phone.

Okies, will do... Will I lose all my contacts and crap?

Back your contacts up to your SD card.
Connect your phone to your computer and pull the file from the SD card and save it to your computer. Once you get the new phone, put the file on your SD card and restore contacts.

Go to CONTACTS.
Tap the MENU button.
Tap MORE.
Tap MANAGE CONTACTS.

You have 2 options. Backup to SD or Restore from SD.

When you go to your SD card, look for a folder called CONTACT. The backup file should be in there.

Connect your phone to your computer and pull the file from the SD card and save it to your computer. Once you get the new phone, put the file on your SD card and restore contacts.

Go to CONTACTS.
Tap the MENU button.
Tap MORE.
Tap MANAGE CONTACTS.

You have 2 options. Backup to SD or Restore from SD.

When you go to your SD card, look for a folder called CONTACT. The backup file should be in there.

Thanks man, I really dreaded re-doing all those, lol

Same thing happened to me LOL
I thought I was crazy.
I even put black electrical tape over the memory card door (trying to keep it closed).
It would often work then othertimes give me errors etc.
The thing was I didn't push it in all the way for it to "click"
You have to use something slender and sharp to do that ... a finger tip doesn't cut it!
LOL glad I'm not the only idiot that had trouble due to this ummm issue hehehe

Connect your phone to your computer and pull the file from the SD card and save it to your computer.

I am not finding the file I need to remove and save to my computer.. Can someone give me a hint as to where it is? I am about to head to the Cricket store soon, need to remove my contact list

Back
Top Bottom