• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What to get? 17" or 14" laptop?

ouch1976

Android Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2011
I need some opinions here. I'm in the market for a new laptop but I'm torn on what size I should get.

First I should say that the only things I'll be using the laptop for is to rip and covert DVDs, manage my pix and music, do my taxes, some MS Office work, Skype, Web surfing, etc.

I really like the look and portability of the 14" models, but I have a few tablets so I don't think I'll need the laptop for travel much. Yet, the 14" models can still be toted around the house with ease and the compact size is appealing.

But, I really like the real estate on the 17" models. Yes, they have a larger footprint on the desk, but maybe it makes sense to have more screen?

What do you guys think?

Wow I had the same decision as you! Ultimately I decided on the 17" because I thought I'd like the screen real estate more than portability. Well, I ended up lugging it around more than I thought I would, and it was a total drag because it was so big and heavy. I took it to some coffee shops and cafes to do some work over coffee or a meal, and it took up most of the space at the table. A couple years later I got rid of it and got a 14" lappie. If you think you'll do ANY travel with it, I'd suggest getting the smaller one. At this point I really don't miss the screen real estate.

Reactions: ouch1976
Upvote 0
Personally, I like my 17" tanker. It rarely, if ever, leaves the living room. Having a large keyboard and a dedicated number pad is great. It's a really cheap Gateway, but it gets the job done.
For portability, I use my Transformer Prime. It's not the best for home use when I could be using a much larger screen, but the keyboard and insane battery life are great.
I'd say, for your uses, if you're ever going to be toting it around, definitely go with the smaller screen (and hey, there are 15" ones out there too!).

Upvote 0
That's the thing. My old 15.6" mostly sat on the desk. We used to travel with it, but since getting a few tablets, there hasn't been a need to bring it anywhere. Now, the 15.6" screen cracked and it was getting a little old anyway, so I want to upgrade. I think I'm leaning towards a 17"...or even consider a bigger all-in-one desktop...too much to consider!!!!

Upvote 0
I have a 15.6 and to be honest its great. I almost got the 17'' but I was like if I have to lug that around its going to get heavy. I never have lugged it anywhere. Its setup more like a desktop with all the stuff I have going to it. I have plenty of realestate and Its great size for watching movies. When I watched them on the old laptop (14'') It was ok just felt tiny. With this one they seem great IMO anyways.

Upvote 0
I have an 18.4" laptop that I bought for school and was using to replace a desktop. It was definitely a big mistake on my part. The thing weighs about 10 lbs and while it's "portable", it was a pain to carry around. Another thing, with it being 18.4", it takes a LOT of juice to power so I'm lucky to get about 2 hours on it (And that's in ECO mode!).

If you think the extra size will make it easier for watching movies on the go, then just remember that if it's a big heavy laptop, it's not going to be too comfortable on your lap.

Ask yourself if you intend on taking it places, and if you need long battery life. I picked up a 14" ultrabook like the one below. HP had a $400 off coupon and weren't supposed to have it apply to these particular laptops, but for some reason they accepted orders. I'm still waiting to see if my order will be eventually cancelled or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMiaR2eYwao

Upvote 0
After doing some research, I'm leaning towards some of the high resolution, 17" models. This computer will probably be a desktop replacement and will be pretty stationary. I doubt we'll be toting it around much because we both have tablets and my wife has a laptop for work. And I think the larger screen will be better for the kids to see the grandparents on Skype and play games.

But there is still something about the sleek looks of the 14" models that is making the decision so difficult...

Upvote 0
From a site that I frequent. The coupon code doesn't last that long, so if this laptop interests you, you might want to jump on it fast.

HP Home has HP Pavilion dv6tqe Quad Core Laptop for $1439.99 - $475.20 with coupon code NBP8784 = $964.79. Shipping is free.

Specs
Intel Core i7-3610QM 2.3GHz
8GB DDR3
1 TB Hard Drive
32GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
15.6" 1920x1080 Anti-glare LED LCD
1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Blu-ray Player & SuperMulti DVD Burner
WiFi N and Bluetooth
6-cell Battery
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Backlit Keyboard

Upvote 0
It depends on the resolution.

If the 17" is 1600x900 and the 14" is 1980x1080, the 14" will have more real estate. If they're both the same res: 900p, Id take the 14.

Physical size doesn't make a difference in terms of productivity. It is the actual resolution that count. Plus, I am always concerned about a laptop's ability to power external monitors.

Now, I am just waiting for the new MacBook Pro with 2560x1600 resolution attached to a 30" and a 27" both running 2560x1600.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones