• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What You DON'T LIKE ABOUT NEXUS 10?

shiflerg

I'm starting to lean more and more to buying a Nexus 10. I know many people share what their pros are but often the cons are left out. So those of you who have a Nexus 10 and have been using it for a couple of months, what are the cons?

Thanks!! Looking forward to your comments.

1) My problem isn't Nexus specific, more of a 10" tablet problem; thumb typing. IMHO, it's awkward in both orientations; I swype most of the time but I'd rather type.

2) Back cover may "creak" if you you press in on it while holding the tablet

Overall, I like the device, nice display and good battery life.

So far I've heard pretty good results. Since I'm asking this of people who have been running this for a few months, have any of you had problems with the "lockup" or "reboot"?

I have not, but then, I've only had my device less than a month since buying it in February- go see my 'RMA' thread. I love my device, otherwise.

So far I've heard pretty good results. Since I'm asking this of people who have been running this for a few months, have any of you had problems with the "lockup" or "reboot"?

I've had a few lockups but they are rare. I love the N10 and hardly use my laptop anymore. I don't know about the latest models, but a lot of the first ones had a lot of flex in the back cover and would make a creaking noise.

Also, light bleed was an issue with some people. I have it on mine but I really don't even notice it during normal use.

The only thing I really don't like is no micro sd car slot. That's easily solved with an OTG cable, but you have to be rooted to save files to your flash drive or whatever your using, although you can read from it without being rooted. Its just not a convenient as a built in slot.

Lack of accessories is my biggest complaint. No official pogo cable, a flip cover that was just released etc.

Google needs to take the Nexus line seriously and come with an onslaught of accessories.

I've had a few lockups but they are rare. I love the N10 and hardly use my laptop anymore. I don't know about the latest models, but a lot of the first ones had a lot of flex in the back cover and would make a creaking noise.

Also, light bleed was an issue with some people. I have it on mine but I really don't even notice it during normal use.

The only thing I really don't like is no micro sd car slot. That's easily solved with an OTG cable, but you have to be rooted to save files to your flash drive or whatever your using, although you can read from it without being rooted. Its just not a convenient as a built in slot.
One of my questions was going to be: Can you store apps on your ext sd? Now I need to ask is there the availability of a ext sd card?? I'm not fond of my wife's Ipad because Apple seems to want to tell me what I need: I like to decide what I need. What happened to the ext sd card??

One of my questions was going to be: Can you store apps on your ext sd? Now I need to ask is there the availability of a ext sd card?? I'm not fond of my wife's Ipad because Apple seems to want to tell me what I need: I like to decide what I need. What happened to the ext sd card??

There is no slot for an sd card. You would need an OTG cable like this. You could then plug in a flash drive or get a card reader and plug it in so you could use an sd card. You would need Media Importer to read the files and if you wanted to save files to the drive, you would have to root and use Stickmount.

Nexus Media Importer had Write support added for FAT in version 5.0 (now on version 5.2) just thought I'd throw that out there :)

Absolutely great app as a Nexus tab owner.

If I go with the Nexus 10, the memory I have in the device (16g or 32g) is what I have??? What does the basic os require for memory?? How much is left over for apps and data?? Have you guys found this to be much of a problem or no problem at all?

I have a 32g model with close to 62 installed and updated apps (according to Google Play) with a number of games, apps, and a sheet-music database with a large number of PDFs & backups that are stored on the device.

I don't have any pictures or videos downloaded but out of the total 27.26GB I've got 24.56GB available and I bought this and have been using it heavily since January. If you don't plan on putting a lot of data on it (which I, in the long run, do) then you should get the 16GB to save a few bucks.

Totally depends on what you plan to do with the device in regards to space you'll need, I'd say on average I've got about 6GB spare on my 16GB N10 (all apps on my phone are on the tablet and I read a lot so about 3GB is taken up by that)

I use google play music as all my music is in the cloud, cloud based services definitely help if you were to go with the 16GB version.

At first I was unsure as to whether 16GB was enough, now I know I'd never have needed 32GB.

I got the 32GB model. Appsa lone (I have around 120 installed) have consumed all but 12GB of it already, since I use a lot of big apps

Edited post as I'm repeating myself haha.

If you plan to game a lot on the Nexus 10 then a 32GB would be wise I'd say, I rarely do, I seem to install games then have a quick go and delete.

Keep meaning to research games I can get stuck into using my Dualshock 3 actually, I just can't get on with "proper" games using a touchscreen.

I really like my Nexus 10 apart from 1 thing, the wifi dropouts !! They drive me round the twist, in the middle of surfing then a page cannot be displayed thing followed by some refreshes until it decides it will connect again. No idea what causes it but it is the only thing that bugs me, other than that the device is perfect lol.

I wish they had a cell version.
The screen dims and brightens with the slightest changes in light when on auto.

Other than that, I love it.

Not a gamer here and have to say we're pretty much pleased with the N10 tablet. For our purposes of surfing the net it's better than I imagined it would be.

Our 1 complaint is the many times various 'Advertisements' on the news groups hy-jack and redirect our reading page.

They seem to go out of their way and scheme to find for the most likely spot our fingers will land on...ever using a stylist is subject to predatory advertising.

I understand the necessity of advertising for the good of the net but it seems tptb on Madison Avenue cant control themselves with their constant interference format of advertising hoops and hurdles and hovering obstacles.

We use ABP for android and update/change the filters.

Fortunately we also have a desk top and laptop so now selected Ad annoying sites are slowly being shoe horned to those devices where controls are in place.

32GB is the greatest way to do it. And Netflix runs wonderfully on my N10

As far as 'Advertising', that has nothing to do with the Nexus 10 as a device.

Shiflerg- it means you have 'root level', or Administrator access to the device, giving you direct access to drivers, kernels, RAM, etc.

If you can afford a 32gb its nice to have the extra space. On the other hand, I have the 16gb and never needed more. I have 70 or 80 apps I use and I still have 10gb free. Netflix worked fine for me. I cancelled it because I thought their streaming selection is not very good.

Back
Top Bottom