• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What You DON'T LIKE ABOUT NEXUS 10?

32GB is the greatest way to do it. And Netflix runs wonderfully on my N10

As far as 'Advertising', that has nothing to do with the Nexus 10 as a device.

Shiflerg- it means you have 'root level', or Administrator access to the device, giving you direct access to drivers, kernels, RAM, etc.
I've seen a lot of negative connotation to being "rooted". What do I do to be rooted? What are the advantages and disadvantages of being rooted. On my PC I always give myself Administrator privileges.

I've seen a lot of negative connotation to being "rooted". What do I do to be rooted? What are the advantages and disadvantages of being rooted. On my PC I always give myself Administrator privileges.

You can do a lot of research here, but basically what you are doing is stripping all the software off your device, unlocking some some things that the manufacturer really does not want you into. And then putting on different version of the operation system made by various programers. Some of them are 13 years old's programing under their covers at night when they should be sleeping and others are diehard people with brilliant minds that have nothing better to do, as they do not get paid for this.
Oh, and when you do this to your device, it voids the warranty.

My GNex phone is rooted, my GNex tablet is not. Since the tablet is not associated with a cell carrier, there is a lot less restrictions on it.

You probably should leave your device alone, or do a lot of research because you can brick your device if you do something wrong.

Bricked device (Usually associated with a cell phone) means you now have a device in the shape of a brick that will perform the same functions as a brick. Occupy space.

OK, I would like everyone who has responded to get me more understanding of what is going on. The only major thing I heard which is negative is the lack of the ext sd card. I've been avoiding the IPAD for many reasons; one of which they tried hard to take the personal out of a PC and I thought they were doing the same thing with their tablet. I read some articles on Googles reason for taking away the ext sd and basically they said it was "too confusing" for their users. I get a strong wiff of the some IPAD mentality here.

I think I will now look at the Galaxy 10.1 to see what is not so good about it. I haven't given up on the Nexus but with the lack of ext sd I think I have to look further. Without that limitation, my order would be in already.

Again, Thank You for your patience and help to someone who knows very little about tablets and tablet operating systems.

You can do a lot of research here, but basically what you are doing is stripping all the software off your device, unlocking some some things that the manufacturer really does not want you into. And then putting on different version of the operation system made by various programers. Some of them are 13 years old's programing under their covers at night when they should be sleeping and others are diehard people with brilliant minds that have nothing better to do, as they do not get paid for this.
Oh, and when you do this to your device, it voids the warranty.

Not 100% true. Rooting does not inherently mean you strip all the software off your device and install a new operating system, I've had devices that I rooted and didn't do that. Second, it does NOT void the Nexus 10's warranty. Its hard to get a warranty repair on the Nexus 10 at all, root or no root. Trust me, I've had to.

My GNex phone is rooted, my GNex tablet is not. Since the tablet is not associated with a cell carrier, there is a lot less restrictions on it.

You probably should leave your device alone, or do a lot of research because you can brick your device if you do something wrong.

Bricked device (Usually associated with a cell phone) means you now have a device in the shape of a brick that will perform the same functions as a brick. Occupy space.

This is good info, as I've bricked a phone in the past and almost a tablet, but the latter was the fault of a Windows Vista command line and driver failure.

@shiflerg- there's no real 'cons' to rooting except for user error destroying a device, and several apps don't work on rooted devices for 'DRM' or 'security' reasons. On the Nexus 10, you simply run 4-5 command prompt commands with the Android SDK to root. It gives you the ability to modify the system, as jhonb pointed out, but you can leave that alone. You can also run a few more apps, specifically backup apps or system tweaks.

I read some articles on Googles reason for taking away the ext sd and basically they said it was "too confusing" for their users. I get a strong wiff of the some IPAD mentality here.
No Nexus devices have SD cards. The reason is Android is open source and SD cards formatted with the FAT file system are not. Google can't release an OS that supports a function where royalties must be paid to actually use it. FWIW, every manufacturer who does include an external storage slot pays Microsoft for it.

Again, you can still expand storage with an OTG dongle, just not nearly as convenient as the slot.

Truthfully, I love everything about my Nexus 10. However, I wish Google had Samsung put a different chipset in the device instead of the E5D. In retrospect, I don't know if the Snapdragon 600 was available at the time, but they could have gone with the S4 Pro.

I also love my Nexus 10. It's light. Has enough battery power for my purposes. Makes for an excellent e-reader and media consumption device. The only thing is that recently I discovered that I can't right-click on a link to save something to the local storage. I have a Bluetooth mouse that I will try to pair to it to try and see if I can do this. But without the mouse there doesn't seem to be a way - or, at least I am missing it. Any heads-up on this would be very helpful. Thanks.

I also love my Nexus 10. It's light. Has enough battery power for my purposes. Makes for an excellent e-reader and media consumption device. The only thing is that recently I discovered that I can't right-click on a link to save something to the local storage. I have a Bluetooth mouse that I will try to pair to it to try and see if I can do this. But without the mouse there doesn't seem to be a way - or, at least I am missing it. Any heads-up on this would be very helpful. Thanks.

Could be wrong here and misunderstanding what you mean but usually long pressing a link gives options to save/copy etc

I've had my 16Gig GNex10 since Christmas, and had previously a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

As mentioned, no built in expandable memory, via mSD card, is somewhat limiting. Having a cloud environment helps this limitation, in terms of being able to access music, videos, pics. I have a networked external WD Drive (MyDrive) that serves as a personal cloud and provides me access to my media anywhere I have a wireless connection.

Some screen bleed is noticable, but only when the entire screen is black (during boot-up).

Despite having stereo front facing speakers, their performance is somewhat lackluster. I find myself hooking up my bluetooth headphones when listening to music while cooking because the speakers don't get very loud. My S4's tiny single speaker seems louder than what I'm able to get out of my GNex 10.

Lack of official accessories. No dock, no pogo charger, and the cover that snaps into the back of the tablet only covers the screen & does not fold up as a stand (like other smart covers)

No Miracast support. Miracast is a wireless mirroring technology (similar to Apple's AirPlay) that is being standardized by the WiFi alliance. The GNex 10 was originally advertised as being Miracast compatible, but was removed shortly after release. My understanding is that the wireless adapter tech in the GNex 10 doesn't have the dual band capabilities needed for Miracast.

Raw Google Android experience. In my opinion, this is both a strength & weakness of Nexus devices (particularly Samsungs). On the good side, you are first in line to get Android updates. You don't have to wait on the hardware manufactures to get their custom user interface working with the new version of Android before pushing to the users (which can happen a full year after release).....IF you even get it.

On the bad side, (again particularly with Samsungs) the hardware manufactures have gotten pretty good at mod'ing Android and are able to deliver some pretty cool features & tech that just aren't present with vanillia Android. Samsung's TouchWiz overlay is probably closer to the look & feel of vanilla android than others, like HTC's Sence & Motorola's Blur....but enhance a lot of Android capabilities...and then some.

As for Rooting....it's essentially hacking the OS to give you a higher level of privlidges that aren't available to users. Rooting your Android device is usually more beneficial for non Nexus devices because of all the extra protections put in place by the hardware manufacture & your cell carrier. It allows you to remove software from the manufacture & carrier that you normally can't remove, and also gives you the ability to strip away the manufacture custom user interface and go with a more stock Android experience.

Since Nexus devices already come with a stock Android experience (especially for non carrier tablets), there isn't as much to gain from doing it. You an also "brick" (damage beyond repair) your device if you don't follow the steps correctly.

Last suggestion.....wait around a little longer if you can. Google is set to release the next batch of Nexus devices soon. They've already confirmed the new Nexus 7" from Asus, and there are rumors that the Nexus 11 is on the way (likely later this Fall, in time for the holiday season).

Hope this helps!

RajCaj: On the audio, using Viper4Android makes an ENORMOUS difference in quality. I'ev been using that lately and its fantastic.

I have rooted and tried many different ones. I have now got mine the way I like it. The external speakers not being loud enough is my biggest complaint. I have bunches of apps installed on my 32 gig gnex. I still have 20 gigs left. I keep backups on a thumb drive using an otg cable and stick mount. Being sorta new to tablets I also did a lot of research and ended up with this awesome tablet. Other smaller complaints are really just annoyances. I have to flip my tablet 180 deg when using pogo cable and standing up screen in its case. No card reader. Other than that I love the heck out of this tablet.

Ya know, I did, after reading your reply and installed it, but made it worse. Which driver should I use and configure to make it work or can you please point me to a thread please, please, please. Mahalos.

Let me be more specific. It made the games I tried no sound, but music was the same. Would it be safe to try the different drivers or will I blow out my speakers.?

Thanks for the heads up on this Viper4Android. Coming from a line of old world Jews, and not having anything to complain about is weird. Ha ha. You have sincerely helped me out with the sound on my gnex. After reading and reading and more reading I could not sort out the sound issue. This viper4android_xhifi is awesome. I'm gonna shout on the mountain about this app and donate to the creators of it. I can finally cook and listen at the same time. My tablet is finally louder than my phone :) Mahalo.

Haha no problem. Sorry I was offline. Once you get the drivers right, it rocks, especially with the equalizer and other options!

Back
Top Bottom