• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's the Possibility of transferring entire text history to another phone

Hi,

After recently upgrading our phones, my wife accidentally deleted our entire text history from over the years that included text, pictures, emojis, links etc.

We did not backup to the cloud and the original phones have been wiped and sent as trade-in.

So I was hoping there was some software, that was able to simply and only backup only our text history from over the years, that included all of the various types of messages and restore that to her phone?

Or, if it's possible to find/locate some folder on my phone, dedicated to our message history, with all of the message types and copy that to a corresponding folder on her phone?

Thank you..

:thinking: I am no expert but considering it wasn't back up to the cloud, and by wipe I am assuming you factory reset both devices and trade them in.
No doubt they have been wiped again . The only thing I can think of is contacting your carrier and explaining the situation to them and seeing if they could be of assistance.
You could try some text message recovery app, you then run risk of spy ware, bloatware, or some other undesirable problem popping up on your device
The question I would ask is how important are these texts???

Some text messaging services, like WhatsApp, do store your text messages within their own online servers, but if you were using a typical text messaging service just tied to your phone number and managed by your chosen carrier than your text messaging history is much more temporary. So it does depend a lot on just which text messaging service you're using. If you needed to sign up a separate account, your text messages might be restorable (a plus being when they are stored online they're restorable, the minus being when they are stored online they're also most likely being data mined). But if you just use a conventional text service, most carriers only retain text messages as long as it takes receive them and then send them along. A carrier will only save them for a few days at best, only as long as it takes to do the exchange. So again, it's dependent on which text messaging service you use if you expect to restore them from any kind of online source.

Looking forward, be sure to set up a complete and automatic backup solution on your current phones. Backups are important.

Easy to trasfer if they were still there, I personally also use smart switch and have the texts from the past... 5 years or so (would be longer but I accidentally wiped them all once, or google did, lol).

That said, now that they are deleted, I think you are SOL. *Maybe* if you paid for expensive data recovery (like from a professional place) and knew what/where to look on a device (if you still had the device), then *maybe*. But even still I'd be doubtful.

I'll see your "maybe" and raise you a "buh-bye". :(

SMS and MMS messages are not stored in a folder as a file or set of files, but as entries into a protected user database. Performing the factory reset overwrote that database with a fresh empty copy. It's gone.

Back
Top Bottom