• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When are the first Android computers set to come out?

The same can be said for anything running Windows.

What's your point? :D
Microsoft is slowly killing windows... They need to completely rethink windows with windows 10... I know its a lot going into it, but will it be good enough? It needs to be easier to use on a desktop. Windows isn't meant for tablets.... They should have never tried to jump on the tablet bandwagon!

Upvote 0
You do understand that Windows mobile existed long before the iPhone or Android and it took both of the latter years to catch up functionality with what Windows phones had years earlier, yeah?
I'm talking about them making windows 8. It was made to work well with touch screens. But left so many issues with non touch screen users. I feel like they only made windows 8 so it can be used with tablets. I feel they didn't really care about desktop users as much because tablets are the hot thing to have. And yes I know windows mobile is older then android..... I often forget this fact.
I can name so many issues I have with my computer, and most of it is from windows 8. I paid for it so I'm using it. The ultimate kill for me is that some apps throw you out of the desktop mode into that other touch friendly mode. Also maybe the bug where u move the mouse to the side of the screen to fast and it opens that quick menu. I done need either one when using keyboard and mouse! Everything u hated had to do with the touch friendly features.

Upvote 0
The same can be said for anything running Windows.

What's your point? :D
Lol my point was that what I am holding is a cell phone, and not a laptop, as someone else claimed. I did not know windows mobile phones were older than android or icrap, but then again, I've always been lower lower middle class and was way behind in getting a smart phone, as I typically am in all new technologies

Upvote 0
Lol my point was that what I am holding is a cell phone, and not a laptop, as someone else claimed. I did not know windows mobile phones were older than android or icrap, but then again, I've always been lower lower middle class and was way behind in getting a smart phone, as I typically am in all new technologies
I understand you here. I never had new things Cuz my family couldn't afford it. After graduation I got promoted at work to assistant manager. Anyways, I think there's a lot of people that don't know how old windows mobile is. I never used it my self so I can't say much about it.

Android will forever be a mobile platform. That's what its good at, like my statement about windows 8. If android did change focus to making it suitable for laptops, it might turn out like windows 8... Filled with Unnecessary garbage that's not needed to run my laptop/phone.

Upvote 0
I've been hearing a lot of bad things about 8, and I'm really surprised with how quickly 10 is coming out, and the fact that 7 and 8 users are supposedly getting a free upgrade. It must be on par with vista
I dunno. I've been using 8 for a while now. Don't see anything wrong with it. Just people not used to the changes. 10 is just a unification of the phone and desktop OS.

Upvote 0
I dunno. I've been using 8 for a while now. Don't see anything wrong with it. Just people not used to the changes. 10 is just a unification of the phone and desktop OS.
on my computer anyway... There's a lot of touch friendly things that don't work well with a mouse. There's also a lot of glitches and quirks that come from that. I build my desktop knowing I was using windows 8, but I don't have a touch screen monitor even tho I knew some were out there. I have a lot of issues with some games I play I'm a huge PC gamer. There's a whole list of crap wrong with it. It's just not easy to use unless on a touch screen

Reactions: CrimsonToker
Upvote 0
But I beg to differ.
Although the ARM architecture is good for low power applications, it is no where near as powerful as Intel/AMD in raw number crunching.
It took a whole new architecture, and generation of processors that have only been In market for a few months for ARM to reach 64 bit. Something AMD has had since 2005.
AND even those chips can't begin to compete with x86

Upvote 0
Yeah, this just in, no ARMs match an i7.

Still doesn't make them crap.

And we've already had x86 mobile processors and some of them have been crap.

You're inventing things to disagree on.

I wonder if you've ever used an ARM chip or just the instruction set. I wonder if you could tell.

ARM and x86 can describe architectures or instruction sets.

If you seriously mean that your want and need the number crunching power of an i7 in a cell phone, more power to you.

Next question. :D

Reactions: palmtree5
Upvote 0
Why would I want to play Crysis on my cellphone? I've tried playing dead space and it doesn't feel right if it's not on a proper PC or console.

Why would I want a phone with that much power but not last more than 5hrs? At the moment my phone lasts a day or two depending on my usage for that day. I'd like that more.

If I wanted something with the power of an i7 to play games on, I'd bring my laptop.

Upvote 0
Android is, if you think about it, Simply a skin on top of Linux.

That's kind of like saying that OSX is just a skin on top of a *nix, or for that matter Windows 7 is only a skin over a dos. (Yes it was sort of like that with early windows, but doesn't track now) But there is far more than a new window manager being used there.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones