• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Where Did all the Icons go???

nggomez60

Feb 19, 2010
Everytime I plug my phone into my computer to transfer music/photos/files, my phone removes all my downloaded apps on all my homescreens. This is REALLY annoying because then I have to go back into my app bin and put them back on all the homescreens. Is this a result of the GB update including app groupings and wanting you to put your apps there???

I had/have a very similar problem that started immediately after I updated to GB. Another user suggested that the dissapearing icons are being removed for programs that are located on my SD card.

Some of my shortcuts stay in place, and are for programs that aren't located on my SD card. The only icons that are deleted are for programs located on my SD card.

Every time I sync my phone with my PC (which is about 2-3 times a day), I lose the icons for programs located on my SD card. I can add the shortcuts again, but when I connect via USB to sync my data to my PC, the shortcuts get deleted again. I don't know how to fix it so my phone will quit deleting the shortcuts.

Maybe someone has an idea?

Upvote 0
Drhill, I appreciate your feedback. I've had a few applications loaded on my SD card since I got my DX, and with the GB update, developed this problem.

Ordinarily I play as conservatively as possible with my memory, knowing at some point in the future, I'll fill it all up. I'll move my beloved applications to my SD card and get comfortable living with some slightly reduced storage space.

Upvote 0
Drhill, I appreciate your feedback. I've had a few applications loaded on my SD card since I got my DX, and with the GB update, developed this problem.

Ordinarily I play as conservatively as possible with my memory, knowing at some point in the future, I'll fill it all up. I'll move my beloved applications to my SD card and get comfortable living with some slightly reduced storage space.

Trust me. You won't fill up 8gb. ;)

Upvote 0
Question? If you have an app downloaded an it's in your app bin does't it run in the background? If so wouldn't 400 apps running in the background blow your battery away?

Apparently not. I easily make it 14+ hours with 30-40% battery life still left, and it usually sits with 90%+ CPU idle. Just because an app is installed doesn't mean it's running. And in a Linux OS, just because something is loaded in memory doesn't mean it's actually running and using CPU/battery.

Upvote 0
Go to settings... applications...manage applications. Click the running app and you can see what's really running. If I have something there that's running and I don't use it, I uninstall it (or freeze it if it's installed with the rom).

You should also check running services to see what's running.

More importantly, check battery use: Settings... Battery & data... battery usage and see what's really using your battery. :D

Upvote 0
HUGE flaw in this OS...yuck..

No. If you connect to a pc the sd card is unmounted from the device and mounted to the pc. Or you don't get sdcard access. While the SD card is unmounted the device doesn't have access to what was on there.

They could have used a different approach to sharing the sdcard, but there would be other negatives.

Apps2SD has always been a huge waste of time. It was only useful for those with the first generation of android devices where the manufacturers cheaped out on them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones