• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which phone next?

New phones are tricky, I had a SG2 but swapped it with a family member since the screens larger and helps with their eye sight. SG2 is an awesome phone and I think it was perfect (better than any apple phone by far, and its got a HUGE user base so tons of stuff and easy to root/fix/customize). I would say SG3 is good too but the screens really large ive had a friend break one... if your thinking of getting a SG3 id say ditch it and go with a SG4 if possible since SG4 has 2 GIG ram, 13MP camera and double the pixel display of SG2 and slightly larger than SG3 (5in).

I also feel like if your getting a SG2 from VM or some carrier and lets say u pay like $60 per month your better off buying a unlocked phone off ebay or something and then going with straight talk or consumer cellular since the phone companies would rip you off.. SG2 is affordable phone and then your not locked into a contract and can pay $35 for Virgin, down to like $10 for consumer cellular so you'd be saving $300+ per year ($600+ over 2 years)

If you need any help rooting a SG2 let me know theres this guy on youtube QBKing67 I think who does awesome tutorials on SG2 and other androids. I rooted mine a few times and it works awesome.. if you ever want to use stock he has those too and you can even factory reset.. I never had to use a backup Clockwork mod or anything.

Upvote 0
The Samsung Galaxy Victory appears to be a good, balanced phone with LTE support. It isn't flashy in terms of looks, but it runs Jelly Bean and has a CPU on par with the S III. Rear and front cameras are average, and app storage is low at 1.8GB (root and link2SD is a workaround for this). The screen is also regular LCD, 4-inch and 800x480, but looks as good if not better than the Elite's screen. There isn't much development (just root and an alpha CM10 ROM so far) for the phone right now, but it works well stock out of the box.

Reviews tend to be good (with a few mixed ones here and there), but all the people I've seen on Android Forums rave about the phone. It seems free of the hardware/software bugs that plague the Elite, with better antennas and battery life. It isn't tremendously expensive either (under $200). Coming from the Elite and Optimus V, it's a big upgrade for me.

Upvote 0
I switched to a Galaxy SII a couple weeks back and it's awesome. A friend of mine has the Galaxy Victory, which is also fantastic. (The screen isn't quite as nice, though, but 4G LTE is.) There are cheaper phones in the VM lineup, but Samsung's shine above the rest. The only problem I have with it is TouchWiz, which can be easily switched to one that's more like stock, such as Apex or Nova Launcher.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones