• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who's gone from iPhone to Android?

I switched from the original iPhone to the HTC Incredible. I was tired of AT&Ts spotty service and just overall how bad the iPhone was. Took it in for warranty replacement under Apple Care for a bad battery and buggy speaker (this was at the end of last year) and already I had issues with the replacement phone with all calls having an echo and the only fix being toggling back and forth between phone and bluetooth. I was also fed up with Apple alienating current users with their updates. First with no MMS support for original owners and now pretty much the entire user base with the 4.0 update.

Bottom line, I am very happy with my switch to Verizon and Android. I truly feel that Android is the superior platform and will eventually leave little to no contest for iPhone OS. If anything we are already at that point since a lot of the feature coming in 4.0 include functions that Android already does (folders, multitasking). Another plus is I find the HTC keyboard so much better than the iPhone keyboard (but if you like the iPhone keyboard there is a setting to switch to it).

Make sure you get the HTC Desire.
The Desire is amazing, not just because of Android, but because of the way HTC go about extending it's capabilities.

Mark

I've changed from iPhone 3G to HTC Desire. Was sceptic in the beginnin gbut wanted to try the oposite side of apple, and I must say I like it :)

And gogo for HTC desire/nexus one you wont regret it IMO, I haven't :D

Edit: Yes I was one of those iPhone ftw guys B4 :o

This weekend I took the plunge and gave my iPhone 3G to the girlfriend and bought to the HTC Desire. I am still in the oh no what have I done, wow that's cool, god that's shite, wow it's quick phase. As with all things it depends what you want it for and from it.
My initial thoughts are the speaker is a complete waste of space (it nearly went back just for this one point), it and the apps are not as slick as on the iPhone, everything is just that little bit more effort, most of the default apps need updating as they are flawed in some way (latest pain is not being able to search contacts by company, surname, sync with Outlook etc). I yearn for the simplicity and the "it just works" of my iPhone but I know the Desire will be a betrter phone in the long run. Other opbservations include the headphones are rubbish, the battery is about as bad as the iPhone, the screen is unreadable in sunlight and for some strange reason I still like it.

IMO the Desire is a social phone (loaded with social networking apps by default) and worse than the iPhone as a business phone. Quality apps just aren't available , have to be bought, are still in development and/or are of questionable quality. If you are after a perosnal phone with social sites galore and a bit of fun, jump in. If you are after a business phone and prepared to burn a few candles to get it right, jump in. If you want a Blackberry/iPhone business alternative get one on 30 test or return.

i went from the Iphone 3g, to a motorola milestone. i love it. the andriod OS is great it does anything the iphone os can do, but more. i find it simpler to use, but thats just my take on it.

i left the iphone because of apples quality of support.i went through 3 iphones, all with normal use, and all with issues. You buy an iphone 3g, 15 minutes later they have a new version of the phone with new features that the first phone should have done. i just felt ripped off, also the 30 bucks for att charges just for data is insane.

i feel more comfortable using an andriod enabled phone then i ever did with apple. i have to say i am an andriod support and it can only get better with more updates.

IMO the Desire is a social phone (loaded with social networking apps by default) and worse than the iPhone as a business phone.

Ahaha.

Ahahahahaha.

iPhones as business phones. Now that's a good one.

Quality apps just aren't available , have to be bought, are still in development and/or are of questionable quality.

Okay. What are your app needs? I'm sure any of us here can you recommend you a lot of quality ones.

The only reason I switched was because of Verizon. Given an option of an iphone on verizon, I'd seriously consider it. My Droid is a good phone for the most part.

The only reason I switched was because of Verizon. Given an option of an iphone on verizon, I'd seriously consider it. My Droid is a good phone for the most part.

Exactly the same here, ready to get rid of the Droid and upgrade to a phone without a keyboard though. This summer if the iPhone comes to Verizon I will either get it or probably the HTC Incredible.

My initial thoughts are the speaker is a complete waste of space (it nearly went back just for this one point),
the battery is about as bad as the iPhone, the screen is unreadable in sunlight

I agree with ya on all points. The screen is really hard to read in daylight, harder than the iphone. It has nice deep blacks at full brightness, but it doesnt get bright enough.

The ear speaker is so damn quiet. I was trying to make a call outside and the cars driving by were much louder. What a PITA. I would really hate to have to carry a bluetooth.

I think the battery is better. I am not 100% sure on this, but my battery is less drained after my morning commute. The commute consists of 3G pandora streaming for 1.5 hours and occasional browser/facebooking. It was around 85% after 1.5 hours, which is really not bad at all for streaming 3G and that big screen.

One thing I love is that I didn't have to jailbreak to get any of the features I needed with the iphone (backgrounding, the quick toggles, and the weather). The jailbreak would give me the occasional hickup and freeze up the iphone for a few seconds.

I'm thinking about it. My 3G is starting to feel a bit sluggish compared to the new 3GS...the new OS update won't support multi tasking etc. for the 3G, plus its getting a bit scuffed/scratched so feel I'd like to upgrade, but can't decide between Milestone/Droid or Desire.

iPhones as business phones. Now that's a good one.

Okay. What are your app needs? I'm sure any of us here can you recommend you a lot of quality ones.

The iPhone can put up a reasonable fight for itself. I used one for 18 months and kept in touch with hundred of contacts using the address book and email as it was quite extensive plus synced back to Exchange, Dynamics CRM, OneNote etc. Haven't found a decent equivalent with the Android yet. Do you know one?

So far, three of my friends switched from their iPhones after handling my HTC Incredible. I couldn't get their hands off it LOL. They were as jazzed over the Incredible as I am.

I'm thinking about it. My 3G is starting to feel a bit sluggish compared to the new 3GS...the new OS update won't support multi tasking etc. for the 3G, plus its getting a bit scuffed/scratched so feel I'd like to upgrade, but can't decide between Milestone/Droid or Desire.

Droid for sure. not really into anything HTC has come out with so far (save the Incredible, haven't played with one, but Sense UI still sucks). Don't make the same mistake I did at first; even if you don't like physical keyboards, the phone is still small enough, and ignoring the fact you even have a physical keyboard is easy. I'm starting to use it more, but usually only when I'm really tired, or I've been drinking. ;) Bought a Droid to replace my Eris last week and I can honestly say I don't miss the 3+ years I spent with my iphone.

Anyway. Hate AT&T (especially the customer service), hate how Apple locks you into the "Apple experience" (even if you jailbreak, its not enough, and gets real buggy real quick). On the other side of that, Verizon customer service isn't that bad. They offer insurance on ALL OF THEIR PHONES, unlike the iPhone (had mine stolen and AT&T told me "tough luck" and tried to sell me a prepaid phone to replace it......... true story...). Rooting with a Droid is easy, but not REALLY necessary unless you're a bored tech geek like I am. Or whatever everyone elses excuse is.

And I'll leave you with this: Do your research on the phone before you buy it. Play with it for a while. Read up on it. Last resort, VZW offers a 30 day return policy with their phones ($35 restocking fee is WELL worth it if you don't like it), so you aren't locked into something you hate for two years.

I went from a Iphone 3g and instead of using my upgrade to a 3GS I went to Verizon and got a HtC Incredible after using a friends Moto Droid,I love this this damn phone I cant say nothing but good things about it.

After a week I have to admit I miss the simplicity of the Iphone. I am not very computer savvy but I never had issues with Force Close's and the Screen going Black. Now it says that I have little memory on the phone. I hate switching from phone to SD card...I guess I hate it because I don't properly know how to do it right or to save something to the SD card. However, I am no longer dropping calls so that being said I will give the Inc. a little more time... sense I am a ****!

I still have my iPhone 3Gs, but I upgraded my Blackberry Pearl to a HTC EVO about 10 days ago. I have to say that I like both the iPhone 3Gs and EVO for very different reasons...

iPhone 3Gs... It does everything that it's designed to do very well. It's simpler to use than the EVO, since there are less things to "tweek" and customize. I also prefer the iPhone's "iPod/iTunes" features for music over the EVO's. I owned the original before upgrading to the 3Gs last year (still have 1 yr to go on my AT&T contract). The iPhone is great, but the service provider sucks ...LOL.

HTC EVO... An awesome device based on it's specs alone and the Sprint 3G/4G network in my area has been very reliable. The only issue that I have is with the touchscreen sensitivity which has become a well know issue. I do hope HTC will developed a fix sometime soon. I'm also growing very fond of the Android OS, since you can customize your device practically any way your heart desires.

I currently have a iPhone 3GS, and I'm considering a Nexus One to replace it.

I'm slightly hesitant because last time I went from an iPhone to another phone, I didn't do my research properly.

So, if there's anyone on here who went from an iPhone to an Android phone, mind sharing your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks in advance :)

I just made that switch after having a new iPhone every year from day 1 of the first phone release. I have been using my Droid Incredible now for about a week. There is good and there is bad... but in a nutshell, here are my main thoughts.

Good.

Android is far more customizable than my iPhones ever were. I can have whatever notifications I want (I was so tired of the paltry options on the iPhone for text message sounds... and checking my phone over and over at restaurants because everyone had the same damn sound). I know this sounds small and petty... but once you have the freedom to customize, you won't want to go back.

My DInc seems more seemless than the iPhone. I can share things to facebook from anywhere... different apps can use my SMSs in different ways - with the iphone apps were all more distinct... and there was no room for approved apps that tried to better core functions of the phone. Don't like iPhone eMail? Tough shit, that's what you get. Don't like Android eMail, OK... here are 18 other programs to try out that will handle eMail on the phone.

Cons.

While the granular control you get over the phone is nice... it can also be a bit too much if you're used to Papa Jobs telling you how your phone should work. I personally like it, and am getting used to it, but it was a bit of a culture shock for me at the beginning.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts as time goes on. I'll let you know.

I used to have a 3GS, got frustrated with the restrictions and closed platform so i switched over to a Nexus One. Never regretted it. ;)

Back