• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why does GPS knock 3g down to 1x?

Raptor5150

Android Enthusiast
i noticed this when i was using my gps today.. my spotify kept skipping :( and i had to re enable data to get 3g back..

this was on Froyocream but it did it awhile back in miui

any thoughts why?

i noticed this when i was using my gps today.. my spotify kept skipping :( and i had to re enable data to get 3g back..

any thoughts why?

I've noticed that any signal other then the radio weakens it even HDMI

Pretty much everytime I use Google maps its goes down to 1x after a couple of minutes of using the app even if I have full bars, and usually it stays on 1x unless I do the airplane mode on/off thing

I've mentioned this from the first day I got it back in july, it is either some kind of interference issue (it doesn't always happen), or it's related to my theory that it's kicking you off 3G due to tower congestion once you start using data - since VM gets low priority.

There's a lot of speculation on it.

A a courier I use GPS a lot, pretty much all day. When running the gps it will inconsistantly drop to 1x when the GPS is active.

This is frustrating as it affects not only streaming but web, mail, mms, and even map data directions and voice recognition. There are times that you can airplane mode it and it will come back to 3G and times when it will still stick in 1x.

What I have noticed about it with my 'extensive' experience:

Activate an app that uses GPS for awhile, even if 5 bars of signal, not moving, and outside.....

Signal will drop to 0 bars but not go out of service. Immediately will drop to 1x and signal will be restored. Since data is in use it will not bump back up to 3G until whatever data streams are in use are completed. Being in 1x it takes forever.

If you close the app that uses the GPS and GPS turns off and you are not using any other data 3G will automatically restore itself after some time, about 20-30 seconds.

If you go back to using GPS, the cycle repeats.

Being a rather heaving music streaming user, I can say dropping to 1x all the time is more likely about interference from something rather than 'data congestion' as it will do it standing still running no other apps.

Its very annoying and I have almost chucked my phone several times because of it.

Anyhow 1st post here but I've been reading since august ;-)

There's a lot of speculation on it.

A a courier I use GPS a lot, pretty much all day. When running the gps it will inconsistantly drop to 1x when the GPS is active.

This is frustrating as it affects not only streaming but web, mail, mms, and even map data directions and voice recognition. There are times that you can airplane mode it and it will come back to 3G and times when it will still stick in 1x.

What I have noticed about it with my 'extensive' experience:

Activate an app that uses GPS for awhile, even if 5 bars of signal, not moving, and outside.....

Signal will drop to 0 bars but not go out of service. Immediately will drop to 1x and signal will be restored. Since data is in use it will not bump back up to 3G until whatever data streams are in use are completed. Being in 1x it takes forever.

If you close the app that uses the GPS and GPS turns off and you are not using any other data 3G will automatically restore itself after some time, about 20-30 seconds.

If you go back to using GPS, the cycle repeats.

Being a rather heaving music streaming user, I can say dropping to 1x all the time is more likely about interference from something rather than 'data congestion' as it will do it standing still running no other apps.

Its very annoying and I have almost chucked my phone several times because of it.

Anyhow 1st post here but I've been reading since august ;-)

<3 congrats man and thanks for the info

any thoughts why?

I thought I would chime in on this as well. I have had this, but haven't noticed it untill I started using shopkick. I thought is was the app, but I have seen it with google maps as well. Maybe when the GPS is kicked on, the cell radio is disrupted for a moment and then does it's walk up the chain to 3G but, as was mentioned by zaius42, can't because the data is active.

I wonder of there is a way to do a logcat to see what is going on. I have never tried to do one. It may even be an on going thing. I hope someone can chime in and let us know. If not, I'll look into it tomorrow if I find the time.:D

Darn work, getting in the way of my goofing off.

Dropping to 1x when using gps also occurs on the stock rom. Another thing that puzzles me is when using hdmi you can't get 3g when using phone browser app but browsing via wifi is fine.

HDMI is a network connection, weird I know, but that may be why it knocks out 3g. I was hoping someone could verify something for me. Try turning off "use wireless location"when using GPS. It worked for me. After it has GPS lock,I could turn on the wireless help and it kept 3g. Also, I'm going to try to lock on 3g only and see what happens.

When I had the triumph, I noticed this issue. My solution was to dial *#*#4636#*#* ans select EVDO only mode. This kept the data connection up. Fyi, this setting will disable wireless communication via incoming phone and texts. Those things will work again if you undo the evdo only mode.

When I had the triumph, I noticed this issue. My solution was to dial *#*#4636#*#* ans select EVDO only mode. This kept the data connection up. Fyi, this setting will disable wireless communication via incoming phone and texts. Those things will work again if you undo the evdo only mode.

Awesome ill do this on my 19 hour drive to dallas xD thx woohoo music!

This is also a setting in Settings--> Mobile network settings--> Network Preferences.

Has anyone confirmed if turning off " use wireless networks" to prevent the drop to 1x?

Awesome ill do this on my 19 hour drive to dallas xD thx woohoo music!

Well im from dallas. The gps on my MT isnt great but it locks on after awhile. and im using ics cm9.. try using prl 61007. i have great data with it,, but yeah just takes time for it to lock on

Well im from dallas. The gps on my MT isnt great but it locks on after awhile. and im using ics cm9.. try using prl 61007. i have great data with it,, but yeah just takes time for it to lock on

Im in Arlington right now and mine locks on as i start driving but i left it on evdo mode the whole 18 hours i drove down and i had spotify the whole way.. My phone just got really hot and didnt want to charge until i held it infront of my vents then i charged everytime after that

Im in Arlington right now and mine locks on as i start driving but i left it on evdo mode the whole 18 hours i drove down and i had spotify the whole way.. My phone just got really hot and didnt want to charge until i held it infront of my vents then i charged everytime after that

On my phone (running cm7), I went from St. Augustine to Orlando and it would pop from 3g to 1x. I could even search (well my wife could) while using Navigator. During our trip, both of our phones would switch to 1x. I think one of the problems is sense it uses the same antenna to receive signals, it floods the antenna so it has a hard time working properly.
Have you ever been nest to a car using a 3mmFM modulator. Even if you aren't on the radio station that the modulator is broadcasting on, it can jam out your station.

any thoughts why?

So is it confirmed that this is a custom ROM issue? I don't see that same thing happening on the stock Froyo ROM, at least with Maps & when I fire up GPS Status...

Back
Top Bottom