• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why no love for HTC Inspire??

Because for him he uses it often. I will go forth and say the average person doesn't give two craps. Europe and Asia have had this functionality for years and it is a passing fad. Its just not practical

I can appreciate that you like this device (esp since I own its relative the EVO) but let me challenge that statement (e.g. Skype is not a fad):

Upvote 0
LOL not even the sane thing LOL. Voip is huge video calling not so much

From the first linked article:

"The company is also seeing wide adoption of video chat, with it accounting for more than 40 percent of all calls made by Skype users. Skype just recently released a new app for the iPhone that allows users to make and receive video chat calls on the mobile device. That new app could help account for some of the growth in simultaneous users, particularly if new users leave it running in the background."

Let's see what happens to their traffic when it is released broadly for Android devices..

Upvote 0
From the first linked article:

"The company is also seeing wide adoption of video chat, with it accounting for more than 40 percent of all calls made by Skype users. Skype just recently released a new app for the iPhone that allows users to make and receive video chat calls on the mobile device. That new app could help account for some of the growth in simultaneous users, particularly if new users leave it running in the background."

Let's see what happens to their traffic when it is released broadly for Android devices..

I agree this is huge now. As I said I go to Italy annually and at first it was big there as well now no one uses it unless its for bussiness or distance

Upvote 0
I agree this is huge now. As I said I go to Italy annually and at first it was big there as well now no one uses it unless its for bussiness or distance

I agree there is a novelty factor that wears off but business, distance, cost considerations are real factors that make it more practical than alternatives & I'd still rather have the ability to see loved ones..:cool:

Upvote 0
You're seeing them over a blurry camera though. It's not like the lenses on the FFC's are any good, their cheap and small. I don't know, I just don't see it as anything practical or enjoyable.

i agree and for my use its a non issue when I had iphone4 i used it all of 3 times so no big. There are other functionalities that mean more to me

Upvote 0
You're seeing them over a blurry camera though. It's not like the lenses on the FFC's are any good, their cheap and small. I don't know, I just don't see it as anything practical or enjoyable.

It's definitely not the usb HD webcam on my notebook but the 1.3MP FFC on my EVO or even the more common VGA is better than nothing for sure especially when we can flip between both front & rear cameras easily (not being totally dependent on rear for video share) & future 2MP+ FFC's should be coming to more mobile devices. Simply put I'd rather have the added functionality than not.

Upvote 0
100% and total non-issue.

I RARELY (and avoid if at ALL possible) even using my phone for calls.

Why?

Very simple...say i am at work and the phone rings..it is NOT getting answered. To answer it i have to 1) leave my desk and walk out into the hall and 2) talk on it.

No no no no no no!!!!!!

Send me a text ill answer back real quick, throw the phone down and keep working.

Pretty much the EXACT same situation as if you call me when im watching tv....i am NOT answering. Text me something quick ill type out an answer.

If i am driving and have my blue tooth on..and its a long freeway trip with no traffic issues...yea ill talk.

Guess what..i am NOT going to be video talking.

WTF would i want a VIDEO phone WHEN I scarcely even want to TALK with someone via voice?

I 99% use my phone as a multi-media device for media, music, news, light web surfing, texting, flash based news clips, sports cores, and light GPS duty.

Front facing camera = OUT

Larger screen and slicker/more usable interface without having to root = IN

If i want to have the use of a keyboard ill use my 15inch lap top.

WHY ON EARTH would i carry BOTH my work lap top AND a lap top port when traveling (like i do most of the year).

The goal is to carry LESS CRAP...NOT MORE CRAP!

Atrix = out
Inspire = In

They could almost eliminate the entire "phone" portion of a phone and i doubt i would miss it..much less the front facing camera.

Jury is still out on this samsung Infuse coming but....what i am hearing about Samsungs update and support scenario is VERY QUICKLY making the HTC the phone of choice in the next month.

I have never not once use skype. Probably never will. I don't have a land line to my house. I rarely make calls except the obligatory 3 to 8 minute daily call to my girl friend with the mind numbing "how as your day, miss you, what are we doing this weekend, ok good night" thing and the heart strings (but also like pulling teeth) calls to my son where its..."what did you do today, are you being good for your mother...hello are you there...hello....hello.....yes, well i will see you on friday" type conversations.

Seriuosly..if you want to reach me, text or email..i have neither the time nor the patience for phone calls (my yearly job evaluation and buisness calls being the only exceptions...and we dont require voice chat for that either).

Edit: I also carry a Droid 2.2 powered Gtab that is rooted (vegan 5.1) for web surfing and movie watching (much larger screen, can do full desk top type of browsing experience and its flat and fits in my lap top bag. (NO MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION FEE..-WI-FI ONLY). It has a front facing camera also....i have NEVER not once accessed it.

Upvote 0
I know TONS of people who use their smart phones for pretty much EVERYTHING.....EXCEPT as a phone.
<thumbs up>

@ Andrea Cristiano: I like the sig.

I need mine to say "about to ditch my iphone"

I agree with that I barely use 100 min a month if that its all about everything else so the front.camera means jack to me

Upvote 0
The Atrix looks awesome with the specs but i doubt we see full dual core support from android before my NEXT cell phone contract is up...lol

The battery looks nice on the atrix also but there are case charges and replacement batteries for that.

As far as the lap top port etc..i say GIMMICK..unless you are BRAND NEW TO THIS ..and dont have a lap top and maybe want to try and go it without buying one...then..maybe. (depending on your needs).

The samsung infuse looks better than the HTC inspire..but (as i said) i keep hearing HORRIBLE things about their updates (along with the nearly 100% unanimous hatred of motoblur) is pushing me to inspire....weaker specs or not.

Hardware does NOT make up for weak software.

Dont believe me? Buy a gtab..its GARBAGE out of the box and has the tegra II in it....i mean its not usable. Then look at the iphone.....fairly weak hardware compared to the atrix but yet it just works and its fast and easy...

Hardware vs software..you need both and you need balance but at the end of the day..a slightly weaker hardware device with superior software support provides a much better end user experience than a stronger hardware device that has a hated UI or never gets updated. Thats been my experience.

I just wish the Inspire had an HDMI out. :(

Upvote 0
Thread has been cleaned up. Try not to go TOO OT with your posts, people. :)

I would lean towards the Atrix for the ffc. I have a lot of friends that aren't close by to where I live and being able to 'see' them when I talk to them would be great.

My best girl has an i4 and she facetime her bf every night before they go to bed. She has made the time more worthwhile because she's not simply talking to him in a phone call, but also seeing him as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones