• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why such limited activity on xoom forums?

So far no problems at all... other than the weight.

The weight is a problem? It amazes me when ~1/4 of a pound is a problem. I can see if you were carrying a box of them around all the time. I can see if you were talking about an application on a lot smaller scale, but the added weight that's almost the equivalent weight of 4 ounces of water? (It is the equivalent of 4 ounces of water difference comparing the Xoom wifi to the upcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1... it's like 3.68 ounces different between Xoom wifi to the ipad 2, and even taking the added weight for the full xoom model, that's only adding ~0.05 pounds, (less than an ounce) in addition to figures above.)

I just don't get it. Sure it would be nice. I wish it were a little lighter just so I didn't have to hear people question why I got the xoom over ipad and say it's too heavy etc, but I don't get where people are coming from on this thing. How is that much added weight really a problem? I don't think I've *ever* been in a situation where having to have the equivalent of 1/5 of a 20 ounce bottle of soda/water added to what I had to do physically (heck, even included the added mass of the bottle) would have caused any problems.

I used to rock climb... perhaps when I had 40+ pieces of gear on me, I can understand where shaving on average 2-3 ounces a piece would be incredibly beneficial, but we're talking about maxing out physical capabilities, where a few extra pounds makes a huge difference. I just can't fathom how the weight of the Xoom compared to any other tablet on the market could be a problem. I get how you could think it'd be nice to have one of the other tablets' weight specs, but in practice, I just don't see it.

Upvote 0
OK, I will come out and say it. Most of you just don't understand because you are guys. I don't care how sexist that sounds. I have enough stuff to carry so yes every gram counts. The heavier each piece is, the more carefully I have to choose which taser I put in my purse because I am more likely to wish I had that on me than a phone, tablet or makeup kit.

Reactions: Psychokitty
Upvote 0
OK, I will come out and say it. Most of you just don't understand because you are guys. I don't care how sexist that sounds. I have enough stuff to carry so yes every gram counts. The heavier each piece is, the more carefully I have to choose which taser I put in my purse because I am more likely to wish I had that on me than a phone, tablet or makeup kit.
You have more than one? lol

And yes 1.5 lbs is a bit heavy for a tablet because if you're sitting there holding it and watching a video, your arm will get tired in about 5 minutes, I tried this with the iPad and had to rest it on the armrest of the chair. I also used the 7" Galaxy tab and that was much easier to hold up longer (half a lbs?).

Upvote 0
There's no activity cause everyone is done complaining, there's nothing left to complain about. There's also nothing positive to talk about. Its like were on a sailboat in the middle of the ocean, holding out for a stiff breeze to push us to shore, but silently accepting that it may never come. The downside to adopting early and drinking koolaid with a sugar substitute. No matter the taste, it'll always come up a bit short.

Ditto. Moto's lack of apparent effort in fixing things like the microsd that is STILL not working is a tad lame, considering Asus has a working slot.

Sure, Google have been buttheads trying to impose contained storage and get rid of other storage with Honeycomb, but Moto has to get er' done.

Upvote 0
As someone who's been lugging a 17" laptop (and gear) the weight is not an issue at all. Plus most of the time my Xoom is on my desk, counter,etc in the portfolio case
I guess that's the whole thing for me -about the extra few ounces being a silly complaint (IMO). I'm also used to lugging a case around that contains my 17" lap and associated crap. And although that laptop was kick-ass when I got it, the Xoom is just as quick and responsive at three things it can do so far.

Upvote 0
I am at the point of hating my xoom .. I get many devices the first day they come out and usually hold on until they get better .... but here we are months later and now I am just disappointed.. I don't care about the SD card or the 4g .. First things first a web browser that I don't have to debug EVERYTIME i use it, The browser lags, while typing, worse than my grandma writing an email with her glasses off, a market that I can comment on and get developer email addresses from .. APPS .. the apps are ridiculous. No facebook and then I am supposed to use a mobile website on a HD screen .. STFU ... I've been quiet and not posting too because I was trying to get a f@^# tumblr app to work .. My not optimized twitter makes me crazy .. I find that I rather do shit on my DX .. Why have we not seen one update?

If motorola asks why their sales are low let me be the first to say nobody wants to buy 1/2 a product ... and 2 months later it's still half a product .. You're trying to sell one shoe motorola .. DO YOU HEAR ME?

I've sat in many discussions with iOs people and tell them why I prefer android over iOs and as I debate with them I get envious on how they can whip though social media, browse with ease, and stream netflix

I mean I love the flash compatibility but it isn't flawless .. I love all the customization of android... I love being able to download and unzip file .. I love tunee music and bit torrents ... But if you're going to give us a lack of social media apps then you need to at least give us a browser that works.. I don't like Dolphin HD cause the tabs scroll up and you have to rescroll up to click other tabs .. firefox is low resolution as is Miren and Dolphin mini(which is my favorite browser I wish they made it in HD)

So everyone can sit here and tell me the Kool Aid tastes good but the question is "Aren't you still thirsty?" .. Please motorola give us a glass of water .. We are die hards here .. We jumped on at a high ticket of $800 That's almost 2 iPads .. hook your peoples up!

Upvote 0
I am at the point of hating my xoom .. I get many devices the first day they come out and usually hold on until they get better .... but here we are months later and now I am just disappointed.. I don't care about the SD card or the 4g .. First things first a web browser that I don't have to debug EVERYTIME i use it, The browser lags, while typing,

I only experience typing frustration on this site. Sell it on eBay if it's bothering you that much. If I got more mileage out of my Droid phone than this, I would have taken it back when the trial was over.

Upvote 0
I only experience typing frustration on this site. Sell it on eBay if it's bothering you that much. If I got more mileage out of my Droid phone than this, I would have taken it back when the trial was over.

If you do sell it take your time and date for awhile. Don't jump right back into marriage. The grass is not always greener! Separation may help your heart grow fonder for the xoom. Above all, no one night stands.

Upvote 0

Sold it on eBay, bought an iPad 2 and haven't had one regret since. Wish I'd been smarter and not lost $300 to begin with. BTW I'm typing this on my iPad 2 and there is ZERO lag like there was with my Xoom. I just wish there was a Phandroid app in the AppStore. Any chance they'll open Tapatalk back up for those of us that use both brands now? :rolleyes: I didn't think so. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones