• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

jamo

Android Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2010
SC
I'm going to be going overseas in a month or so and I plan on taking my Droid with me. I don't want to incur any crazy possible roaming charges, so is it possible to turn on just wi-fi without any other connections? I'd like to be able to use the wi-fi (and I'm hoping the Skype client will be out by then) without having to worry about any crazy cdma connections.

I just got back from the Caribbean where I did exactly that, and it worked without a hitch. Just be sure to not power your phone down at any point, as it will turn the cellular radio back on after booting up (regardless of whether you were in airplane mode or not when you shut it down), causing "unwanted" texts, vmails, etc to come through.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones