• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiFi only phone

Crosley123

Child question.

Have an older Android phone my son would like to use for two functions:

1. To Instant Message us when he is ready to be picked up from school after events. If he connects to the schools WiFi, is there an IM program he could use for this or is a cell connection required?

2. The camera for a few school assignments and have the ability to connect to the school's WiFi and email the pictures to his teacher. I'm assuming this should not be a problem.

Thanks.

Child question.

Have an older Android phone my son would like to use for two functions:

1. To Instant Message us when he is ready to be picked up from school after events. If he connects to the schools WiFi, is there an IM program he could use for this or is a cell connection required?

2. The camera for a few school assignments and have the ability to connect to the school's WiFi and email the pictures to his teacher. I'm assuming this should not be a problem.

Thanks.

1) Hangouts should be able to do that. As long as you turn off the data connection on the phone, it should work for wifi only.

2) As long as you make sure the data is turned off on the phone, he should be able to connect to the school's wifi and email pictures to his teacher.

Any other options besides Hangouts? He's only 10 and I'm not wild about signing him up for a Google account yet.

Nothing with emails either . you would have to set up a Google account in either parents name and set up a signature with the child name. Or the signature will need to start or end with " this is tommy son of "and you would need to put your names in . the age is a big thing and somewhat scares to me . or ask his teacher what programs do she feel is safe to use .

If you remove the Sim card, the phone will have no cell phone service or data service, but it still will be able to connect to wifi and it will be able to do everything except calls and texts (yes camera will work). As for messaging app, just look on the play store for "free texting" applications, which will use Internet to send SMS to phones. Hope this helped!

Any other options besides Hangouts? He's only 10 and I'm not wild about signing him up for a Google account yet.

I honestly can't think of a calling option that wouldn't require signing up for an account with a valid email address.

Skype, maybe?...But even Skype requires an email address.

I tried Viper, but it required a one time phone call or SMS to the phone (based on phone number) in order to set up the account.

Same for WhatsApp.

Any program that will not have a phone number as a requirement for set up?

Back
Top Bottom