• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi scanning every 5 seconds

nykyrian

Lurker
Oct 11, 2012
Does anyone have issues with the WiFi continually scanning every 5 seconds even though it is connected and pulling pages? This is driving me nuts! I watch a lot of webCast for school and so everytime it scans there is a lengthy pause in the video, then I have to wait for it to load again... 5-10 sec later the same thing happens. I've tried making my IP static and that does nothing. I've already done a factory reset and I hate to have to do it again(tmi). I'm not rooted cuz I have no idea what that means, what it does, or how to do it, or if it would help. My samnote is only WiFi, I dont have a 'carrier'.. I'm also running the 4.0.4 (is this ice cream sandwich?), I originally did the reset to get rid of the update, but it didn't take it out. Any other ideas on what I can do or what is causing the scanning?

Update: 10/15 I've tried doing a factory reset and it didn't remove the 4.0.4 update, is there a way to manually do this without it going haywire? Another glitch after the update I've had issues with s-note as the right bottom cornor goes wacky even through the pen-detection is on. After contacting samsung they said it was the sense-touch sensitivity was too high... still waiting on that update to fix what they have messed up now.

December 1, 2012: My new Galaxy Note II (24 hours old) also scans every six seconds, trying to find data. My guess is that AT&T has not properly activated the mobile Data, even though I can make calls and send texts. Mobile works, but not for Data. My Wi-Fi Data works from four feet away, but scans every six seconds. But I can't get mobile data or other Wi-Fi signals further away that I could get on my old phone. I'll check with AT&T tomorrow. The activation still shows Pending. I also was on Chat today with Samsung Support.

So have your carrier check their Data activation to your phone. The continual scanning is just trying to lock in a solid data stream. If you have a super-strong data signal, Wi-Fi will work. I know that sounds weird -- and it is.

Upvote 0
December 1, 2012: My new Galaxy Note II (24 hours old) also scans every six seconds, trying to find data. My guess is that AT&T has not properly activated the mobile Data, even though I can make calls and send texts. Mobile works, but not for Data. My Wi-Fi Data works from four feet away, but scans every six seconds. But I can't get mobile data or other Wi-Fi signals further away that I could get on my old phone. I'll check with AT&T tomorrow. The activation still shows Pending. I also was on Chat today with Samsung Support.

So have your carrier check their Data activation to your phone. The continual scanning is just trying to lock in a solid data stream. If you have a super-strong data signal, Wi-Fi will work. I know that sounds weird -- and it is.

Wrong thread, mate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones