• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root WIFI Tether

bobloadmire

Android Enthusiast
I have root now and got an app from the app store called "Barnacle Wifi Tether." and granted it root access with superuser. i get errors

"NAT: Could not set MTU of rmnet0: argument." and "wifi failed to start supplicant: invalid argument." and "NAT: restart: network is down.".

waht gives? looks like they blocked it at a low level.

Yeah I rooted mine the other day and tried using the wireless-tether app from the market and tethering doesn't work for it either. I was browsing the other forums and apparently the triumph doesn't have the supported kernels for it. Whatever that means. I guess we just have to wait for developers to make some awesome roms.

I use Wireless Tether and I was able to setup a hotspot and connect. Although my laptop said it connected phone didn't appear to recognize any incoming connections and wouldn't assign it an IP. I may fool around with a few more settings to see what I can figure out.

got wifi tethering working with barnacle wifi tether. go to settings ---> clients ---> new client actions ---> check allow which grants access to your NAT

After doing that in barnacle app are you able to do wifi tethering successfully ? as all websites open on your laptop?

somebody said only Google domain's sites were opening.

Try something like espn/yahoo and see if it opens.

yes. first thing i did was go to facebook and a few other pages to make sure because i had read the same thing, but i didn't have to change the DNS servers at all like the other guy did.

The above setting did not work for me.

Installed Barnacle and got a warning on startup:
Barnacle had trouble starting wpa_supplicant.
Try again but set 'Skip wpa_supplicant' in settings

Change Made, restarted.
Got a message: "Beaconing ad-hoc network"

wifi network is showing using wifi analyser (ssid = barnacle)
Connected to it via a laptop (Windows XP)
Was able to connect to google, but not other sites

Made setting change above:
Settings ---> clients ---> new client actions ---> check allow

Disconnected WIFI, Stopped and Started Barnacle on phone
Reconnected laptop

It shows traffic on the phone (.20 kB/s or slower)
But web pages to not appear to load on laptop
Also could not ssh from laptop to unix box on internet.

I do notice a message:
NAT: Could not set MTU of rmnet0: Invalid argument

Being able tether in infrastructure is my deciding factor as to whether or not I purchase the Triumph. In the meantime, I'll be sticking to my rooted Prevail and tethering with wifi tether 3.2beta2 and be watching this thread like hawk.

I also played with WiFi Tether a bit...

While I couldn't get it to connect via Wifi,
I PAN Bluetooth connected from my Color Nook.

Using that connection, I was able to connect to Google sites -
but not other websites.

Interesting to see the consistency with what can be accessed through both tools.

Played with Barnacle some more...

Need to do it with a network sniffer at some point, but what I've seen so far:

1.) It is NOT a DNS issue. I *can* resolve DNS entries for non-google sites

2.) There *is* some connectivity to non-google sites.
Ping (ICMP) works to non-google sites too

www . yahoo . com - issues a redirect to: http:// m . yahoo . com/?.tsrc=yahoo&mobile_view_default=true

www . weather . com redirects to: http:// mw . weather . com

Based on that - I get the impression that small packets are getting through.

I think that there is more importance to the MTU setting (and thus the following error) than we may be crediting:
NAT: Could not set MTU of rmnet0: Invalid argument

If anyone would like to give these suggestions a try... I don't have time today.

I found these threads through the magic of Google:
Barnacle Problem
Suggestion: Go to the SuperUser app and forget permissions for Barnacle, wipe Data for Barnacle, and try again.

android-wifi-tether not working [Archive] - xda-developers &
szym.net Troubleshooting
Suggestion: Try forcing your MTU to the phone's MTU setting on the connecting device. The values of 1250 and 1280 were for other phones and the Triumph may have a completely different MTU setting. If anyone can find out the phone's MTU setting this may be worth a shot.

EDIT2: I found the max unfragmented packet size w/o header (ping -s 1016 www.google.com in Terminal Emulator) is 1016, thus, the MTU size is 1016. Try setting your connecting device to an MTU of 1016 and see if it works.

The designers website listed something similar under the troubleshooting section: szym.net Troubleshooting

If anyone would like to give these suggestions a try... I don't have time today.

I found these threads through the magic of Google:
Barnacle Problem
Suggestion: Go to the SuperUser app and forget permissions for Barnacle, wipe Data for Barnacle, and try again.

Tried that last night with no change.

Thanks for the other links...
Last night I hadn't been successful at determining how/where to change the MTU - hope to play with it more soon.

Tried that last night with no change.

Thanks for the other links...
Last night I hadn't been successful at determining how/where to change the MTU - hope to play with it more soon.

Phone or PC MTU setting? If you are using Windows you can edit it in the registry. If Linux: ifconfig <eth device> mtu #
You can also use the Linux command on your phone in Terminal Emulator. I wasn't brave enough to mess with it.

ifconfig rmnet0

the largest value that the Triumph will accept for mtu is 1472

Anything larger results in:
error: SIOCSIFMTU (Invalid argument)

Confirmed on my own laptop.

On Triumph (as root)
ifconfig rmnet0 mtu 1400
ifconfig wlan0 mtu 1400

On WinXP Laptop:
Set the MTU (No reboot required)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\interfaceGUID
Add a new REG_DWORD called MTU
Enter a value 1400

Disable, and Re-Enable your Wireless Interface

Enable Barnacle on Triumph
Connect to network on Laptop

Happy Browsing

I've sent an email to the developer,
as I'm hoping that we might be able to get a "Custom Wifo Ad-hoc" that will set the correct MTU size.

I also know that the troubleshooting page for barnacle stated:

NAT restart: Message too long

On Samsung Vibrant the MTU of the mobile data interface is set to 1280. Since version 0.5.2, Barnacle will send ICMP packets to the client to indicate that the MTU needs to be reduced.

I'm wondering if it does that for all phones, or if it is something special for the Samsung profile.
We may need something similar for the Triumph (using the mtu size of 1472)

We may need something similar for the Triumph (using the mtu size of 1472)

I pointed that out in an earlier post. :P
The Triumph's default MTU is 1016.

Glad to hear it worked. BTW, 1472 is the max because the packet header is 28 bytes and the total can't be higher than 1500.

Has increasing the MTU size had any affect on your regular 3g use?

Has increasing the MTU size had any affect on your regular 3g use?

Speed tests seemed to work well (if not faster).
And I didn't notice network drops yesterday as I had before.

Today I've been in range of my home wifi, so I haven't used much 3g other than random tests.

I haven't been able to find a way for the phone MTU to display...
Seems like it should be able to be viewed with the right switches being sent to ifconfig

I am unable to use barnacle tether, I am able to usb tether using pda net. Although i would like to connect to my ipod touch as well I am unable to, If someone finds a soution please lt me know. Johbrownn@aol.com, I do wonder if the software that is available in the lg optimus v can be some how modified for the motorola triumph.

I haven't been able to find a way for the phone MTU to display...
Seems like it should be able to be viewed with the right switches being sent to ifconfig

There may be another way, but you can use ping from adb or Terminal Emulator and adjust the packet size until the packets would get through unfragmented: ping -s 1016 www.google.com

1016 was the magic size.

and i just had to set a manual mtu size in my command prompt running as admin. value set to 1472 was perfect and didnt degrade my router wireless at all, so all around im happy and stoked that i dont need to pay 20+ bucks to wirelessy tether my phone to my comp if need be.

Back
Top Bottom