• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root WIFI Tether

Speed tests seemed to work well (if not faster).
And I didn't notice network drops yesterday as I had before.

Today I've been in range of my home wifi, so I haven't used much 3g other than random tests.

I haven't been able to find a way for the phone MTU to display...
Seems like it should be able to be viewed with the right switches being sent to ifconfig

I cannot comment on the 3g speeds as of yet but I have noticed a difference in connection integrity out here in 1x land (curse sprint's non-upgrade of our nearest tower). Up to now I`ve tried the speedtest.net app on 1x here in rural ohio and have not been able to even start the test. I tried after setting the mtu to 1472 and it connected straight away and actually went through the test several times even showing no bars on the phone signal. (whereas before even at the strongest point I could find it would timeout and not work). I successfully tethered to my laptop as well once I matched the MTU settings on it. Good work on the information flow guys.

I think you guys may be fooling yourselves. I adjusted the MTU to 1472 on the phone and tried ping -s 1472 Google and got no response. I only relieved responses with pings below the 1016 size meaning the MTU is still set to 1016. I suggest you try the same.

I'm baffled how adjusting the MTU of your PC resolved the problem.

Setting MTU to 1472 via the following in command prompt, as administrator:

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1472 store=persistent

allows the Triumph to tether properly through Barnacle. You only need to set this on the client (device connecting to the phone). It seems the phone rejects packets with more than 1472 bytes, and I can only guess Google is configured to send less than most other sites, which would explain why only Google seemed to load. But I don't know all the technical details there.

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wireless Network Connection" mtu=1472 store=persistent

allows the Triumph to tether properly through Barnacle. You only need to set this on the client (device connecting to the phone). It seems the phone rejects packets with more than 1472 bytes, and I can only guess Google is configured to send less than most other sites, which would explain why only Google seemed to load. But I don't know all the technical details there.

That should be a sticky now that we've figured it out...

Does this need to be done each time you connect to the phone? If so, maybe a batch file set to run as Admin might be a good way to go.

Does this need to be done each time you connect to the phone? If so, maybe a batch file set to run as Admin might be a good way to go.

It likely needs to be run every time you reboot Windows, but I've yet to reboot, so I cannot verify.

There's probably a registry setting that would make the change permanent across boots, but I don't know.

I think you guys may be fooling yourselves. I adjusted the MTU to 1472 on the phone and tried ping -s 1472 Google and got no response. I only relieved responses with pings below the 1016 size meaning the MTU is still set to 1016. I suggest you try the same.

I'm baffled how adjusting the MTU of your PC resolved the problem.

only in vista should this be prominent to have to do. if you're running either XP or windows 7 then there are easier ways to recalibrate your MTU settings. just search google for "changing wireless MTU settings for (place operating system here)" and it should bring up all the info on how to change yours for your specific OS.

I've been following this thread for a while. I own a samsung galaxy prevail with boost right now and have no problems with wireless tether. I'm wondering if there have been any updates or developments regarding wireless tether on the triumph. I would really love to switch over to a much more powerful phone but not having wifi tether really limits me. So if anybody has any updates please do share! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom