• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Will Gingerbread (if forced on me) mess up my current apps?

lburgguy

If VM pushes an update to our Optimuses of Gingerbread, how will that affect the apps and settings I already have on my rooted phone? I don't want VM pushing this on me and forcing me to make a ton of changes just to get back to where I am now.

Thoughts?

It would be the same as changing from one ROM to another. You will loose all apps and data not part of the Gapps that comes with the update. It wouldn't hurt to back up your apps to your PC by putting them in a new folder and putting it somewhere on your PC that you can remember. Contacts and such will be backed up with your Google account.

Okay, that leads me to my next question;

I am rooted but am not using a custom rom. Seems that what I'm reading about backing up roms is all about custom roms, what about my situation. I just want to backup my phone as it stands now. Thanks.

Okay, that leads me to my next question;

I am rooted but am not using a custom rom. Seems that what I'm reading about backing up roms is all about custom roms, what about my situation. I just want to backup my phone as it stands now. Thanks.
For any more info on this matter it would be best to go to the "All Things Root" sub-forum

Back
Top Bottom