• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiMax coverage?

^Is that the right map? I looked at a clearwire map to check for coverage a few days ago and the results were much better than the above map. Now im confused.

Still confused. Should I be looking at a clearwire coverage map or the above link? sorry for my ignorance but the difference between the 2 maps im looking at will decide on whether I get this phone or not.

Well clearwire gives you the theoretical coverage - if there was absolutely no obsticles. The sensorly map is provided solely by users who have an app that uploads data to sensorly to be displayed. If clearwire coverage is strong and sensorly shows signals beyond your home then yes I'd say you should be good to go. If clearwire coverage is still beyond your home but sensorly shows spotty places for signals then I'd say your tower is weak and you may or may not have coverage on the road. If both are week then I'd say your outta luck.

^For me, the clearwire map shows the entire city covered nicely, but the Sensorly map looks horrible about 50ft circles around each tower. That doesnt make sense. Surely it must work if youre further than 50ft from the tower.
I dunno.
Im probably buying the phone either way, so we'll see:confused:

None of these maps are going to be accurate. Back home I shouldn't of had any 3G or voice access at all according to their maps, but my bars were always full. A long trip across the US also proved to me that their maps are wrong. Where I should of had tons of access, my phone was completely without service for 3 days of travel.

I have read several articles saying that Sprint will phase out Wimax as they move ahead with plans for their LTE network.

Does this mean that just Sprint (contract customers) will be phased out of Wimax and be handed down to Virgin Mobile (non-contract customers) or does this mean Wimax for both contract and non-contract customers will be phased out by 2015?

I mean, I'm sure I will have yet another phone by the time 2015 comes around, but just curious..

None of these maps are going to be accurate. Back home I shouldn't of had any 3G or voice access at all according to their maps, but my bars were always full. A long trip across the US also proved to me that their maps are wrong. Where I should of had tons of access, my phone was completely without service for 3 days of travel.

It is probably accurate, it just may not be 100% complete meaning barely anyone has uploaded data for all of the city your at. You can contribute to the map if you want through an app they provide.

I have read several articles saying that Sprint will phase out Wimax as they move ahead with plans for their LTE network.

Does this mean that just Sprint (contract customers) will be phased out of Wimax and be handed down to Virgin Mobile (non-contract customers) or does this mean Wimax for both contract and non-contract customers will be phased out by 2015?

I mean, I'm sure I will have yet another phone by the time 2015 comes around, but just curious..

Sprint will not be rolling out any new wimax cities and will phase it out by 2014 iirc. If you do have wimax in your city, it will be expanded for better signal. That's all that will be done.

I believe the latter.

I believe the latter.

You may be right.. but if that is true, then that means both prepaid and contract phones will be using LTE after 2015? I would like to think Wimax and 3G will stick around for the purpose of the prepaid market and the fact that people will always want a "better deal" for sub-par network usage.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows for sure.

You may be right.. but if that is true, then that means both prepaid and contract phones will be using LTE after 2015? I would like to think Wimax and 3G will stick around for the purpose of the prepaid market and the fact that people will always want a "better deal" for sub-par network usage.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows for sure.

I'm not sure they even know yet. This is just their idea how to still make use of their WiMax service until 2015 as they try to launch LTE. I would like to think we'll all be on LTE after that :D

I'm not sure they even know yet. This is just their idea how to still make use of their WiMax service until 2015 as they try to launch LTE. I would like to think we'll all be on LTE after that :D

Also, they will even be making use of 3G technology for some time.. for the iPhone, according to the link I just posted. So the transition to LTE may be quick, but I'm starting to think Wimax and 3G will be around for a while.

Also, they will even be making use of 3G technology for some time.. for the iPhone, according to the link I just posted. So the transition to LTE may be quick, but I'm starting to think Wimax and 3G will be around for a while.

At least until 4g becomes what 3g is today

Back
Top Bottom