• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wipe DNA Down And Reflash Rom

CoyotesFan4Evr

Android Enthusiast
OK, so I flashed well dirty flashed from the M7 Rom over to NuSense One Max Rom. I did this awhile ago and I had problems off the bat, which I know I know I shouldn't have dirty flashed the Rom but in my defense I read that it was OK to do it. However I didn't read the post correctly as it was stating that coming from the beta of the NuSense One Max Rom you could dirty flash. I had to flash the Rom at least 3 times. Now ever since flashing my first Rom on my DNA I haven't had a backup. For whatever reason every backup I've made and tried to restore it tells me the MD5 sum is wrong or bad. So I have no original backup either. So this worries me because I need to wipe my phone down and reflash the One Max Rom. But I can't get any help with a good safe method to wipe my phone and reflash and get my phone running with no problems.

My biggest issue is that the one game I play on my phone is The Simpson's Tapped Out and it constantly gives me the The Simpson's has stopped message. It's not every time I play it but it's a lot and it's annoying. So that's the biggest issue that I want to get fixed.

Sorry coyotes,your only option here is to chose the "wipe data/factory reset" option,then wipe cache and dalvik for good measure.

You can use titanium or an equivalent app to restore your user apps only and their associated data,but there is no way that you can restore or retain your current setup. You're going to have to start with a clean slate,and reset everything up.

If there are newer versions of whatever recovery you're using,I would recomend to update that as well.

I know that Scotty. I guess my verbiage was incorrect and I should have explained a little better. I know I'll have to start fresh. What I'm worried about is if something goes wrong and I have a brick on my hands. Or even a soft brick. I have no backup at all. I researched and asked the question before on the md5 sum issue and never found or heard anything back about it.

I also don't have a supposedly working superSU. I tried the patch and nothing worked. I know I still have root, but superSU is bad. I have TWRP recovery and clockwork because I use Rom manager. However clockwork keeps overriding TWRP when I try to set it up. No idea why either. This Rom runs great and I really like it. I just want the little bugs I have going on because if the dirty flash to go away. And the potential of having sense 6 somewhat makes me happy because I've been itching for a new phone for awhile, but haven't been able to save the money yet to go upgrade. I guess I'm just worrying so much because last time when I flashed this Rom I had to do it 4 times before I got into the phone. So here is to hoping this explains everything better. Thanks Scotty for the help as always.

In the event soething goes wrong you can either reflash your rom,flash a different rom,or run an ruu. While its a good idea to have backups,the lack of them is certainly no reason to avoid a wipe and reflash.

You proly are having recovery issues because of rom manager. I would recomend you do not use it,its much safer to do things manually in recovery.

Last and not least,I'd venture to guess your superuser issues are related to your dirty flash.

If you wipe and reflash,I think you'll find things to be a lot smoother :)

Yes that was stated as probably the problem, however I was given a link to an update for it that was suppose to fix it and it didn't. It states that the binary isn't updated and to check with the developer if I'm above 4.3 I always thought Rom manager was the one to use. I guess since I've been so happy with my DNA from the start that I haven't kept up on little changes like that.

I'll make time tomorrow or Thursday to prep everything and be up and running by the weekend with it all. I have a really bad bug on the best computer in the house that I have yet been able to get rid of do I'm trying to stay away from putting anything on it so as to keep from having to deal with said bug. Avast won't even clear it out and it gets rid of everything from what I've personally seen. Anyways, I'll use titanium backup to back everything up first. It's what I've always used. I know my pictures won't be affected as always.

Slightly off topic question here Scotty, what virtual storage do you prefer or have you seen preferred by most users to save their pictures to and the like? Drop box doesn't like my phone. Google drive really hates my phone, so I'm just kind of wondering what simple option is out there for me? Basically both of those options auto upload no matter what I tell them, they are always laggy no matter what too. And this was all pre dirty flash, pre root, and even stock rooted.

Ok so Scotty, I have a problem. Titanium backup tells me I don't have root when I know I do. How am I suppose to make backups of my apps when this happens? Grr, I'm really regretting doing this dirty flash. This is so stupid. I suppose I can count this as a lesson learned.:banghead:

Ok so Scotty, I have a problem. Titanium backup tells me I don't have root when I know I do. How am I suppose to make backups of my apps when this happens? Grr, I'm really regretting doing this dirty flash. This is so stupid. I suppose I can count this as a lesson learned.:banghead:

Try erasing cache and data from titanium backup in settings/apps then force stop it. If that doesn't work,try un installing,then reinstalling it.

Yeah tried that several times. Still didn't work. I just opted to use backup and restore. Decent app actually. I guess tomorrow night be the day for a clean start finally. Only looking forward to everything working right. Not looking forward to everything else that goes with it.

Yeah tried that several times. Still didn't work. I just opted to use backup and restore. Decent app actually. I guess tomorrow night be the day for a clean start finally. Only looking forward to everything working right. Not looking forward to everything else that goes with it.

Odd,that has always worked for me. Sometimes it helps to clear data in supersu,the reinstall tibu. Glad you got something to.work. good lock with your clean start :)

So Scotty, I haven't taken the plunge yet into making that fresh start because there have been some updates to how to do so. First I read that I'll need the latest radios and firmware as well as the newest TWRP which is a beta version. Now I use Nova, and when I go to do the TWRP install it tells me that it will wipe my settings with Nova so it makes me not do it. Also the method for getting the correct radios and firmware worry me because it has to be done thru command prompt and it makes me feel like it's more technical than it should be seeing as the whole reason I got into flashing ROM's and rooting my phones is because it's a simple process. Download this, flash that, reboot, and BAM done. I'm not the normal tech type of guy that can just slam down 800 bucks for a replacement phone while in contract just because I brink my current one. I would really like to learn how to build ROM's myself and I had been looking into it. If could get rid of this bug on my computer i would continue looking into it but I'm still stuck on getting it gone. Anyways, just wanted your take on what I've learned recently.

I would not call the things you've listed "updates to the start fresh process". While the latest firmware may yield some improvements,your phone is currently working,so it will work with your current radios and firmware. As for twrp I can't.coment on that,there may be a reason you need the newest,or you may be fine with what you as long as its a recent version. If you can't simply save your nova settings,sounds like you may have to re-set that up as well.

IMO,the command prompt is not complicated,its just a little different. Anything flashed via the bootloader must be flashed this way on newer phones due to the lack of a physical sd card. Once you do the process a couple times you'll likely find its actually quicker and easier than the old way of loading files onto the sd card.

My advice would be start afresh. Wether or not to update twrp first would depend on the reasons they say you need to,tho I'd say you will be fine to factory reset your rom with your current version. Once you're up and.running again,you can decide if you need to update the firmware. In other words,treat that as a second project since you can do it at any time :)

Hope that helps :)

That helps a lot Scotty. And I called it updates to my process because it hadn't been really mentioned in the thread for the Rom until someone asked about the flash not working for them. Now maybe I missed it but I'm pretty sure the thing about the radios and firmware were not mentioned in the opening post because I read those very carefully. Now I tried the TWRP install after backing up my Nova and all it did was give me the message that Nova had stopped working but yet I back out and it's working fine. So I don't know what the crap is going on there. And I was a bit wrong on the command prompt thing I think. The developer says to put the phone in ruu mode and do the flash for the radios and firmware. That is something I'm not familiar with, at least not to my knowledge I'm not. However he did say I could flash them in bootloader mode. I have some other things to do today but I hope my fresh start can happen by tonight.

And I was a bit wrong on the command prompt thing I think. The developer says to put the phone in ruu mode and do the flash for the radios and firmware. That is something I'm not familiar with, at least not to my knowledge I'm not.

the way to flash firmware via ruu mode is this:
if youre working with a booted,operational phone,you can flsh the file in the following manner:

-open a cmd window

-change to adb/fastboot directory
cd c:\foldername
(cd c:\mini-adb if youve used any of my guides :))

-place the zip file you want to flash into adb/fastboot directory

-enable usb debug,disable fastboot,plug in phone

-check for connectivity
adb devices (should return serial number)

-boot to fastboot
adb reboot bootloader

-check for connectivity again
fastboot devices

-flash the file
fastboot erase cache

fastboto oem rebootRUU (will put you in ruu mode,black screen silver htc letters)

fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip (will send and flash the file. dont interupt it while the cmd window shows its writinging,and the green status bar is moving on the phone screen)

*sometimes a file will fail with a pre-update error. this is normal,just enter again:
fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip
and this time it will finish

-when you get "finished" and "OK"
fastboot reboot-bootloader (takes you back to fastboot)

-reboot back to the OS
fastbooot reboot

you can use this if you dont have an operational phone as well. you just need to manually put the phone in fastboot(select from hboot menu) then skip the "adb" commands and start with fastboot devices

Well, I flashed the radios. Went just fine thru the normal recovery method. Tried to do the same thing with the firmware....no dice. So either I need a different firmware zip to do it from recovery, or I have to do the ruu method. Which I'm trying to keep from doing that, but whatever.

I'm thinking I'm just going to do a clean flash of my current Rom since it is sense 5 and 4.4 ported from the One Max and it's the next phone I'm getting. The features I want from the other Rom might not even work right on my phone, although I haven't read that they don't.

So, I have stayed away from actually trying out blinkfeed for well since getting my DNA and rooting it to a Rom that supports it. Now I want to try it and....I can't find it on my phone. I hide the app icon in my app drawer and I don't know how to get it back. Any help would be awesome!

On my stock DNA there was a setting in the menu options to enable BlinkFeed,but it's not stock now so I can't look for it for you.

Also remember if you want to use BlinkFeed or any sense widgets/features you will need to use the sense launcher and not nova.

Dang it, you are good Scotty. I love nova launcher. Soooo.....no blinkfeed for me huh? Crap!

Lol... Looks thata way. ;)

I've not really messed with third party launchers since HTC started letting me change what's in the dockbar. I've never been a huge sense fan,but I gotta admit blinkfeed is kinda neat and has grown on me :o

While that is true, sense doesn't allow overlapping of icons and I like the round button for going into the app drawer. Just stuff like that, that makes me like nova over stock. I won't use any other launcher other than stock besides nova.

But the temptation to go stock rooted is big because of the update that's coming. If I didn't mention it before, I'm on a one max Rom. With sense 5.5 and I did that because the one max is my next phone. So I wanted a test drive on the software and see how I like it on this phone with weaker hardware. So far it's great. But I think that with the one max I'll root but stay stock. Just to be able to use stuff like blink feed.

So Scotty, I need your opinion on if my SIM card is taking a crap or not. I haven't had a problem with my SIM card ever. However since flashing the newest version of the beast mode kernel I at random times get a message saying a phone prices has stopped and when I look at my signal bar, I have none it's just an x. Then the signal comes back and I know this because I get a message saying preparing SIM card. This has happened....4 times that I've seen. A couple posts back was when I did the beast mode kernel flash just for reference.

So Scotty, I need your opinion on if my SIM card is taking a crap or not. I haven't had a problem with my SIM card ever. However since flashing the newest version of the beast mode kernel I at random times get a message saying a phone prices has stopped and when I look at my signal bar, I have none it's just an x. Then the signal comes back and I know this because I get a message saying preparing SIM card. This has happened....4 times that I've seen. A couple posts back was when I did the beast mode kernel flash just for reference.

id say that theres a good chance your data issues are due tot he fact that you flashed radios and not the matching firmware and now have a mixmatch of firmware,and a "dirty" copy of your rom and data from your lack of wiping.

i would pretty strongly recomend that you run an ruu to get yourself back on track. leave it stock for a couple days and see if your data issue persists. if not,you can try a CLEAN install of your rom. if it does,then you may need to go to vzw and swap out your sim.

i know you hate set up and thats not the advice you want,but thats what i would recomend.

Actually I did do the matching firmware. Everything is on track with that, I just decided to flash the beast mode kernel to give it a shot and see if that might help my Simpson's game. I'm on wi-fi most of the time so the SIM card issue hasn't been hurting me. I just wanted to know if this is the start of it going out so that way I can just get it replaced now and end the issues before they get worse.

I would hate to go back to stock after being rooted and modded for so long. And if I did I would change to the new Rom I've been wanting to try anyways. And would doing the ruu get me there anyways? I don't have a backup anymore because the md5 sum was always bad. It happened once today already, but I'm at work and can only really mess with my phone on breaks so it's not the end of the world.

Actually I did do the matching firmware. Everything is on track with that, I just decided to flash the beast mode kernel to give it a shot and see if that might help my Simpson's game. I'm on wi-fi most of the time so the SIM card issue hasn't been hurting me. I just wanted to know if this is the start of it going out so that way I can just get it replaced now and end the issues before they get worse.

I would hate to go back to stock after being rooted and modded for so long. And if I did I would change to the new Rom I've been wanting to try anyways. And would doing the ruu get me there anyways? I don't have a backup anymore because the md5 sum was always bad. It happened once today already, but I'm at work and can only really mess with my phone on breaks so it's not the end of the world.

when did you flash firmware? last thing you said was this:

Well, I flashed the radios. Went just fine thru the normal recovery method. Tried to do the same thing with the firmware....no dice. So either I need a different firmware zip to do it from recovery, or I have to do the ruu method. Which I'm trying to keep from doing that, but whatever.

sometimes im not sure why you even ask my advice,mr coyotes. most of the time,your reply is explaining why you dont want to follow it. ;)

its really not a big deal. sure it sucks to be stock a couple days,but to me its worth it to have a correctly funtioning phone. i did forget a small step earlier,so add this in:
-make a backup
-update user apps and backup with titanium or equivalent
-backup storage to PC
-run stock ruu (here)
-factory reset from hboot <- important to do after ruu,with stock recovery in place
-run the phone a few days
-prollem solved: fresh install of favorite rom
-not solved: go to vzw,while youre still stock for a new sim
-allow phone to ota to current firmware before re-rooting
again,just my 2 cents. if your dropping signal doesnt bother you,it certainly doesnt bother me,im just trying to help :D

its been my experience with sim cards that there is no "starting to go out". they either work,or they dont.

Just got the preparing SIM card message again. Not even a minute ago. First time today. Think I should just go get a new one on my way home?

Back
Top Bottom