• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wipe DNA Down And Reflash Rom

Alright, I'm going to take the dive today. I don't think running stock rooted will make a difference. However I can't do that anyways because I don't have the stock Rom anymore in the first place. My thing is, is my issue is getting worse. I just got a message stating that my SIM is unrecognized. Not a good thing huh?

Just so I can be clear, I need to make a back up and place it on my computer correct? I ask because my thought is to do a different Rom. I want to go to sense 6. If could tell me what radio and kernel I'm suppose to be on that would help a lot. You know me well enough that I'm thorough on my flashes most of the time. So direct me to the right thread or just telling me the correct info is good enough too. Thanks!

Alright, I'm going to take the dive today. I don't think running stock rooted will make a difference. However I can't do that anyways because I don't have the stock Rom anymore in the first place. My thing is, is my issue is getting worse. I just got a message stating that my SIM is unrecognized. Not a good thing huh?

Just so I can be clear, I need to make a back up and place it on my computer correct? I ask because my thought is to do a different Rom. I want to go to sense 6. If could tell me what radio and kernel I'm suppose to be on that would help a lot. You know me well enough that I'm thorough on my flashes most of the time. So direct me to the right thread or just telling me the correct info is good enough too. Thanks!

Coyotes you're a big boy and if you don't want to.follow my advice you're welcome to come up with your own plan.

However,no matter how many times you ask,my answer isn't going to be different. I have good reason for recomending the steps that I have,and IMO that's what you need to do.

I think your phone is a mismatch of software and firmware and definately in need of a fresh start. I do not believe simply flashing a new rom will do anything for you,especially if you're going to just do another dirty flash.

My advice is still to follow the steps listed in post 23

I wouldn't ask for your advice if I wasn't going to follow it. I was asking to be sure of exactly what process I need to do to get that clean start. I will be flashing a different Rom, but I'll be doing it clean. I just wanted some reassurance that I had the right steps down for backing everything up and then restoring said backup. I apologize for the confusion.

I wouldn't ask for your advice if I wasn't going to follow it. I was asking to be sure of exactly what process I need to do to get that clean start. I will be flashing a different Rom, but I'll be doing it clean. I just wanted some reassurance that I had the right steps down for backing everything up and then restoring said backup. I apologize for the confusion.

Well,sounds to me like you've gotten your own plan. I recomend you run an ruu,not flash a new rom. Just follow the steps above (post 23)

Hey Scotty, I'm curious on some stuff man. And I wanted to ask this on the thread I started and not take over someone else's. Also, I think asking these things will possibly help me understand to at least a very small extent how things work in the code world for Rom's. So I wanted to know why for example a RUU is required for the flashing of a set of radio's,kernel's, and frimware? I know some don't require it and are just easily flashed over in recovery. I also don't remember at this moment or the other night when I downloaded RUU where in my ADB directory to place such things so that when I run the RUU it will work right. It's been a really long time since I've used the program. In fact I think I only had to use it on my Rzr Maxx. Anyways, that's where I'm at right now. If there is an easy link for you to throw my way that would be awesome. I've looked and I'm not finding the specific information that I'm looking for at the moment.

On a side note, I got my Verizon bill yesterday and they are giving me $25 off each upgradable line towards an upgrade. To bad my financial situation isn't on the plus side at the moment because of being on a repayment plan which prevents my changing my plan or upgrading. Kind of a big bummer. :( Being out of work off an on last year really hurt the bank account in the way of bills. Sorry just venting a little.

Ok, so I directed that last post to Scotty. Obviously you are busy Scotty. So please, anyone else I open the floor for answers on this.

Hey Scotty, I'm curious on some stuff man. And I wanted to ask this on the thread I started and not take over someone else's. Also, I think asking these things will possibly help me understand to at least a very small extent how things work in the code world for Rom's. So I wanted to know why for example a RUU is required for the flashing of a set of radio's,kernel's, and frimware? I know some don't require it and are just easily flashed over in recovery. I also don't remember at this moment or the other night when I downloaded RUU where in my ADB directory to place such things so that when I run the RUU it will work right. It's been a really long time since I've used the program. In fact I think I only had to use it on my Rzr Maxx. Anyways, that's where I'm at right now. If there is an easy link for you to throw my way that would be awesome. I've looked and I'm not finding the specific information that I'm looking for at the moment.

On a side note, I got my Verizon bill yesterday and they are giving me $25 off each upgradable line towards an upgrade. To bad my financial situation isn't on the plus side at the moment because of being on a repayment plan which prevents my changing my plan or upgrading. Kind of a big bummer. :( Being out of work off an on last year really hurt the bank account in the way of bills. Sorry just venting a little.

Back in the old days phones didn't boot from the emmc and may have barely had over half a dozen partitions,so it was no big deal to swap out the radio. This is where the mentality comes from that causes folks to want to do it. The demand causes devs to pack radios up into a recovery flashable file. However,this does not mean its a good idea. Phones have become considerably more complicated,and contain 2-3 times the amount of partitions,containing firmware that must match and work together for optimal performance. Changing parts of the firmware without changing it all does not likely improve anything. Best case firmware incompatibilities don't hurt anything,but in a worse case,could cause the processor to put itself into a "do not boot"mode,wich is a very affective,unrecoverable via conventional means,won't turn on hard brick. :eek:

You can't simply flash the newest firmware package,because it is not a complete set. When there is an ota,only parts are replaced,so you must take each update in order to arrive at the most current combination.

You do not need to put the ruu anywhere special to run it. Just somewhere easy to find. Then right click and run the utility as admin if your version of windows permits that.

Sorry for the late reply,there hasn't been much computer time this weekend :(

Not a big deal Scotty, I noticed in a different thread that you were low on computer time so when you didn't respond right away I opened the question up to everyone. And what do you mean by putting the file anywhere? If I go with flashing the firmware and everything thru the ruu method, I'm reading that it has to be in a certain place. I might have asked this before but if I run the ruu by itself I'll end up back at stock right? Still rooted or just s-off?

Not a big deal Scotty, I noticed in a different thread that you were low on computer time so when you didn't respond right away I opened the question up to everyone. And what do you mean by putting the file anywhere? If I go with flashing the firmware and everything thru the ruu method, I'm reading that it has to be in a certain place. I might have asked this before but if I run the ruu by itself I'll end up back at stock right? Still rooted or just s-off?

if you used the link i provided,the ruu that you downloaded is an application that you run on your PC. it does not need to be in a certain place. it can be in your downloads folder,your desktop,or wherever. the important thing is to run as adminstrator if you can. (older windows versions may not allow this- in wich case just run the utility).

im not quite sure how else to explain it.

you are prolly confunsing running this ruu application(an application will have an extension of .exe) with installing a zip file(file extension of .zip) with fastboot/ruu mode. zip files must be in your adb directory,and installed in this manner:
if youre working with a booted,operational phone,you can flsh the file in the following manner:

-open a cmd window

-change to adb/fastboot directory
cd c:\foldername
(cd c:\mini-adb if youve used any of my guides :))

-place the zip file you want to flash into adb/fastboot directory

-enable usb debug,disable fastboot,plug in phone

-check for connectivity
adb devices (should return serial number)

-boot to fastboot
adb reboot bootloader

-check for connectivity again
fastboot devices

-flash the file
fastboot erase cache

fastboto oem rebootRUU (will put you in ruu mode,black screen silver htc letters)

fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip (will send and flash the file. dont interupt it while the cmd window shows its writinging,and the green status bar is moving on the phone screen)

*sometimes a file will fail with a pre-update error. this is normal,just enter again:
fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip
and this time it will finish

-when you get "finished" and "OK"
fastboot reboot-bootloader (takes you back to fastboot)

-reboot back to the OS
fastbooot reboot

you can use this if you dont have an operational phone as well. you just need to manually put the phone in fastboot(select from hboot menu) then skip the "adb" commands and start with fastboot devices

however,as i said, this is not what youre doing with the .exe utility

yes,run the utility and you will end up as stock,but with s off. once the phone is done with OTAs,and youve given it a day or 2 to ensure proper function of your sim card,you can re-install a recovery,then add superuser,or flash your rom of choice.

i would avoid your normal detailed setup until youve gotten past the sim issue and either flashed your rom,or added superuser to run rooted stock. no point in doing it twice a couple days apart,plus if you go to a vzw store to get a new sim,they may want to do a factory reset before theyll give you a new one.

hope that clears it up. :)

OK, so running the RUU once I plug my phone into the laptop will put it back to stock non rooted but with s-off. I got that. What I'm talking about is if I go stock rooted and want to use Santod's OTA updated radios and firmware. He states you have to put it in a certain place. That's what I was asking about. It's been so long since I've used anything like adb and remembering where to put stuff so that I don't end up bricking my phone is troubling. lol I'll mess with this maybe tonight or tomorrow after work. I don't think I'll have time after work today.

For the record.....I have an OCD with my phone and how it is set up. It will be almost impossible to NOT set it up back to the way it was.

Here's one for you guys. Can I upload my backup file(s) of my apps to Google Drive? And if so how would I do so?
sorry,not sure on this one.

i would think any apps that create backup files would just create them on your internal storage,so you could copy them to your pc for safe keeping,or somehow share them with google drive. hopefully someone will have some more info on google drive.

OK, so running the RUU once I plug my phone into the laptop will put it back to stock non rooted but with s-off. I got that. What I'm talking about is if I go stock rooted and want to use Santod's OTA updated radios and firmware. He states you have to put it in a certain place. That's what I was asking about. It's been so long since I've used anything like adb and remembering where to put stuff so that I don't end up bricking my phone is troubling. lol I'll mess with this maybe tonight or tomorrow after work. I don't think I'll have time after work today.
santods firmware file will installed as described in the hide box in post 36 above. i.e.,you will put it into your adb/fastboot directory and run the commands.

keep in mind,that if you go the ruu/ota to current method,you wont need santods firmware,as the phone will naturally OTA to it.

For the record.....I have an OCD with my phone and how it is set up. It will be almost impossible to NOT set it up back to the way it was.
i know you do. but your causing yourself alot of extra work for just a couple days. this is your biggest issue,and what has gotten you into the pickle that youre in,and it keeps you from doing proper wipes and having a correctly working phone.

in the end,its up to you wether you want to reset up twice in a couple day period,dirty flash,or wait it out. all i can do is offer my 2 cents. ;)

I don't want to share my backup on Google drive, but I guess that's what it's called. Anyways I suppose I was looking at that as a way to make space on my phone until I can do the RUU and flash. I spoke to someone in the Verizon Executive office this morning and they claim that even they can't override the system and allow me to upgrade with a balance on my account. Anyways enough about that.

Scotty you are partially right with saying my OCD is what has gotten me where I'm at. It has affected how I mess with my phone, but not so much that it takes over. And your 2 cents in most cases is worth about $50. Now that's just my opinion but you really help me out a lot and I really appreciate it so very much.

OK, so I hope this is my last question until I do this whole RUU and what not but I have always had issues with making sure my contacts were saved and things like that. Now this is a very specific thing that I deal with, with every HTC phone as well as with this phone when I mod it and flash a rom. I have contacts that I recently added, however I'm almost certain that if I reset my phone, those contacts would not remain on my phone. So how do I make sure with total certainty that I have all my contacts saved?? As silly of a question as this is I'm sure everyone has had this problem at some point or another with whatever phone. Mine just happens to be with HTC phones. I don't get it but hey I guess everyone has their curve ball that they keep missing.

I don't want to share my backup on Google drive
:confused:

you said this above:
Here's one for you guys. Can I upload my backup file(s) of my apps to Google Drive? And if so how would I do so?
wich i tried to answer. so now youre saying you dont want to upload to google drive so im confused. as i also said above,you should be able to move app backup files to your pc for safe keeping if youve now decided you dont want them on google drive.

OK, so I hope this is my last question until I do this whole RUU and what not but I have always had issues with making sure my contacts were saved and things like that. Now this is a very specific thing that I deal with, with every HTC phone as well as with this phone when I mod it and flash a rom. I have contacts that I recently added, however I'm almost certain that if I reset my phone, those contacts would not remain on my phone. So how do I make sure with total certainty that I have all my contacts saved?? As silly of a question as this is I'm sure everyone has had this problem at some point or another with whatever phone. Mine just happens to be with HTC phones. I don't get it but hey I guess everyone has their curve ball that they keep missing.

you just need to go thru your contacts and make sure that they are all google contacts,and not phone contacts. google contacts will be automatically synced back to the phone during setup when you sign back into google.

When it was stated to "share" with Google drive. I took that as making it view-able to the public. I'm guessing that's not the case. I knew with pictures it wasn't but with it being a different file type I thought...yeah you get it. LOL OK I'll go thru my contacts and make sure everyone important is under google contacts.

You know it's strange, I can go almost a week without the sim card problem, and then have it happen 5 times in one day. I need to get this taken care of I guess. (sigh) Looks like I'm taking care of it this weekend finally. lol

I'm taking back over my thread. Rather than starting a new thread I'll just continue off of this one. Hope you guys don't mind. So, my phone despite some popular opinion has succom to the dreaded Sim card error. I even tried a new Sim card. A brand new one, never activated. And for one day it was good. After that I was lucky to send a text it was so bad. Now, I contacted Verizon. They contacted HTC for me, connected me to them and they are sending me a new Sim card tray. While I don't mind that, the response from could be seen as expected. I wasn't happy with the further response on if the new tray doesn't solve the problem. HTC told me they would need my phone sent in for repair. For me that's not an option because right now I use my phone to make calls everyday all day for work. So we shall see once the tray gets here I suppose. Any thoughts or opinions?

Back
Top Bottom