• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wipe required before Nand Restore?

erisuser1

Android Expert
This morning, just before AF went down, someone asked the question:

"Do I need to perform a "Wipe ... data/factory reset" before I perform a Nandroid restore?"

(Sorry, I don't remember what user posted that question; and it looks like we lost about 1.5 days worth of postings)

In any event, the answer is "No."; the Nandroid restore operation (in the Amon_RA recovery) wipes all the relevant partitions before it begins the restore operation in each one. Doing a wipe won't hurt anything though.

eu1

eu1,

Thank you for posting a thread regarding this. Seen this question pop-up a few times and you've probably figured-out that there might be folks out there doing this without knowing that its not necessary.

I think it was cmotion that posed the question...perhaps he'll see this thread.

Hopefully they'll get the posts recovered / restored...it would suck if they didn't. Wish there was a status page on phandroid to let us know what is going on, etc.

Thanks again.

This morning, just before AF went down, someone asked the question:

"Do I need to perform a "Wipe ... data/factory reset" before I perform a Nandroid restore?"

(Sorry, I don't remember what user posted that question; and it looks like we lost about 1.5 days worth of postings)

In any event, the answer is "No."; the Nandroid restore operation (in the Amon_RA recovery) wipes all the relevant partitions before it begins the restore operation in each one. Doing a wipe won't hurt anything though.

eu1

Great point for reference, eu1. :)

I'm actually still seeing squirrely behavior on the site (this thread was looping on loading adds when I clicked on Frisco's recent post flag)...also, phandroid.com proper itself is now down for maintenence.

Also, this was pretty funny: there were ads for this thread a little bit ago espousing the merits of data recovery services :eek: :D :) -- how funny is that!?

Yeah, it was me who asked the question. Thanks eu1 and Scary for the responses. I did a wipe the first time, but haven't since. Good info to know. Wouldn't want to waste precious time wiping things when I could be exploring new Roms :)

Yeah, it was me who asked the question. Thanks eu1 and Scary for the responses. I did a wipe the first time, but haven't since. Good info to know. Wouldn't want to waste precious time wiping things when I could be exploring new Roms :)

Whoah! Hold on there!

Just to avoid any possible confusion, "no wipe required" applies ONLY to RESTORING Nandroid backups, not to flashing a new ROM!

In the case of flashing a ROM from a .zip file on the SD card, you (almost) ALWAYS need to perform a wipe.

eu1

Back
Top Bottom