• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WMA music player for Triumph?

ecarlson

It seems the Triumph doesn't include codecs for playing WMA files (WMA files worked fine on my Optimus V, in all music players).

What free music players have built WMA support? I'm especially looking for a player that can play from folders and not (just) from playlists.

Or, alternatively, is there a free WMA codec I can install on the Triumph so I can play WMA's in any music player?

Triumph is supposed to support WMA, according to moto. I don't have any on here to test, but I'll check it out tomorrow.

I actually have my whole library in .wma format. It sounds better than mp3 and is half the size.
Supposedly Google had to drop support for wma at Microsoft's request sometime in 2010, so Android doesn't natively support it anymore.
After looking into every player on the market that says they support .wma, the only one, it seems, is PowerAmp. They have a week free trial and then you upgrade to the Pro version for about $5. It was the first purchase I ever made on Android, and it's definitely been worth it.
And yes, it plays from folders. And if you don't have the album cover, it will find it for you and install it.

TTPod Music Player v2.8.1 also has built-in support for WMA, and they did have a free version on the Market back on March 1, 2012 (that's when I installed it on my now-dead Triumph -- I hope that's not what killed my phone, since it died the next day -- not likely.), but now they only have a pay version and a non-US version.

Today I found another source for the free version of TTPod, and I now have it installed on my new Triump and playing WMA files, but I was hoping there were other free ways to play WMA's.

I ripped my library to .flac and keep it stored on a seperate hard drive. I keep a COPY of my library at high bitrate mp3 for my devices. (phone, tablet, PCs)

been growing it for awhile, the whole thing doesn't fit on any one device anymore.

I use MP3 becuase its almost universally supported. Never run into the OPs problem.

I was going through this just yesterday. I took the kids to the library yesterday and ended up getting a digital download of an audiobook. The wma with dma would not play on my phone so I just used Super to encode it as an mp3 and it works great now in mort player. Sucks to have the extra step of re-encoding it but on the bright side it will not work past the 10 day checkout also.

I ripped my library to .flac and keep it stored on a seperate hard drive. I keep a COPY of my library at high bitrate mp3 for my devices. (phone, tablet, PCs)

been growing it for awhile, the whole thing doesn't fit on any one device anymore.

I use MP3 becuase its almost universally supported. Never run into the OPs problem.

Yeah, that's what I do too.

people use .wma??

Practically all the audiobooks in our library is in protected wma, and the Overdrive program that is available to transfer from a PC to a portable device rejects the Maxx. I assumed it's a lost cause trying to play them - do the solutions mentioned work for this sort of file?

I actually have my whole library in .wma format. It sounds better than mp3 and is half the size.
Supposedly Google had to drop support for wma at Microsoft's request sometime in 2010, so Android doesn't natively support it anymore.
After looking into every player on the market that says they support .wma, the only one, it seems, is PowerAmp. They have a week free trial and then you upgrade to the Pro version for about $5. It was the first purchase I ever made on Android, and it's definitely been worth it.
And yes, it plays from folders. And if you don't have the album cover, it will find it for you and install it.

That's how I have my library set up (WMA's) and I use PowerAmp. I'm very happy with it. Once I set it up to sort the the music as files does a very good job

Back
Top Bottom