• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Worth Installing GlazedJellyBeanV1.1.2 ?

miseryguts

Well-Known Member
I'm currently on a stock root, I have this rom on my SD but am a bit nervous as I've heard installing roms can knacker your unit if you screw something up (I've backed up stock.. I think..random files in clockworkmod folder)
Anyway.. Is it worth installing, has anyone here done it, what improvements/advantages does it have over a stock rooted device & is there anything I should be aware of as I'm a complete novice.

Thanks.
 
Hey misery, I went ahead and moved this to the All Things Root section. Thanks for understanding. :)
 
You said you've made a nandroid backup using cwm? Good. It may be overkill but I like to backup all my apps using titanium backup pro. When you have well over a hundred apps it makes it easier to restore them after you flash a new rom.

When you flash a new rom you'll want to do a full wipe/factory reset - this is where the titanium backup of apps comes in handy. If you are updating to a newer version of the same rom you usually don't have to do a full wipe, just cache/dalvik cache.

If something goes wrong there is lots of help available, either on this forum or the rom specific forum. I've been flashing rom's for over a year and a half on my nook color, six months on my phone and since the first day I've had the Nexus 7. Just two days ago I ran into a situation for the first time where I had an endless boot loop and couldn't get into recovery - things looked grim. But I looked around, found Wugs Nexus Root Toolkit - [Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.5.3 [Updated 8/18/12] - xda-developers , and was able to get her back to life.

With proper backups and following instructions it's a very safe process and if something unusual does go wrong, there are lots of very smart people out there who can help.

A word of warning, once you start flashing, you won't be able to stop....
 
I tried this ROM yesterday, my first custom ROM. Restored my Android back to stock rooted, had some issues. It's good, but not quite ready. I'll post my comments in the forum thread on xda.

Rootbrain
 
I tried this ROM yesterday, my first custom ROM. Restored my Android back to stock rooted, had some issues. It's good, but not quite ready. I'll post my comments in the forum thread on xda.

Rootbrain

Thanks for the heads up.. think I'll wait as I don't have a clue what I'm doing.
 
Don't worry about roms too soon. I have a clue what I'm doing but I'm not getting into it yet either. There's generally not much benefit over stock root so imo it can be a fun gimmick but usually not worth the hassle.
 
Back
Top Bottom