• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root xtrROM 5.0 beta available now!

cmotion

Hey everyone, this was released today, for anyone who might be interested:

[ROM-BETA][GPL] xtrROM5.0 odex,cache2cache,apps2sd,jit,lwp,oc[1/23/2011]

I am definitely a huge fan of zach's ROMs and they have been my staple for a while now. I have briefly tried out the various Froyo's that have come out, but always end up back at xtr for the speed and stability. Here's the Change Log from zach:

• removed LauncherPro (just get it form the market)
  • odexed the .apk files in /system/framework and /system/apps to free up even more internal memory (excluded just a few such as google maps so they can still update from the market)
  • Added a backup script that will backup your user settings values and restore them during install if you are coming from a previous version of xtrROM; Basically this saves the vaues you have set using Gscripts so that you do not have to reset them...
  • new boot animation (old one took up to much space which I needed for system app .odex files)
  • added the new OpenGLES 1.1 library
  • replaced the DroidX keyboard with the standard vanilla ASOP as it has a better built in user dictionary
  • a few theme improvements
  • new market
  • removed wireless tether and quick boot as you can get from the market

I had a question for anyone more knowledgeable than myself on the second point, about "odexed the .apk files...." when he says "(excluding just a few such as google maps so they can update from the market)" does that mean other applications will not update? Anyway, been running this ROM for a day, and whether it's the ROM itself or the fact that I did a clean wipe, my phone's running smooth as ever! It also did free up a good amount of internal space as well. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

On the statement about your phone running smoother then ever, it can be the fact that you did a wipe and install. I have been running Nonsensikal 12.5 for the past few months and I love so many things about froyo. I did have a few issues that I just dealt with, just because i loved so many things about the rom. When I saw that XtrRom 5.0 beta was out I just had to try it. My last XtrRom was 4.6, so it has been a while.
The first thing I have noticed is that Gmail updates like it should, on Nonsensikal 12.5 it didn't, I had to manualy do it. Now one thing I do miss is track ball notification, had it on 12.5 dont see it now on 5.0. I won't complain because when my phone screen goes to sleep while on speaker phone I can turn the screen back on without losing the call. 12.5 had that issue.
I do recommend turning off animations and speeding up the opening speed and fling, it makes just a slit difference, but in my opinion it is a crisper feel to the transition.

This is FAST and STABLE! I didn't think you could get faster than FroShedYo but... I think I'm going to stick with this, even though it's 2.1.

I had a question for anyone more knowledgeable than myself on the second point, about "odexed the .apk files...." when he says "(excluding just a few such as google maps so they can update from the market)" does that mean other applications will not update?

It used to be that Google's apps were not updated until there was an update to the entire Android build, but since 2.1 released Google has decided to put updates to some of their apps in the market. I believe that only a small number of them (Maps, the market itself, perhaps there are more) are available to 2.1 users. Gmail and Google Voice Actions are updates only available in 2.2 and later.

I suspect that's what this means.

I'm not too fond of the keyboard. How would one go about changing it? Otherwise I'm completely content with this Rom. Awesome job on it!!

I'm just curious - does anybody use autokiller with this rom? I am right now but from the description I'm reading, it may not really be necessary.

I haven't used AutoKiller with any of Zach's ROMs, they never seem to need any help to run better.

I'm just curious - does anybody use autokiller with this rom? I am right now but from the description I'm reading, it may not really be necessary.

I have used it with xtrSENSE myself - it does make the phone feel faster - but it's actually not necessary. The ROM includes an app called Gscript and a number of script files that you can use to configure some aspects of Android, including overclocking, etc.

Anyway, you'd launch GScript, press menu, choose to load a file, and then load one of these, which match Autokiller's different presets:

set_memory_balanced
set_memory_strict

(There is also set_memory_stock if you want to go back.)

Then you save the file - it will be listed on the first screen of Gscript - and then tap it to run the file and change the settings. Yes, GScript is a bit complicated, but it does save installing Autokiller.

I prefer to use Balanced myself.

love xtr but I don't see much reason to upgrade. 4.5.x feels 'final' to me (unless he can make GV faster somehow)

Flashed the ROM however whenever I try to Accounts and Sync, the phone reboots. Any ideas? I am rooted, was running KaosFroyo V38 however I have to go to a 2.1 build because of the phone call cutting out issue with 2.2 ROM's. I did the wipes and flashed as instructed..

**UPDATE** Did a factory reset and now its good. HOWEVER:

Whats the deal with the market? I do a search for an app and I have to scroll and scroll to find it.

Not sure what you are talking about. It is the new market and I havent seen any issues other then a few FC's right after the flash.

Not sure what you are talking about. It is the new market and I havent seen any issues other then a few FC's right after the flash.

Here's an example.. I searched for Barcode Scanner.. You would think it would be right at the top. Nope, buried down the list.. And thats just one app.. It seems you have to search for an exact search term in order for it to show.. Another example.. Battstatt.. only way I found it was searching for Battstatt exactly..

Here's an example.. I searched for Barcode Scanner.. You would think it would be right at the top. Nope, buried down the list.. And thats just one app.. It seems you have to search for an exact search term in order for it to show.. Another example.. Battstatt.. only way I found it was searching for Battstatt exactly..

This seems standard operating procedure for the Android Market. Try searching for ADW (or even ADW Launcher) if you want to install the launcher - the last that I tried it, the actual launcher is a needle buried in a haystack of ADW themes.

Considering that it's Google who wrote Android and created the market, it's a bit odd that searching it is so poor.

I checked that again last night and your right, its not an exact search. I guess they haven't updated the system, just made it look nice.

I notice when I get a text or e-mail, it no longer displays an actual number for number of new texts, etc. Is that something I can turn on somewhere, or is that because I'm no longer running sense?

I notice when I get a text or e-mail, it no longer displays an actual number for number of new texts, etc. Is that something I can turn on somewhere, or is that because I'm no longer running sense?

That is a Sense feature. However, LauncherPro (it may be LauncherPro Plus), if you put messaging in your dock, has the option to show the number of unread messages (it can also do this with Gmail and missed calls.) In LP, menu->preferences, dock settings, check the ones that you want unread counts on.

That is a Sense feature. However, LauncherPro (it may be LauncherPro Plus), if you put messaging in your dock, has the option to show the number of unread messages (it can also do this with Gmail and missed calls.) In LP, menu->preferences, dock settings, check the ones that you want unread counts on.

Perfect. I loaded that (the Plus version) yesterday, but haven't fully explored it yet.

THANKS !!

The only issue with that is that the number of unread text messages tends not to go down unless you launch with the actual dock icon. If you start messaging another way - say, you read the message from a notification - it either never updates the unread number, or it takes a while - I can't remember which.

Gmail unread works perfectly, though.

After flashing the ROM right now, it won't let me connect to google?! Says that it may be a temporary problem or that my phone may not be compatible? Anyone have ANY idea why???

Just to ask the question, did you do a data wipe/factory reset and wipe Dalvik cache before flashing the ROM?

It can connect to WiFi, but have an "X" through the mobile network area. And with WiFi, it still won't let me connect to Google to set up account.

I'm trying to re-flash the rom now, otherwise, I'll just load my nand and go back to where I was at before this mess.

Update: Nope, still didn't let me sign in. Any ideas??

Back
Top Bottom