• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Yet another GPS Question - GPS Test prior to tracking?

qwertyaas

Android Enthusiast
I tracked my ride home from work yesterday and lunchtime walk on GPS. Here is what I noticed on my phone at least.

If I load GPS Test first - it locks on sattelites within seconds and tracked my ride and walk perfectly. If I just loaded Google Maps without GPS Test, it wouldn't even locate me.

Isn't that a little... odd? :confused:
 
I've noticed that I can get a lock very quickly in AT&T maps when google maps can't even locate me.

So try running AT&T maps next time and see what happens.
 
I found the same thing a week or two ago that Runkeeper (free version) would do the same thing, i.e., kick start the GPS going. After that, other GPS programs worked fine. I have tracked about 6 rides with Runkeeper, and it always has found a lock.

Brian
 
Wow... I just tried this and it worked perfectly. I loaded GPS Test first and then launched Maps and it tracked my walk around my work campus.

My GPS is now useful! thanks
 
I used this same fix ever since I got my phone and it worked perfectly, however after flashing the overclock kernel from XDA, the GPS status app no longer worked, I couldnt get a lock, etc. I tried this fix here and it worked like a charm. Now I don't need any apps in the background, I get a lock in seconds. Only thing I noticed about the instructions however was that the first time I made the changes and rebooted, it didnt work so I thought the fix was junk, but when I went back into the settings, it had not saved them and I was still on stock settings. The second time I entered the new settings, I hit "get position test" and let it run for a couple secs before backing out and rebooting. This seemed to make the difference, saved settings and GPS works like it should have out of the box. Hope this helps!

Quick fix for GPS issues on your new Samsung Galaxy S series phone | Android Central
 
thanks for the links. I have been weary of going in and changing GPS settings on my phone which is why I had not tried any of the "fixes".

However, this is the first time I had heard of launching another app before running Maps as a work around. I feel much more comfortable doing this than changing phone settings.
 
I just tried this and it seems to work... when nothing else has up to this point.
So my server is the google server with port 7276... (from the other posts) not sure if that matters or not...

Any way, installed GPS test and it locked on then ran the latest version of Google maps and it locked on with in a few seconds and pretty much showed me sitting on my couch or within 5 feet. Tried it a few more times and it kept working.

Tomorrow will be real test when driving.

Anybody else?

thanks Kevin
 
I did this for my Captivate and it didn't work. I couldn't get a lock indoors no matter what. I then put the settings back to default. I unticked the use wireless and left just Satellite's ticked. I went outside and ran the GPS Status app mentioned somewhere else I read about. It took about 30 seconds and I got a lock. I then tried google maps and it locked on to my house exactly. I went inside and fired up google maps and it now locks on in a few seconds every time. Before I could never get a lock indoors. It's quirky but at least it now works...
 
Yes, same for me... sorry I forgot to mention that above... nothing at first on the couch... went outside and it took a bit the first time... but that happens on new phone the first time from what I remember??

After that it locked on in seconds in the house and out, after the first time.
 
Back
Top Bottom