• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"You need to format this drive" - after doing the backup?

CrackBaby

Android Enthusiast
I got a message from my PC saying I need to format my phone's sdcard.

First I rooted my phone using Atmazzz's guide. Next, I followed the instructions within the guide to also do a backup (CWM I think). Then I rebooted the phone and plugged it into my PC. At that point I got a message on my PC saying that I should format the drive. Thoughts on this? I have transferred a copy of the backup folder onto my PC. The sdcard's contents don't seem unusual to me. I'm just wondering why I got that message to reformat all of a sudden.

I got a message from my PC saying I need to format my phone's sdcard.

First I rooted my phone using Atmazzz's guide. Next, I followed the instructions within the guide to also do a backup (CWM I think). Then I rebooted the phone and plugged it into my PC. At that point I got a message on my PC saying that I should format the drive. Thoughts on this? I have transferred a copy of the backup folder onto my PC. The sdcard's contents don't seem unusual to me. I'm just wondering why I got that message to reformat all of a sudden.

Hi CrackBaby. I'm not sure why that would come up. I've never seen it. :confused: Do you have a CWM/backup folder on your external sd card? Can you see the files on the sd card ok from your phone and your computer?

Hi CrackBaby. I'm not sure why that would come up. I've never seen it. :confused: Do you have a CWM/backup folder on your external sd card? Can you see the files on the sd card ok from your phone and your computer?

Hi Atmazzz. The answer is yes to both of your questions. :) Whew.

I haven't seen the warning/error message since then. It must have been a fluke. I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't signaling a known problem.

Now I'm downloading the darkside super wipe and super cache. :)

Hi Atmazzz. The answer is yes to both of your questions. :) Whew.

I haven't seen the warning/error message since then. It must have been a fluke. I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't signaling a known problem.

Now I'm downloading the darkside super wipe and super cache. :)

Yeah, maybe a fluke. Its not something known to me anyway.

Did you check to make sure you have root with something like Titanium backup or root checker?

Have fun! :)

Did you check to make sure you have root with something like TitaniumBackup

Yep, downloaded Titanium Backup from the playstore, ran it and followed Petrah's guide for a TiBu -- I'm not sure whether I did it right because I didn't download the zipsigner file until after I'd done one out of the three steps for the backups. Since I'm running gingerbread right now, are these backups only for gingerbread, or will they also work on jellybean?

I did the CWM nandroid backup, too, and have copied that zip file to my PC.

Yep, downloaded Titanium Backup from the playstore, ran it and followed Petrah's guide for a TiBu -- I'm not sure whether I did it right because I didn't download the zipsigner file until after I'd done one out of the three steps for the backups. Since I'm running gingerbread right now, are these backups only for gingerbread, or will they also work on jellybean?

I did the CWM nandroid backup, too, and have copied that zip file to my PC.

I've never done the zipsigner thing. I just use Titanium to restore what apps I want. If you mean the backup for your apps, you may have some that won't work on Jellybean. I have a few that work in ICS but didn't in Jellybean on my Nexus 7.

WTG on the nandroid. :congrats: It might save your life one day. :D If you try a custom rom and want to go back to your rooted stock, just restore the backup and your apps will still be there.

If you decide to try the TWRP recovery, do another backup with it.

Back
Top Bottom