• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ZTE U960 ROM Discussion

As I understand, this FW is not for recovery installation and can be uploaded into device via MultiDownloader. Can anyone to repack it for usual CWM recovery installation or simply to translate from Chinese upgrade Manual and MultiDownloader interface. Can't understand what to do :D ... Thanks.

Probertly won't be long until there will be a (pre rooted) .zip update out there ;)

I have uploaded 2B06 til 4shared

Reactions: The Solutor
Upvote 0
Probertly won't be long until there will be a (pre rooted) .zip update out there ;)

I have uploaded 2B06 til 4shared

Thanks to both emil and sergmarin.

I tried it.

It lacks the files you added later (I've used the ones taken from B03) and it lacks also the spreadstrum baseband, only the qualcomm one is present (I've used the one included with a similarly packaged B03.

The ROM is based on android 2.3.5, and the known exploits aren't helpful, not a biggie, given we have a working recovery.

But, my phone ended with a not working SIM1. I guessed was because the baseband was not on par with the ROM, but it's not the case.

I restored both the SP baseband and the previous ROM and the SIM1 is still not working.

I guess something on the baseband or on the ROM itself simlocked the SIM1, and now I have to see what I can do to go back

I'll keep you informed

Upvote 0
hello my friend out there, im quite new here and looking to buy a dual sim phones with support by android. Before this im only nokia fan. Hopefully anyone out there can give me favour to assict me if im buying U960. Here is my question, since a lot of pro n con to this phone. Any checklist to make sure this phone is correctly no bug fix or to get any stable phone with android application ?
Like below step ?
1. first need to root or anyelse ?
2. Check software version ?
step by step
3. Check rom stability ?
like suitor said if B13 quite stable but how to check n how to upgrade ?
4. check application ?

Tq and very2 appreciate.

Upvote 0
I guess something on the baseband or on the rom itself simlocked the SIM1, and now I have to see what I can do to go back

I'll keep you informed

As promised I inform you about what's going on.

Was not a simlock problem simply the IMEI number was lost.

To restore it the simpler way is trough the dialpad with the code

*983*4634 #

unfortunately that code doesn't work on recent ROMs so a b10 or a b08 must be flashed to fix the problem.

Then you can flash back whatever ROM/backup you want

Reactions: hmvs and sergmarin
Upvote 0
For the record looks like the USSD codes on SIM1 are fixed on 2B06 (I tested them only on vodafone italy SIM)
Did you find other improvements with the 2B06 ? For example does the new FW improve the sound when using headphone ? With B03 baseband the volume is very low...

On the official ZTE website now they have an "one-click-upgrade" tool for our phone. ZTE-T U960 - ???? (Direct link for the download http://www.zte.com.cn/cndata/mobile/software/201205/P020120514350519797842.zip)

Do you think it can be used also on phone running catty's rom 1.5.1 and the overclocked kernel ?

Reactions: weimerd
Upvote 0
Hi there!

I'm reading here since weeks as I'm troubling with my U960 from etotalk a while now. Still SIM1 will not work with my o2 sim card (contract card, all other sim cards are working). I even ordered a new sim card that is also not working in sim1.

I installed almost all roms from here and also different chinese once. I tried all tricks but nothing helped. So now I hope to get 2B06 running in order to check if this could help.

Actually I downloaded the mentioned files with new rom and baseband from 4shared but are too stupid to understand how to flash it.

As I see some were already successfull in it. So could you be so kind and send a short instruction for how to flash it?
Of course an update-zip for CWM would be more helpful but as long as nobody took the time to make a new ROM I would follow the instruction in order to get a running system.

I don't have problems with beta testing so --> :)

Upvote 0
Hey guys!

I don't know why but recovery is not working for me.
I have touble to get into recovery mode. When i hold power and Volume+ button during start it shows (Original?) G3-logo and then nothing happens. Even if i continue to hold both buttons it starts(vibrate)-shows logo-black screen?-starts(vibrate)-shows logo...and so on.

I now tried to flash solutors B13 rom (renamed to update.zip) via settings/about/System updates but no luck again. It starts, reboots the phone into recovery mode (why is this working from here and not if i try to do it manually?), then i do get a screen with statements:

1. finding update package...
  2. opening update package...
  3. verifying update package...
  4. E: signature verification failed
  5. Installation aborted.
  6. Rebooting...
And i end up with my old chinese rom which i want to replace...

Upvote 0
Hey guys!

I have touble to get into recovery mode. When i hold power and Volume+ button during start it shows (Original?) G3-logo and then nothing happens. Even if i continue to hold both buttons it starts(vibrate)-shows logo-black screen?-starts(vibrate)-shows logo...and so on.

I now tried to flash solutors B13 rom (renamed to update.zip) via settings/about/System updates but no luck again. It starts, reboots the phone into recovery mode (why is this working from here and not if i try to do it manually?), then i do get a screen with statements:

1. finding update package...
  2. opening update package...
  3. verifying update package...
  4. E: signature verification failed
  5. Installation aborted.
  6. Rebooting...
And i end up with my old chinese rom which i want to replace...

Are you 100% sure you have an U960?
You may install a new recovery system using recovery.img.apk.
From where did you get your phone?

Upvote 0
Did you find other improvements with the 2B06 ?

Looks like it's stable, no freezes or spontaneous reboots so far, this is a novelty for a stock rom :D

With B03 baseband the volume is very low...

I use a BT car stereo, so I can't tell

Do you think it can be used also on phone running catty's rom 1.5.1 and the overclocked kernel ?

I'm downloading it right now, haven't looked in to it yet

Upvote 0
Hi there!

I'm reading here since weeks as I'm troubling with my U960 from etotalk a while now. Still SIM1 will not work with my o2 sim card (contract card, all other sim cards are working). I even ordered a new sim card that is also not working in sim1.

I installed almost all roms from here and also different chinese once.

You have to update the baseband, not the ROM to fix this kind of problems.

Upvote 0
Hey guys!

You must

A) root the phone

B) check for working adb shell (there are a lot of tutorials about this)

C) flash the recovery.img (included in my rom from post #8)

D) get in to recovery with one of the known methods: volume+ and power (remove the battery if doesen't work), quickboot from the market, the command adb reboot recovery form PC's command prompt.

I now tried to flash solutors B13 rom (renamed to update.zip)

My rom is inside the 7zip package, you have to unpack it, you can't rename the whole 7zip to zip, and you cant use the stock updater because the signature is not from ZTE, this is the main point to have a custom recovery.

BTW, my rom is superseded from Catty's releases.

Reactions: bullifrank
Upvote 0
Have you tried to delete data from Google Play APP? (settings > applications > all> Google Play)

Also try to clean dalvik cache from recovery, and delete .android_secure from sd card
hello!
once again i tried the faster kernel from catty... but still after the things mentioned above i receive the error 492 in playstore!?

any more suggestionsn anyone?

Upvote 0
any more suggestionsn anyone?

delete all the related dbs from the application menu (or titanium backup), including google transport/download, drm storage services.

Clear cache and dalvik cache from recovery menu and see what happens.

In the worst case backup your system with titanium, wipe the phone and restore your applications, not the whole system.

Upvote 0
You have to update the baseband, not the ROM to fix this kind of problems.

I already tried this but sadly without getting SIM1 running :thinking:

That's why I'm heavily waiting for 2B06. I already downloaded 177852B0603ZTE-T_U960V1.0.0B06 but don't know how to flash as this is not an update package but looks like a dump of partitions.

Actually the download from the ZTE website is veeery slow with many connection errors. So I hope somebody will upload it somewhere else.

Upvote 0
I just felt encouraged and tried again the baseband update. Update went through as described but without changing the behavior of SIM1. I guess there are several other bugs inside that baseband version(2B03) that results the mentioned problem.

So if anybody could provide 2B06: I would LOVE to try it in order to get rid of my problems :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones