• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Tasker" is a BEAST! (in a good way)

So I feel like a complete idiot when using this app..I try and set things up and I do not get it at all..so I tried to do the turn on GPS with Navigation, turn down ringer when at work, turn of sound at night but alarm..how do I go about this? A step by step would be nice so I can get the hang of it.

Upvote 0
So I feel like a complete idiot when using this app..I try and set things up and I do not get it at all..so I tried to do the turn on GPS with Navigation, turn down ringer when at work, turn of sound at night but alarm..how do I go about this? A step by step would be nice so I can get the hang of it.

Check out the User Guide within the application, that should help. But basically you just set a condition by pressing "new" (like an application opening, or battery at certain level), then you can set actions with the plus sign in the bottom left for that particular case; you can also select what happens when this condition starts and stops. Hope this helps you get started.

Upvote 0
@Syv3n - I felt the same when I first used it, and I've been programming for 30 years! But today I feel that it's "clicked" for me. Give it time!

I would recommend you actually do these step-throughs on your phone, even if you delete them afterwards.
Step-Throughs & How-Tos - Tasker Wiki

That said, I do think there isn't a great deal of hold-my-hand, complete newbie type help out there, and that might mean that some people are giving up on Tasker. And if they do, that's a shame 'cos it's a great app :)

Rob

Reactions: ChiTownJim
Upvote 0
@Syv3n - I felt the same when I first used it, and I've been programming for 30 years! But today I feel that it's "clicked" for me. Give it time!

I would recommend you actually do these step-throughs on your phone, even if you delete them afterwards.
Step-Throughs & How-Tos - Tasker Wiki

That said, I do think there isn't a great deal of hold-my-hand, complete newbie type help out there, and that might mean that some people are giving up on Tasker. And if they do, that's a shame 'cos it's a great app :)

Rob

Thanks for the link I'm going to go through that some time while I'm at work this week. I'm picking stuff up on Tasker but there's only so much time and effort I'm willing to put in blindly learning something, this link looks like it could be a solid teacher to what I have a feeling to be a fantastic program

Upvote 0
I have a few profiles set up...

-10pm to 6am if the phone is plugged in, the phone goes to silent
-6am to 10pm the phone is on regular volume.
-if I am within 3km of work, my phone goes to vibrate..
-From 10pm to 6am, If my phone is silent, certain pre-arranged phone calls will ring through.. (Family, work)

-Damien

Upvote 0
Incoming call is a state, so the volume setting should automatically revert when the call is done. Haven't tried that one, however.

Yeah, I figured out that incoming call = in a call

So far I have it working so it turns off notifications while in a call. Great to get rid of the loud buzz noise people hear so they arent asking what that was every time

Upvote 0
I have a few profiles set up...

-10pm to 6am if the phone is plugged in, the phone goes to silent
-6am to 10pm the phone is on regular volume.
-if I am within 3km of work, my phone goes to vibrate..
-From 10pm to 6am, If my phone is silent, certain pre-arranged phone calls will ring through.. (Family, work)

-Damien

does the USB plugged state work for a wall charger as well?

Upvote 0
Anyone get the orientation state to work? I made it to where it should go to speakerphone while face down, but it's not working. . .

Edit: I got it to work. I think the screen has to be on in order for it to register orientation.

does the USB plugged state work for a wall charger as well?

You can make it where the state is plugged in (USB or wall).

Upvote 0
You have to select State -> Power -> Any

Ah interesting! Thanks :)

One other question. If you add two separate contexts to a profile, does it automatically assume it's an "and" statement?

For example, if I set tasker to turn my phone on silent and the contexts are 22:00-6:00 and power > any, both have to be true in order for it to activate, right?

Upvote 0
Ah interesting! Thanks :)

One other question. If you add two separate contexts to a profile, does it automatically assume it's an "and" statement?

For example, if I set tasker to turn my phone on silent and the contexts are 22:00-6:00 and power > any, both have to be true in order for it to activate, right?

Right.

Rob

Reactions: Asterdroid
Upvote 0
Ok. Another question. I've set up a profile to turn my phone silent when I'm sleeping. The contexts are 22:00-6:00 and state = Power > any.

It doesn't seem to be working. The profile works when I test it, though. Maybe it has something to do with the sleep settings? I'm hoping maybe you fine folks can lend me some insight.

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, but I'd check to see if there's another conflicting profile. Also, when the time comes, pull down the top and look under Tasker in the "Ongoing" section to see if the profile is even active. Sorry, but that's the only thing I've got right now.

Upvote 0
Ok. Another question. I've set up a profile to turn my phone silent when I'm sleeping. The contexts are 22:00-6:00 and state = Power > any.

It doesn't seem to be working. The profile works when I test it, though. Maybe it has something to do with the sleep settings? I'm hoping maybe you fine folks can lend me some insight.
This is how I have my task set up...

Ringer Volume set to 0
Vibrate on Notify off
Notification pulse set to off

-Damien

Upvote 0
So, here's my issue. I'm trying to configure tasker to automatically turn on wifi when I am in range of my home router, and turn it off when I'm out of range.

It turns on automatically, but it doesn't seem to turn off on it's on. Any suggestions? I do have an exit task set up to turn wifi off.

I had this issue with Location contexts. What worked for me was making sure I de-toggled the GPS on the map page, i.e. have Net showing green and GPS not.

Worth a try!

Rob

Upvote 0
Pent (the dev) has promised me some more capabilities around wallpaper in the future. For now, it's only an action (Set Wallpaper) and you need to supply a filename. I don't think you can really randomize this. You could have Tasker change your wallpaper to something different every day, for example, but you'd need to specify the individual wallpapers to use.
Good to know thanks. I wasn't looking forward to creating some program to parse through the folder to create a list, then reading the same list and picking one at random. Not even sure if it would be possible. Ideally I would like to do the same thing for ringtones on an incoming call, although that would be much more acceptable to have a set list of filenames. I'm going to keep toying with the beta version and probably buy the whole thing.

Upvote 0
How do you setup profiles to turn the brightness to max when plugged in, 50% when unplugged, and 10% when less than 20% of battery left?

New State -> Power -> Any
+ to add action -> Display -> Display Brightness -> Choose Level (out of 255)

New State -> Battery Level -> Choose Values
+ to add action -> Display -> Display Brightness -> Choose Level (out of 255)

Upvote 0
How do you setup profiles to turn the brightness to max when plugged in, 50% when unplugged, and 10% when less than 20% of battery left?

Appleaj has answered for the first and last. For the 50% I would set up a pseduo-default time context from 0001 to 2359 (a cool tip I learned from Uncle Mike!). Or have an Exit Task to do the same thing.

Rob

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones