• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Possible Battery Fix from HTC

Huge improvement for me, her is my latest usage results. Note: today I spend 5 hours at work in a VERY low coverage area, with wifi on. I'm talking about a signal -100 or worse.

8h25m
24% cell standby
21% phone idle
20% voice calls 45m13s
18% wifi (on for 6h32m)
7% Android system
5% BT (on for 1h51m, some A2DP used)
3% Dialer
2% display

at 63% now!!!!!

Uptime 49h40m
awake 10h19m

Upvote 0
The battery is definitely not HORRIBLE. It's not great either. I can get through most of the day (about an hour or two before I sleep) without it dying on me. I text throughout the day, its new so I just mess around with the settings and I'll make a couple calls and also play Doodle jump. I'm just wondering if the new update will increase the amount of juice the device can hold.

Upvote 0
Seems pretty decent. I was running Damage Control before the 2.2 update so I had setcpu working which gave me pretty awesome battery life.

Is the consensus to keep "enable always on data" off? I feel like that helped a good amount and I think my notifications are still getting pushed.

One battery killer I noticed is that I forget to turn off wifi when I leave the house for work, I wish it shut off automatically if it cant find a signal say after 10 minutes.

Upvote 0
You can also uncheck the updaters in sprint zone..

no sir?! i'm goin' in!

reset updates in stupid sprint zone app to "only at startup" (which i never do) : check :D

My battery isn't doing any worse with Froyo, but my waketime:uptime ratio is still a little sketchy..... me thinks there is more juice still to be had.... any ideas????

network good, sync/background data good. gtalk good. sprintzone, now good. hmmm what am i missing?

could just be that i've charged it while awake recently a bit. but still any other ideas are welcome.

Upvote 0
After I did the OTA update, my battery life was much worse. I noticed that something caused my phone to stay awake after the update. My uptime and awake time were the exact amount. So I just did a reboot of the phone and everything seems back to normal. I wonder what caused the phone to stay awake? Its something I'm gonna have to keep an eye on.

reset gmail to not sign in automatically. also, reboot a time or 2. i've heard this can iron itself out. but if not, the more extreme measuer of factory (hard reset) is helping others.you will undoubtedly get more responses, as we'v been seeing this for a couple days now, with various solutions providing mixed results. good luck

Upvote 0
Alright, updated last night. Phones been off the hook for an hour and at 70%!! I'm usually at 70 at the end of my work day still ... Phone isn't sleeping, tried resetting ... nothing is working. I didn't have this issue before though :(

Also, anyone else notice that the "*#*#4636#*#*" from the dialer, to get to the internal menu doesn't work anymore?!

Upvote 0
Me too on worse battery life, though mine dramatically worse.

After official 2.2 OTA last night, my battery life has been cut in half, draining about 1% every other minute of light use. Spent hrs. trying bunches of tips in this thread and others: reformatting card, factory reset, various charging combos, removing battery, changing CDMA->GSM->CDMA auto(PRL), radios off, sync off, data off, widgets removed, flat stock wallpaper, holding my breath, lowered brightness, only bare bones apps that came with system, turning off most optional extra sound, vibrations/haptics, etc. Even swore I'd go back to church. Didn't help.

I know my experience not the norm with some here reporting better battery life but that is of little comfort, the opposite actually. Will give it a few more days of use and tweaks and if no change, will see if I can get back to 2.1. Love my Evo but this is Phooey.

P.S: When I first got the phone I had terrible battery life too but was able to improve it with tips from this forum, the first update helped also. If my 2.2 battery woes improve, I'll report back.

Upvote 0
I don't blame the underlying OS, i blame the idiots at HTC that can't do simple things like remove the 30FPS cap, add the h.264 to 720p, or create a stable ROM to save their life.

Usually a big corporation with paid professionals come up with the best software, but it seems when it comes to android the development community has more collective knowledge in their pinky than any company that makes their own Android roms for their phones.

i agree that they make mistakes... but its just like people that complain about terrible roadways.. its not an easy thing to do making roadways that make sense. . id like to see you make a stable rom.Its not easy... And without people trying it... they cant make it perfect. All initial makes have bugs... thats the fact of life. And complaining about it just makes an ass out of you.

nothign against you personally... I cant stand people that dont even give the slightest credit to an awesome company.. who makes awesome stuff.

Upvote 0

After official 2.2 OTA last night, my battery life has been cut in half, draining about 1% every other minute of light use. Spent hrs. trying bunches of tips in this thread and others: reformatting card, factory reset, various charging combos, removing battery, changing CDMA->GSM->CDMA auto(PRL), radios off, sync off, data off, widgets removed, flat stock wallpaper, holding my breath, lowered brightness, only bare bones apps that came with system, turning off most optional extra sound, vibrations/haptics, etc. Even swore I'd go back to church. Didn't help.

I know my experience not the norm with some here reporting better battery life but that is of little comfort, the opposite actually. Will give it a few more days of use and tweaks and if no change, will see if I can get back to 2.1. Love my Evo but this is Phooey.

P.S: When I first got the phone I had terrible battery life too but was able to improve it with tips from this forum, the first update helped also. If my 2.2 battery woes improve, I'll report back.

I did the unofficial update, and im gettign better battery! maybe you should go to that one if possible. i found mine on androidpoilice. im at 71 percent.. and i have been using the phone constantly from 8:00 pm yesterday. to now.

I have been using the flashlight... and basically playing with the phone. I even used an app for an activity of mine i do while hiking... usied it without turning screen off once for over 2 hours.

seems to be god for battery righ now. used to die every 20 mins.

Reactions: keoniii
Upvote 0

When surfing forums and stuff on 3G, mine drains about 1% every 5 minutes or so, so you aren't alone there. No idea if this is the norm though.

Upvote 0
OTA update.
4G off (none in my area).
Bluetooth off.
Everything else on.
3h 49m since unplugged.
Battery at 92% REMAINING

Up Time: 5h 17
Awake time: 1h 33m

Cell stby: 31%
WiFi: 32%
Phone idle: 31%
Android System: 4%
Display: 2%

On average, extrapolating from carefully watched usage graphs in the day since the update, I'm expecting a max of about 40 hours of standby, 6 to 8 hours of surfing, 5 hours of talk time.

Before Froyo, my Evo was about 1/2 of each of those stats.

Before Froyo, my battery percentage would drop from 100% to about 94% within five minutes of being off the charger.

Also before Froyo, when I would use the navigation or Trapster in the car, the phone would either:

a) get so hot that the charge LED would blink and the Evo would stop charging, or
b) continue to charge, but draw so much power that the battery would only increase by a percent or two over the course of an hour.

Now, even charging, running Trapster, and running a flash video in the browser, the Evo warmed only slightly and charged at normal speed.

Froyo was very, very good for my battery life.

Upvote 0
Updated to 2.2 this morning. Have gone through FOUR charged batteries today. Can't charge batteries fast enough to keep up. I had great battery life before this update, now I might get four hours out of the phone max.

I have mobile network and phone on. 4G off, bluetooth off, wifi off, gps off, don't synch with any social network sites. Check pop email every 15 minutes. Same settings as previous.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This phone is unacceptable with this magnitude of battery usage (when it was so good previously).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Tonight I realized my battery drained quicker than usual. I have 4 batteries but I get a bad signal at work and it always drains quick but my EVO held up better than my TP2 buy the time I got off work. Tonight I had it in airplane mode for the 1st couple hours and it went from 86% to very low in no time. Only thing different I've done recently is turn on auto sync and had never been checked before on 2.1. But I set it to sync FB and Twitter so I wasn't always updating my friends stream and I set it to sync all google cause I wasn't getting gmail notifications right away. I know somewhere you can set it to how often to sync and I think mines set for 4 hours I forget. But it was weird how my battery drained quicker tonight. I didn't know you could set it to sync certain things. I thought for some reason once checking it that it synced everything.

Well I always go to system and end stuff and I noticed tonight every time my phone goes into powersave mode where the screen goes off when I turn it back on stuff reappears and just now more things showed up like that Amazon MP3 which is always there and facebook keeps showing up even though I close it and so does a couple other things. Should I go under manage apps and force close instead of system and end?

But I remember before I think I had unchecked enable data always on should it be unchecked or not? I noticed mine was checked so I unchecked it. I also just relaized all my sprint zone stuff got rechecked so I unchecked all of it. Maybe it was the Sprint Zone that was draining me plus I never had auto sync checked before. I unchecked it but may check it back. I did the put on gsm from Network app and back to CDMA thing and then PRL update and I went from 6068 to 6069? What exactally does a PRL update do? I boguht the extra battery charger thing that came with 2 batteries so I have four so I'm not too worried. But something made mine drain quicker than normal tonight. I'll check it again tomorrow at work. I'm at a 100% now and I usually unplug it in the am and let it sit until I'm almost ready to leave then I plug it in again and let it get full. I bring my charger to work too cause I just don't like to go through the trouble of swapping out batteries. But tomorrow I'll see how long it takes before it fully drains and check my awake and up time too. I think I'll take it off charger now it's on a 100% and let it go until it drains completely.

I got the 2.2 the other day and I am assuming it's the same version as everyone got today right? I don't like how system shows all this stuff back in the list after I end it. But I am guessing all that Sprint Zone stuff being checked again was draining battery too cause I had unchecked them before when I had 2.1 but with 2.2 they became checked again plus I never had auto sync always on before. And that enable always on mobile data was checked like I said and I think I had it unchecked also before but that's something I need to know about whether it should be unchecked or not.

I'm gonna monitor mine over the next couple days. But my TP2 was always dead by the end of the night. And I bring my EVO charger with me to work and sometimes I go airplane for a bit and sometimes I don't but my phone has never been as low as it was tonight. It was dying before I was home. And my car charger doesn't work it's an old charger from my LG Lotus so I just ordered a new one of those.

But anyway I still love 2.2 and hopefully there will be another update to fix some bugs. Flash is great and I love bluetooth voice dialing.

Upvote 0
Updated to 2.2 this morning. Have gone through FOUR charged batteries today. Can't charge batteries fast enough to keep up. I had great battery life before this update, now I might get four hours out of the phone max.

I have mobile network and phone on. 4G off, bluetooth off, wifi off, gps off, don't synch with any social network sites. Check pop email every 15 minutes. Same settings as previous.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This phone is unacceptable with this magnitude of battery usage (when it was so good previously).

I'm with you, except my email is set to manual. I charged my phone 2 times yesterday and once this morning on the way to work. Why would they make the battery worse on a product that people are complaining about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones