• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MMS pictures not downloading

AmbientBlu

Nov 24, 2009
NYC
I did a forum search and saw this question asked but didn't see any answers so I'm posting this again hoping someone can help with this most frustrating problem I'm having with MMS.

At least 60% of the time when someone sends me a picture message I will get the option to download the picture. When I click "download" the box turns to grey text that says "downloading" but it never downloads, just goes back to the download button. Sometimes I will get a message in my notifications panel saying "Message not downloaded". This happens in both the stock messages program as well as Handcent.

Does anyone else have this problem and a suggestion on how to fix it? This is a huge issue for me.

Thanks in advance.

Make sure you have Mobile Network (connected to the Internet) turned on. It won't download them otherwise.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that was one of the first things I checked. I was on the phone with VZW tech support (oxymoron?) last night and not only was the tech not able to fix my problem, but the steps he had me go through (hard reset, restore to factory settings) for some unknown reason ended up rendering my phone unable to receive SMS in addition to the MMS. I told him to deactivate the phone and reactivate my old Chocolate 3.

Ten minutes later I called CS, had them reactivate it (my bill is going to be so prorated this cycle) and now it seems to be working properly.

So, while my issue seems to be solved (for now) I unfortunately cannot be of help to anyone else to may be having the same problem, because I don't know what fixed it.

Upvote 0
Nosing around the Handcent forums, I noticed quite a few people complaining of this. This was a suggestion offered. Turn off wi-fi. According to the forum, for some reason the phone (and I say "phone" rather than "Handcent" because it happened with the stock program too) seems unable to download pictures/video while wi-fi is enabled.

I can neither confirm nor deny this, though I admit I have Wi-Fi turned off, simply because I won't use it often. I don't want to turn it back on and risk screwing up any of my settings (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), but perhaps those of you still experiencing the issue can give it a shot.

Upvote 0
I have noticed this problem starting today... The past few days I have not had ANY problem downloading MMS/Picture Messages, and all of a sudden today I can't download any multimedia/pic messages... I've tried using handcent and the stock messaging options (both of which worked fine yesterday)... I tried turning off wi-fi... I've tried every option other than calling tech support yet. I've checked my settings... All's as it should be... I didn't do anything different today than what I did yesterday. Anyone know if this is a general new issue/bug today or something? It HAD been working fine before...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones