• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Dead thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All HTC apps are still there it pretty much just took the 'skin' off of home :)

Oh, the eye-candy is all?

This is very interesting. I wonder if you can actually de-install Sense, or is disabling it the only option.

Also, I guess I'm also wondering about other ramifications of not using it.. how integrated is Sense with the operating system, etc.

Upvote 0
device.png

and dos

device2.png

device3.png

device4.png

Upvote 0
Interesting.. would you mind describing more about how the device functions now? Suppose for example you want to go to a stock app.. are the icons still there?

His screenshot is exactly what it does. It takes that crap out. Yes, some apps are still running in the background, but menus are incredibly fast. Especially Messages. Notification bar is quicker, getting to the notification is quicker, and according to ATK I still have about the same amount of memory.

But it's faster, I know for a fact. Loading up the browser is quicker, I can get to the bottom of my People list faster than I could previously open it.

It has a cleaner look. I think I'm gonna stick with this until it proves me wrong.

Upvote 0
The thing is, even with sense disabled, it will still load into memory. There is no way to permanently disable it until the phone is rooted. No matter how many times you disable it, it will be back.

What I have found is that initially the phone will be fast by disabling sense. Eventually it will slow down, to a point. What you gain in speed is negligible. The only way to make this phone senseless is to root it. What you lose by disabling sense isn't worth the slight increase if any in speed.

Upvote 0
How's it running Frisco?

It does run differently on Home rather than Sense. The apps load instantaneously, and it's easy to see that the whole system is using less resources in that mode.

I went back and forth a couple of times to test it further, just to my eye if you know what I mean.

I think a lot of people who use the Eris, many who have posted here, will want to use it in Home because they have a lot of apps, a lot of daily usage as "power users," etc. They will be pleasantly surprised that Sense is a bit of a hog with the device's cpu and that Home solves that.

I went ahead and put Sense back in as my default (a simple choice as the Eris boots up; there's a check mark for "use as default" in the Home and Sense choice offered then) because, in my case, the quickness of the apps loading, etc, is pretty good with Sense being as how I only have the default apps in there and two others: Spare Parts and Brickbreaker.

Basically speaking, I don't need to disable Sense, but a lot of Eris users should if they want an increase in speed of the display, etc. It's fast enough for me with Sense invoked.

Thanks for showing that choice in here, yet another great tip found in the forums here. :)

Upvote 0
Do what you did to Sense to Home and then hit the Home key and it'll ask again, what program you want to use. Choose Sense.
Thanks for the quick reply... I went back into the setting and ther Clear Defaults no longer able for selection, its grey'd out... But when I originally selected HOME I check marked it to select home for default so it does not come up and ask anymore...

Upvote 0
Hey Guys....
Sorry I have been swamped with Work lately....
But to get back on topic:
The Devs are still working hard, have a few explots that they are banging away at.
I will try and get sometime this week to post all of the tried and failed exploits and so on over at the main XDA thread....
Hope you are all well and thanks again for your support.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys....
The Devs are still working hard, have a few explots that they are banging away at.
I will try and get sometime this week to post all of the tried and failed exploits and so on over at the main XDA thread....

Thank you for the update, acidbath.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys....

Kinda forgot what this thread was all about, what with the switch to Home for some of us and whatnot. Seems like there's still a lot of work to do.

Root may be as far away as the iPhone 3GS jailbreak. Or it could happen tomorrow.

I'm counting it on not happening.

Why is that? It does seem like it's taking forever, but that's what you get for buying a somewhat obscure phone. I'm pretty sure the devs aren't gonna just give up and walk away. After all the time they've put into this, they'll find something,.

Upvote 0
Root may be as far away as the iPhone 3GS jailbreak. Or it could happen tomorrow.

I'm counting it on not happening.

How incredibly negative of you. :p

It will happen eventually. I would be simply amazed if this was the one Android device in all of existence that could not be rooted. Everyone just needs to have a little patience.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones