• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread 2.3 was here, then gone, now it's back

When will VZW push a fixed GB OTA

• 10/11/11

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10/17/11

• 10/24/11

• 10/31/11

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 11/07/11

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 11/14/111

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • 11/21/11

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Don't care (rooted already, etc)

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Before Christmas

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • Never, the lobsters ate all the testers so it got cancelled

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • It isn't coming at all now

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • Any minute now

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Immediately after Jimmy Hoffa's body is found

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • The day after the apocalypse

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Sometime after the sun goes supernova

Votes: 9 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
picard-facepalm.jpg

lol!

Reactions: johnt519
Upvote 0
If you get the 4.08.605.2 not 4.06.605.3. Please post right away
I'm confused. Isn't the .3 later than .2? Why would you want to know if someone has the older one. For reference I got

6f37e6f6b9ab.OTA_Incredible_C_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_4.06.605.3-3.26.605.1_release_210690.zip

last night, and I captured it. I have not applied it as I have some things to do first (I'm rooted and use this crazy app NotEnoughSpace to free up the damned /data/data space, and it won't unwind).

Upvote 0
The update was waiting for me this morning. I held off installing until I had a chance to come here and see what problems people were having. I guess I can assume that my root will be lost with the update? Rooting this thing the first time was such a pain. What is the easiest root method on the streets now?

Thanks!
Unless you have S-off you will not be able to root after the update until a new fix is found (please corre3ct me if im not exactly right)
You don't need root to back up (or restore) angry birds saves...

Care to elaborate? That is a pretty cryptic response

Upvote 0
I hit Install Later several times this morning so I could research what this was before accepting it, but when I finally hit install now it said "phone rebooting in 10 seconds..." but the screen just disappeared before it ever finished the countdown. It never rebooted and now I no longer have the update option.

Upvote 0
I had the update last night. I kept hitting the install later to see what it was and what issues there were, and now the update is gone. I'm still on 2.2. Not sure I want it. I have been thinking about rooting, just haven't worked up the nerve yet.

+100 on that..... I am not sure I will update either....2.2 sucks as it still is opening apps all the time and running down the batt life, but the possible problems ofan update that already has known problems and possible???future patch fixes bothers me to no end..... Doesn't anyone beta test anymore.....oops....sorry.....forgot we are the guinea pigs....I mean beta testers for them.

Upvote 0
I hit Install Later several times this morning so I could research what this was before accepting it, but when I finally hit install now it said "phone rebooting in 10 seconds..." but the screen just disappeared before it ever finished the countdown. It never rebooted and now I no longer have the update option.

Similar thing here. I kept saying later. After reading here, I figured I'd do it over lunch. Now the update is no longer there and it says my phone is up to date. It's still at 2.2.

Upvote 0
I'm confused. Isn't the .3 later than .2? Why would you want to know if someone has the older one. For reference I got

6f37e6f6b9ab.OTA_Incredible_C_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_4.06.605.3-3.26.605.1_release_210690.zip

last night, and I captured it. I have not applied it as I have some things to do first (I'm rooted and use this crazy app NotEnoughSpace to free up the damned /data/data space, and it won't unwind).

We're waiting for 4.08.xxx- it should be the fix. We're currently on 4.06.xxx. Read the numbers more carefully.

Upvote 0
If you get the 4.08.605.2 not 4.06.605.3. Please post right away...

I'm confused. Isn't the .3 later than .2? Why would you want to know if someone has the older one...

Bob, you missed the second number in the version. Looks like the newer version is 4.08, where the current version being pushed out to everyone now is 4.06.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Unless you have S-off you will not be able to root after the update until a new fix is found (please corre3ct me if im not exactly right)

Care to elaborate? That is a pretty cryptic response

I'm not sure what S-off is, but thanks for the confirming what I pretty much knew was the case.

Just for info's sake, here is my current versions, prior to the update:

Android: 2.2
Baseband: 2.15.00.07.28
Kernel: 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16'
Build: 3.26.605.1 CL264707 release-keys
Software: 3.26.605.1
Browser: Webkit 3.1
PRI: 1.70_002
PRL: 30070
ERI: 5

I have NOT let the new flash install, yet. Not sure that I want to. I depend on my rooted hotspot for my company, so I don't want to risk losing that for any extended period of time.

Upvote 0
Strange - I checked this site today, noticed that people were receiving the update, so I went into my phone settings and the update had already downloaded by itself. I just had to install. Anyway, the phone seems much snappier to me. Screens load and scroll MUCH faster. And I like the "fade" transition thing going on.

Is there a list anywhere of what is new? I'm talking about a list created by us, rather than the one published by VZW.

Reactions: Emmnemms
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones