• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those notifications are useless. I signed up for RAZR and the HTC device, and I got the notification of the RAZR on the same day it started selling, and I still haven't gotten one for HTC.

And here I thought I could stop paying attention for a bit. Well, if that is incorrect I will be happy, but seeing as NOBODY has seen such notifications, I'm heavily discounting tomorrow in my own mind at least.

I don't why I care so much really. The smart thing for me is to wait until I move in January to a place where only Verizon has service. For now I am a happy TMo customer. Must be the 'new shiny gadget' syndrome + ICS.

Upvote 0
I'm highly intrigued by the fact that you fly. That is all.
No, wait - be careful.
Now that is all.

I think he means he flies the little radio control planes. ("little parachute guy").

:p

Sorry, should have specified. Yes, Han is correct. I am an avid (read: addicted) radio-control airplane/heli pilot. My friend and fellow R/C pilot has an R/C parachute man... you flip a switch on your transmitter and the guy moves his arm to open the parachute. Once the chute is open, you use the right stick on the transmitter to control his descent. I have a large plane (9 lbs. and 80" (6 1/2 ft.) wingspan) that is capable of carrying large payloads such as his parachute guy. He weighs about 2 lbs. I think? We call the parachute man "You Gonna Die" cause the chute has a nasty habit of not opening. :p He's been rebuilt several times and today will possibly be the re- re- re- maiden flight of You Gonna Die. Definitely bringing my camera due to past history. :D

Reactions: Crashumbc
Upvote 0
Ya, and none of them have panned out.

The longer this whole episode goes on, the more apparent (to me at least) it is that ALL of these sources (not just the very generous ones sharing with Steven) are going off of second and third hand information or worse themselves. The people with Verizon who make the final decision are either so conflicted (or just plain stubborn) over this release and bouncing back and forth on dates. I'm willing to believe that at some point in time there was absolute truth to almost every legitimate release date leak we've seen. The problem in my eyes is that the ultimate decision makers are making internal decisions so quickly that by the time the "leak" reaches someone who's willing to share- its old news.

And on that note. I don't know if you're willing or able to confirm this information Steven- but how in fact did you vet your sources? Or are you just going off of blind faith in a faceless email? I apologize if this answer HAS been given earlier in this thread and I missed it. I'm just curious; not making accusations or anything.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
You realize you are taking money out of AndroidForums' pocket by using an ad blocker?

They provide a free service to you. The only way they fund this is through ad impressions. When you use ad blockers, you are essentially stealing because you aren't paying for your own bandwidth/data/etc.

I plead this on my own forum, too. Ad blockers are great, but if you like a site and get use out of it, UNBLOCK THE ADS. That's how the site pays for its bandwidth, servers, and the few people who are getting paid to dedicate a lot of time to development, testing and maintenance.

An alternative to support Android Forums is to become a Premium Member ;)

Upvote 0
I think if you go AT&T you can get HSPA. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

My major advantage of TMo is their Monthly 4G plan of 100 minutes, and unlimited web for $30 a month without a contract.

This intrigues me all that much more. I hardly ever use the phone feature. So little, in fact, that I just called it a feature, like it isn't the main function. Sigh.

Upvote 0
Sorry, should have specified. Yes, Han is correct. I am an avid (read: addicted) radio-control airplane/heli pilot. My friend and fellow R/C pilot has an R/C parachute man... you flip a switch on your transmitter and the guy moves his arm to open the parachute. Once the chute is open, you use the right stick on the transmitter to control his descent. I have a large plane (9 lbs. and 80" (6 1/2 ft.) wingspan) that is capable of carrying large payloads such as his parachute guy. He weighs about 2 lbs. I think? We call the parachute man "You Gonna Die" cause the chute has a nasty habit of not opening. :p He's been rebuilt several times and today will possibly be the re- re- re- maiden flight of You Gonna Die. Definitely bringing my camera due to past history. :D

^^^ THAT is cool hahaha. I've always wanted to get into that hobby. Sadly, I just play with the real things. No, not a pilot. Just in the aviation business.

Upvote 0
It really scares me that our national news organizations "might" write their stories on as poorly confirmed information as some of our internet "news" sites do. A "Verizon Galaxy Nexus" search this morning seems to show all sorts of articles saying the 16GB Nexus phone is being released on Dec 8th. Based on what I've seen here, there's not NEARLY enough confirmation that either part of that (the memory size or date) are confirmed enough for a story. This scares me.

At least the ABC News story didn't go that far. Maybe that's a little sign of hope.

Upvote 0
I have officially decided that if this hits another carrier first, I'm jumping. Any other VZW people feel the same?

Edit: I'm not saying it will happen, more saying how I feel. Just an opinion about a what if.

Frankly it's not worth it for one phone. Especially not a phone that my carrier will eventually get.

I think we hyped ourselves up way too much for this phone and not only is it looking more and more "dud-like" every day but every week they delay it is closer to a "better" option..

Upvote 0
I have officially decided that if this hits another carrier first, I'm jumping. Any other VZW people feel the same?

Edit: I'm not saying it will happen, more saying how I feel. Just an opinion about a what if.

No. I somehow use quite a bit of my data and don't want to lose the unlimited

Lol. I am back to being intrigued. I hope you get video of You Gonna Due and can send a link. I love watching the R/C stuff. And it's a bonus when things jump out

so is this thing still good to go for tomorrow as far as we know?

Depends on how hard you believe. And if the phone fates approve of your red shoes while you are clicking your heels together saying "I BELIEVE"

Upvote 0
It really scares me that our national news organizations "might" write their stories on as poorly confirmed information as some of our internet "news" sites do.

So true. May be a stretch here, but I believe that poor journalism has helped keep the people so divided that it will be even more difficult to remove the trash from Washington, regardless of what side any of us or the politicians are on. The people stay divided and it's easier to control them. Just my .02.

Upvote 0
^^^ THAT is cool hahaha. I've always wanted to get into that hobby. Sadly, I just play with the real things. No, not a pilot. Just in the aviation business.

Thanks! Here's an old pic of the lifting plane. It's a little different now... the rudder and wintips are blue instead of pink, and I converted it to electric power. It's called "Big Boy" made by Morris Hobbies (in case anyone is curious).

Attachments

• Dscn0197.jpg
    Dscn0197.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones