• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tutorials, Roms, Team MarvelUSc -- EVERYTHING YOU NEED

So now that I'm rooted, I thought I'd be free of the small internal memory issue. But it seems I don't know how to use Link2SD or TitaniumBackup right. I took a backup of all apps and system data with Titanium. My questions are:

1. I'm not sure how to proceed on removing stuff, because I don't want to break anything. Is there a known list of bloatware that is safe to remove?

2. New apps don't seem to be installing on my 2 gig second partition on my sdcard. What am I doing wrong? I set something in link2sd that said to default to installing apps in the external storage, but they still take up space. Tried to get the latest update on Angry Birds Seasons, and it says I don't have enough space.

3. How does the linking work? I did a batch move of all apps to sdcard, and hardly anything moved, and no system apps moved at all. Then I tried a batch linking of all apps, several say they are linked but I didn't gain much or any space internally.

Upvote 0
I really don't get the memory usage on this phone. Recently I viewed my available space in applications>manage apps. It first said 22, then jumped to 42 after I let it sit there a minute. Then I selected an app, when I backed out it now said 35 available. So that's a bit confusing.

On to my main question - anyone having trouble installing large apps? Angry birds seasons was one of the first apps I installed, and that went fine. Of course that ate a huge chunk of my available memory. Eventually I got the phone rooted and made a backup of all apps in titanium backup. Now I have removed all my user apps. Available space barely got into the 40's. I don't recall what it started at when I first got the phone but it was higher than that. Then I try to install angry birds, or any large app, 20 meg range. None will install. If I get a smaller app, it installs fine.

edit: I rolled back some updates of system apps like gmail and got my available space up to 57. Still couldn't install angry birds. Was able to install pandora. Says it under 3 meg. After install my available space is 32!?!? Then I click on pandora to see details. Click back to manage app screen and now says 46 available. Better than 32, yes, but still an 11 meg change for an app that is 3 meg? Then I move it to sd card. Available space remains 46. I am missing something here because this makes no sense.

edit: now my available space jumped up to 54. So at least that makes sense, 57-3. Seems the space available number is subject to verification.

Grrr... I thought I'd be able to get this memory problem out of the way with rooting, but not there yet...

I see people stating they have over 100 apps on this phone. I am rooted and can't get 1 to install. Please elaborate! Thanks

One last question, is linking preferred to moving to sdcard, or are both about the same, or is moving to sdcard better, from an internal memory availability standpoint?

Upvote 0
I'd like to try your rom but the comments indicate wifi won't work. Is that working now? Or the CM7 one, if it's working. I've tried several roms on my last phone where important features didn't work, so it kind of defeated the purpose. And I haven't seen the stock rom (for VM) available either, which would be nice in case I wanted to jump back.

I might try a factory reset and start over. I don't have a ton of apps and could restore my phone to the way I like it pretty quickly, esp. with titanium backup. Anyone know if the factory reset will unroot the phone or set it back to s-on?

edit - simon, thank you! Wiped cache in recovery and was able to install the update for angry birds seasons! My internal free space hardly budged, too. Actually now it went up! It seems to fluctuate, and rarely matches what link2sd reports.

Upvote 0
We have an insainly small cache partition. When your running low just clear it in recovery, that will always work. I have the stock nandroids on my OP i believe. You just got to use thoes in recovery and you will still have s-off and recovery, but you will need to reroot. Im looking into the wifi problem, And also going to update soon. That may be my CHRISTmas present to everyone lol. CM is a tricker boat. Maybe even Miui for you guys on VM, i cant get mms working though. I can get sending pictures working through gmail working no problem, and add instructions to it. Im going to keep looking into the problems, just give me time lol. I have three roms getting equal attention.

Upvote 0
Hi, Noob here I need a bit of help fixing my I think bricked phone :thinking:. I rooted it with success following the instructions on this thread the problem is that I bought titanium Backup pro and started messing with it without knowing how to use it so I got to an area where it said remove integration of dalvik cache so after that was done it didnt go past the boot screen, :mad:. Can any expert help?

Upvote 0
Hi, Noob here I need a bit of help fixing my I think bricked phone :thinking:. I rooted it with success following the instructions on this thread the problem is that I bought titanium Backup pro and started messing with it without knowing how to use it so I got to an area where it said remove integration of dalvik cache so after that was done it didnt go past the boot screen, :mad:. Can any expert help?

i'm far from an expert, but have you tried flashing a new ROM or a backup you made before you ran that operation on titanium? there is a thread over at XDA that has the factory ROMs from most wildfire s models, so if you didnt make a backup i'd check it out and try flashing a new ROM through CWM recovery.

Reactions: duncan sholem
Upvote 0
Well, you didnt "brick" it so to say. You need to go into recovery and flash my rom, or use my nandroid backups. That will get you past this just fine. If you dont have CWM recovery, just follow my instructions

Reactions: duncan sholem
Upvote 0
I downloaded your rom and copied it to the sd went into the cwm recovery installed the update but it got stuck at htc green and white screen I waited 30 or more minutes but to no avail. am I doing something wrong? Im sorry for being such a noob

reboot into CWM, then before you flash the ROM, select wipe cache partition and wipe data/factory reset. then try flashing the ROM. this should prevent the corrupted data on your phone from interfering with the new data being written. *note* those operations will erase ALL of your stored data, but it will make the flash more likely to succeed and your contacts and such should be synced to you google account. any apps can also be restored by titanium backup or just re-downloading. hope you can get it running again.

Upvote 0
Can you clarify the status of wifi. Is it working on SSROM at this point or not? Keep reading good things, I've had a VM Wildfire S for all of 2 days and have managed to not totally screw it up yet. I have not activated the phone and may not ever do that - who knows.

I am also really curious about lind2sd. I installed it, but it doesn't seem to give me any new capabilities. Is that something that was written for 2.1 or 2.2 and is standard in 2.3? I can move individual apps w/o link2sd. I see you still can't move most apps since they're system apps... tried reinstalling or uninstalling and updating and while it seems like I should be able to move it I get [INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_INSTALL_LOCATION]. Examples are google maps and google books.

Really appreciate the thread, it helped me get S-OFF and root. Rather than continue the next couple of steps I figured I'd flash the SSROM but since I rely on wifi I'd love to know what I get myself into

Regards,
Rich

Upvote 0
Can you clarify the status of wifi. Is it working on SSROM at this point or not? Keep reading good things, I've had a VM Wildfire S for all of 2 days and have managed to not totally screw it up yet. I have not activated the phone and may not ever do that - who knows.

I am also really curious about lind2sd. I installed it, but it doesn't seem to give me any new capabilities. Is that something that was written for 2.1 or 2.2 and is standard in 2.3? I can move individual apps w/o link2sd. I see you still can't move most apps since they're system apps... tried reinstalling or uninstalling and updating and while it seems like I should be able to move it I get [INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_INSTALL_LOCATION]. Examples are google maps and google books.

Really appreciate the thread, it helped me get S-OFF and root. Rather than continue the next couple of steps I figured I'd flash the SSROM but since I rely on wifi I'd love to know what I get myself into

Regards,
Rich
Sorry about the lack of updates, ive been working on getting ssrom classic perfect. Wifi doesnt work in that build but does in the update im posting soon. Everything works in the update, and the only problem is that i still have more stuff to remove :p im de-operatorizing it lol. So no more VM crapware

hi, im going to get a sixteen gig sd card soon, and i was wondering if i could make it into a goldcard and aftr s-off make it into a normal sd card for regular storage (like i can use it in my phone):
Yes you can do that. I actually reccomend just keeping it a goldcard (no harm in doing so) as if you ever need it in the future or if you sell it you can label it as such

Upvote 0
Sorry about the lack of updates, ive been working on getting ssrom classic perfect. Wifi doesnt work in that build but does in the update im posting soon. Everything works in the update, and the only problem is that i still have more stuff to remove :p im de-operatorizing it lol. So no more VM crapware
Looking forward to it!

Yes you can do that. I actually reccomend just keeping it a goldcard (no harm in doing so) as if you ever need it in the future or if you sell it you can label it as such

Can you point me towards some information on 'goldcard'? What makes it a 'goldcard'? I simply followed your instructions...

Regards,
Rich

Upvote 0

after installing link2sd, you have to make a 2nd partition on your SD card. i have found that which format works apparently varies from phone to phone. my l2sd 2nd partition is ext2, while my wife's is fat32, and the phones are identical otherwise. search on google for link2sd help and i know you will get the tips you need to make that invaluable tool work. maps and books however, will not move to SD card as they are system apps, though i think you may be able to remove books without hurting anything. if you attempt that, make sure to do a backup in CWM before you do, just in case of problems.

Upvote 0
Interestingly I tried FAT32 first. It did not recognize the partition. I'd made it a little over 1G. Don't remember cluster size, maybe 1G is where default size goes to 8K. Anyway, then I tried ext2, it recogized it, I buit the mount script, but it would not mount. Then I built 800M FAT32 and it worked fine!

Only I still don't see the point. What can link2sd do that I can't do via 'manage applications'? I can move an app installed from the market to SD there. I have this suspicion that maybe in 2.1 that was not there perhaps and link2sd filled a gap that is no longer there in 2.3 (???) There is a 'link' option in addition to 'move', is that the point? Does it mean DATA for an app installed on the phone will be offloaded to the card?

Rich

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones