• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid Bootloader

You should be safe to just reboot the phone, or pull the battery and put it back in. On the other hand... do you know how you got into this mode? Some people are specifically trying to get access to this. :)

I accidentally dropped it in water, prbly not the best way to do it. What benifits could this have, does it have anything to do with rooting the device, because i reealllly want to do that.

EDIT: It will only go to the screen i mentioned earlier.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The bootloader is used to flash apk, sbf, and pretty much any other supported format of software to the phone using RSD Lite and sbf files. It is used as a stepping stone to rebuild your device's file structure or as a tool to deconstruct original manufacturer software. Here there is no operating system just your basic USB driver and your linux kernel which is what android uses to live breathe and be awesome. Now...

There are two scenarios:
1)your device is running bootloader only when plugged into the USB port and once it's unplugged it functions normally

Or...

2)your device is unplugged and showing the black bootloader screen.

The first scenario simply means you have USB debug mode enabled in your application settings and all you have to do is turn that off since that mode allows your device to receive programming code, useful if you're a developer or overly knowledgeable end-user (;) like me. Not so much if you're not. Simply go to HOME SCREEN, SETTINGS, APPLICATIONS, DEVELOPMENT, and UNCHECK THE BOX

The second scenario is actually quite serious and more than likely (unless you've been making backups either though google, backup assistant, mobile recovery, simply copying files to your SD card, etc) all of your settings, any free apps and any contacts not synced with google are lost forever (or until you manually enter them into your new device). What most people don't realize is that your SD card is safe from any system restore, system crash, etc and has enough space on it for you to make regular backups (managed to prevent un-needed clutter) Astros File Manager in market is an EXCELLENT utility and the paid version is well worth the few bucks. Your conracts shold be safe through google and all PAID apps are saved on the market servers.

Now, if you dropped your phone in water and you're getting the bootloader then open the battery cover and look to see if the water damage indicator has been activated, it will be completely red instead of red with a white x. Note: Verizon does not cover any water damaged devices under their warranty, if you're insured through assurion I would contact them.

Now here's what you're going to attempt to do:
1)access android recovery
2)perform a nandroid restore

Now, i have never accessed the stock recovery on either device so i dont know what options are available if any without superuser. If you can, try to do a nandroid restore. If not then you can try to flash a stock recovery using RSD Lite and then a stock froyo rom. Stock recovery and ROM images are available on the internet. I will not refer to any specific site. If that doesnt work then you can try to flash a hacked recovery image which is basically your first step to rooting. The way i see it, if you got water damage youre paying for a new phone regardless so why not explore a little.

With ALL that being said, your average person isnt gonna bother messing with RSD Lite, sbf files, zip updates or nandroid recovery, they will simply take the phone to a store location and pay for a new phone because i know for a fact verizon no longer has localized technicians qnd utilize the quick exchangen method of tech support.

Upvote 0
While not every case is the same, in my experience the problem seemed to be caused by dirt/debris buildup around the camera, power, and volume rocker buttons. I took my phone apart and cleaned it out; so far it has been booting normally and hasn't booted to the boot loader screen unintentionally since. I know the prospect of taking a phone apart might make most people cringe, but there are youtube videos that show the step-by-step process. Just take each step slowly and once you're done you shouldn't be able to tell the phone was ever taken apart. This is, of course, a last resort if you don't have any other options.

Upvote 0
I had this problem, I think from sweating too much when I run... I tried multiple permutations of buttons, battery swap, SD card removal, and did attempt to unroot the phone with RSD Lite and recieved the message "critical error".

Eventually I reset the computer with the phone still plugged in via usb. I'm not sure why, but when the laptop rebooted, the phone restarted and works perfectly (without a factory reset). :D

Hope that helps someone out there.

Upvote 0
Finally allowed :eek: OTA Update 4.5.605 on Droid X after I installed VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper from market AND RAN VOODOO to back up root (originally z4root). Phone would then get stuck on red Motorola logo at boot. Nothing would work (battery out, sdcard out, etc). :mad:

Finally downloaded RSD Lite, and Android 2.3.3 to windows PC. Hooked up USB cable and booted phone into bootloader my holding camera and volume button while pushing power. Ran RSDLite and installed 2.3.3. Took like 15 or 20 minutes but finally everything worked except root (it kept all my apps, etc). Root did not work until I ran VooDoo again and 'restored' root. All is well in the world again! :)

- RSD Lite 4.9
- Android 2.3.3 System Version 4.5.602
(from sites.google.com/site/1kdsdroidx/home)
Instructions: droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-sbf/12015-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html

Hope this helps others and thanks to everyone.

Reactions: james plaza
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones