• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Radio Interface Resource Shortage

Okay, I was able to go to the "HTC Update" setting on the phone an manually pull the update today.

The phone performed a firmware update that took about 10 minutes or so over 3G and then rebooted, indicating the update was successfully applied.

Settings > about phone > Software information > the Software Number now reads;

1.14.652.0 710RD

I'm hoping that this not only fixes the resource shortage error that appears when texting, but also some missed phone calls and inability to make outgoing phone call connections when dialing.

Is there some way to force it? It says there are no updates available, but i still have version 1.13.652.2 710RD :(

Upvote 0
Is there some way to force it? It says there are no updates available, but i still have version 1.13.652.2 710RD :(

You can try this.

According to both Virgin and HTC (when I phoned them just now), only HTC can supply this update.

The HTC rep indicated that you may have success with the update if you "Checkin" before checking for it.

So, goto your phone dialer, type in the following;

*#*#CHECKIN#*#*

or numerically;

*#*#2432546#*#*

Do not press call, but wait for the "checkin succeeded" message to appear on your notification bar, then head for;

Settings > System Updates > HTC Software update > "Check now" button at the bottom

and see if the update is now available.

Some folks mention that they needed to be on 3G (not wifi) to do the initial checkin.

Upvote 0
You can try this.

No luck. :(

Also check out what your radio baseband is, with the update it should be 1.09.00.0706, my phone has been updated with the radio but still shows the original 1.13 build instead of the 1.14

It says "baseband version" is "1.06.00.0426" and the "build number" is "1.13.652.2_R2 CL372137 release-keys" :(

611 says they reset the phone (paraphrased), and to pull the battery for an hour then 'update profile', which did not work, of course.

They're sending a replacement. When I get it, I will keep whichever of the two has the latest versions, and if both have version 1.13[...], then I'm going to try the methods in the "fix everything" thread, or dump it on eBay and get the VM iPhone.

I'm hesitant to try the "fix everything" methods because I don't want to void the warranty, but a void warranty is better than the loss from dumping it on eBay, plus it appears the phone can be restored to factory condition if needed.

Upvote 0
I'm hesitant to try the "fix everything" methods because I don't want to void the warranty, but a void warranty is better than the loss from dumping it on eBay, plus it appears the phone can be restored to factory condition if needed.
Trust me, I went through 6 Triumphs within a few months and every single one was rooted and ROM'd and I never had any issues with Virgin about replacements, they are probably one of the most tolerant carriers when it comes to users modifying their devices. As long as your rooting efforts don't directly contribute to the demise of the phone you won't have any problems with warranty claims.

Upvote 0
Trust me, I went through 6 Triumphs within a few months and every single one was rooted and ROM'd and I never had any issues with Virgin about replacements, they are probably one of the most tolerant carriers when it comes to users modifying their devices. As long as your rooting efforts don't directly contribute to the demise of the phone you won't have any problems with warranty claims.

VM is not consistent. One agent told me they would not replace it for me, a different agent did send a replacement, but VM sent an HTC V1 by accident.

To their credit, they did send the wrong phone overnight, so that was nice I suppose. :mad:

Upvote 0
so i just activated this phone a few days ago, i love it all but the error...
and there was supposedly an update to fix it, but i did the checkin, and it still says there is not one.
my software number is
1.13.652.2 71ORD.
the radio baseband is 1.06.00.0426
is there some reason the update does not show up?
If i do the turn into a 3d fix, does it lose any capabilities?
i have never done ROMs, or flashes and am hesitant. this is the first high end phone i have had. (got it for $100 off on black friday)

so was there really an update, did it fix things, and can i get it?
thanks.

EDIT
I found the recieved update thread, and read up on that. unfortunately the dec 29 mark would be like just after the 30 day return i think, unless it is from the phones activation (apposed to ship date)
in which case i would have to the second.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
After this update, it's taking about 3 hours for me to get my texts. And a few minutes to send them. I'm getting the Radio Interface Resource Shortage error every time I send a text now. For me, it's worse than before the update.

I'm also getting a massive amount of "ConnectivityService" partial wakelocks (which apparently means my phone is trying to establish and maintain data connections) which is draining my battery like never before.

Most of this is happening while I'm on a strong wifi connection, with data turned off.

Halp?

Upvote 0
VM is actually rather respected, often topping prepaid carrier surveys. I can't find a prepaid specific one, but users tend to actually be happier than post-paid users in regards to their carrier.

If you really want torture, try dealing with AT&T.
Verizon best, AT&T worst in Consumer Reports carrier survey - Technology on NBCNews.com

Yes, AT&T sucks, and the torture is in the form of bad service AND high cost... At least Virgin spares the customer the high cost part of that equation, but the other part is hard to know when one's phone won't work. To deny that this phone (as shipped) is a turd, is to deny reality. Not everyone wants to root their phone in order to make it work.

Upvote 0
Yes, AT&T sucks, and the torture is in the form of bad service AND high cost... At least Virgin spares the customer the high cost part of that equation, but the other part is hard to know when one's phone won't work. To deny that this phone (as shipped) is a turd, is to deny reality. Not everyone wants to root their phone in order to make it work.
Most people don't experience the call issue to the extent some have, so you get some people making out as a death sentence, where for others it's merely an inconvenience. Some never experience the problem.

So I wouldn't say the phone was a turd, but that it did have problems. A lesser carrier and manufacturer would leave without a fix entirely.

Upvote 0
Most people don't experience the call issue to the extent some have, so you get some people making out as a death sentence, where for others it's merely an inconvenience. Some never experience the problem.

So I wouldn't say the phone was a turd, but that it did have problems. A lesser carrier and manufacturer would leave without a fix entirely.

The SMS issue is merely an inconvenience. The inability to receive calls is the problematic part. And for some, that could be a safety issue, and perhaps even a death sentence, I suppose.

And to their credit, I got my (Sprint branded) replacement yesterday, and I am happy to say that so far, I have not had a problem. On the other hand, the issue did not present itself on the Virgin branded original for over a week, so whether the issue is resolved remains to be seen.

[note: no update received as of December 17. added strikethrough]

Upvote 0

THERE IS A FIX??? I just bought two of these phone (+30 days) and they don't work. I sent about five hours of trying to root the phone. But the phones don't even connect to my computer. HTC sync is terrible. I have not had service in one week. I have to travel 2 miles from where I live to use my phone. I would not call that a fix.

Upvote 0
THERE IS A FIX??? I just bought two of these phone (+30 days) and they don't work. I sent about five hours of trying to root the phone. But the phones don't even connect to my computer. HTC sync is terrible. I have not had service in one week. I have to travel 2 miles from where I live to use my phone. I would not call that a fix.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem as if the update has been pushed to your phones yet, what's your baseband and software version?

Upvote 0

Well not too long ago the huawei mercury from cricket had a much smaller glitch than this and they suspended all sales until the issue was resolved. They just kept selling bad evo v 4Gs with no regard to all the customers who they knew would have issues so severe as to render the phone essentially useless. It has been many months and still no fix. If there is a lesser carrier than that, I'd hate to see them. This approach of do NOTHING in the short term and slowly (very) work on a supposed fix should definitely not be the gold standard.

I had severe issues with calls and text messages and went through 2 of these with the same issues. But even if it was just the text messages i couldn't make or receive literally half the time i would count that as more than merely an inconvenience.

Reactions: EazySteve
Upvote 0
Well not too long ago the huawei mercury from cricket had a much smaller glitch than this and they suspended all sales until the issue was resolved. They just kept selling bad evo v 4Gs with no regard to all the customers who they knew would have issues so severe as to render the phone essentially useless. It has been many months and still no fix. If there is a lesser carrier than that, I'd hate to see them. This approach of do NOTHING in the short term and slowly (very) work on a supposed fix should definitely not be the gold standard.
And you know it was a smaller problem how?

Did you somehow see the sales figures or problem reports?

As for Cricket, I wouldn't exactly hold them up as a standard for quality.

Upvote 0
And you know it was a smaller problem how?

Did you somehow see the sales figures or problem reports?

As for Cricket, I wouldn't exactly hold them up as a standard for quality.

I know it was a smaller problem, as far as affecting phone usability, based on everything I read about it; in news articles and forums. I do not know how many phones it affected.

I also would not hold up cricket as a standard for quality. This was one instance which I happened to know about, and believe this should have been the course virgin mobile took regarding the evo v 4G. I have owned both the Huawei mercury and the EVO v 4G, and it is my opinion that the way they have handled this fiasco lacks integrity on their part as a legitimate business.

I'm stating my opinion based on my personal experience. I was able to return both defective units I purchased for a refund. I had them both for only a couple days or so each. About a week total. They worked properly for approximately 30% of that time. If that. I was, however, out the $50 I spent on a service card for a month of service I was not able to use. Since at that time they had no other decent phones to choose from.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones